medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to LazMan

to LazMan

Re: Benefits of Wired Network

said by LazMan:

said by nunya:

Realistically, I'd install 1 RG6 and 1 Cat5 or Cat6 cable to each room. In new construction, it would be silly not to.

+1 and exactly what I did when I built my house last year; with one exception...

I did 2 x Cat5e & 2 x RG6 to the planned TV locations - Media players / BluRay players / SmartTV's / STB's all want internet connections these days, and for streaming media, Wired is just more reliable... To be honest, I'm almost wishing I'd gone 3 x LAN at the TV locations.

in another thread old_tech See ProfileRe: looking for thread w clean wiring ] believes that wireless will be KING in the next few years, believing it will overtake wired connections in everything....

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

He's absolutely right. In fact, in resi situations wireless IS king right now, and it will continue to reign.

Am I saying wireless is superior? No. But for most people it's "good enough". The problem with asking a question like this on DSLR is that you will elicit responses from a demographic that is "techie" saturated. Most normal people are not. All they care about is whether or not Facebook and email works.

Very few of my customers will even consider having wired networks installed these days. Why? Because they are happy with their wireless. All they want is coax for their CATV / SAT. Fortunately, coax can carry both video and data if a wired connection is needed in the future.

In the 90's and even early 2000's, I was pulling composite cables with included fiber optic cables. I now realize what a total and complete waste it was. The WANs capable of delivering those kind of speeds never came.
Realistically, FTTP and Gigabit WAN connections will not happen any time in the near future for 99% of us.

Yes, it does make perfect sense to install wired networks in a new home. It does not make any sense to go completely overboard.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by nunya:

He's absolutely right. In fact, in resi situations wireless IS king right now, and it will continue to reign.

Am I saying wireless is superior? No. But for most people it's "good enough". The problem with asking a question like this on DSLR is that you will elicit responses from a demographic that is "techie" saturated. Most normal people are not. All they care about is whether or not Facebook and email works.

did you read his posts? he said wireless is KING in speeds...he claims that wireless can surpass 1gig and 2 gig soon with wireless ac which is still technically a draft.

wired on the other hand is KING now in terms of speeds alone and can easily do 1gig now.

but yes, it is not superior and I wouldn't rely on it. I agree it is good enough but the not the best. I still like my wired connections with the exception of maybe using my iphone and a tablet or laptop...

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to medbuyer

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by kontos:

said by medbuyer:

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1

I'm doing that already....thanks for your input...

I've got 2 a/p's that double as switches, 1 in master bedroom and 1 in my living room serving my ht needs...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I took a similar route. Yeah, 28 network connections per room is the way to go, but my a/p's work pretty darn well.