All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bbohannon
@comcast.net

bbohannon

Anon

No more wifi after OpenWRT firmware upgrade!

Let me first start off by saying I have no idea what I'm doing. I was having major stability issues with my TPLink WDR4300 and after a little bit of research, decided to upgrade the firmware to OpenWRT. I found a post online and followed these instructions:

1- Make sure your router is version 1.x (x can be any number).
2- Download the openwrt firmware from here: »downloads.openwrt.org/sn ··· tory.bin
3- Download putty command tool from here: »the.earth.li/~sgtatham/p ··· utty.exe
4- Login to your router config page (192.168.0.1) using internet explorer browser and update the firmware to openwrt. Use the firmware file you downloaded in step 2.
5- Now open Putty software you downloaded in step 3. Enter host name: 192.168.1.1, Connection Type choose: Telnet. Now click open. Now you will see the command line with black screen,
6- Now type "passwd" into the command line and press enter on the keyboard. Now choose your new password to access the router make sure password has letter and number. Repeat type password and press enter. Password should be changed now.
7- Type into the command "opkg update" and press enter on keyboard, Wait for it to do some download and updates. Once finished, type this "opkg install luci" and press enter
8- Type this into the command to enable luci "/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable" and press enter on keyboard.
9- Type this into the command "/etc/init.d/uhttpd start" and press enter on the keyboard. Now you can close Putty.
10- Open internet explorer in the address bar punch in: 192.168.1.1 and use the password you created to login to the router config page. Go to the wifi section and turn on the wifi and set up wireless security network.

Everything worked fine until I got to the last step and go to the "wifi section and turn on wifi." After a bit more digging, I noticed that there is not a "Wifi" option under the 19192.168.1.1 portal "Network" tab. After getting frustrated and more hours trying to figure it out, I elected to try and go back to stock firmware. On Luci, I selected restore to factory settings and the router did its thing and restarted. Now I can't login to Luci (obviously) since it was no longer enabled in Putty. I try and run Putty to connect to 192.168.1.1 and it just opens and immediately closes. It will not connect. I also can no longer login to (192.168.0.1). Further, when I try and run the TPLink setup disk, I receive the error "Please check the network connectivity" and "Please check the model of your router." The Wifi light on the router does not turn on (it is switched on). I'm stuck and don't know what to do! I use this router in a home office with multiple wifi users. Please help!! I don't mind going back to stock firmware since I can't figure this out, I just want my wifi back!
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 recommendation

plat2on1

»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp- ··· -wdr4300

looks like someone reported wlan not working on ver 1.4 other versions should work fine with 12.09 final

btw your links are broken so no one can see what you downloaded