spc
uniqs
xmd
join:2009-06-25
Carlsbad, CA

xmd to 46436203

to 46436203

Re: [TWC] TWC Business Class Wideband 35/5 and 50/5 - No Deal

The Static IP address issue is not as simple as you make it seem. Let's say you want to run two or three different servers - often, you simply can't do that from a single IP address, no matter how fancy you make your NAT / router configuration. Unfortunately, their price for static IPs is simply highway robbery: $25/month for 1 static IP, $35/month for 5 static IPs. Ouch.

What I may end up doing is just getting a second consumer-level account and then splitting services between the two.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY

jpatton1979

Plus you're not allowed to host servers (i.e. mail, web, FTP, etc) on a residential account. It's a violation of the TOU/AUP/ETC.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to xmd

Premium Member

to xmd
said by xmd:

The Static IP address issue is not as simple as you make it seem. Let's say you want to run two or three different servers - often, you simply can't do that from a single IP address, no matter how fancy you make your NAT / router configuration. Unfortunately, their price for static IPs is simply highway robbery: $25/month for 1 static IP, $35/month for 5 static IPs. Ouch.

I've set up all sorts of things for small businesses, and found the need for using more than one public IP extremely rare. You may just need a smarter router (linux box or PFSense) in-line to route the requests to where you want them.

When I had secondary IPs available I think the only use I found for them was to set up a "back door" access port just incase I was working on the firewall/routing rules remotely and locked myself out.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

I've set up all sorts of things for small businesses, and found the need for using more than one public IP extremely rare. You may just need a smarter router (linux box or PFSense) in-line to route the requests to where you want them.

While not strictly needed (you are logging access, right?), I like multiple IPs as I can put the business network on 1 and any public/semi-public WiFi (i.e. employee personal devices) on another to help quickly narrow down where abuse/copyright complaints originated from. It also allows you to use multiple cheap, off the shelf SoHo firewall/routers to have separate networks if you don't need anything fancy.

/M