spc
uniqs
mpovit
join:2005-04-19
Dundee, IL

mpovit to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: [Connectivity] Do I Need a 10/100/1000 Switch

I am mixed up now. On my existing setup all I did was connect one of the 4 ports on the back of my modem to one of the ports on my jfs524. If I get the jgs524 could I do the same? Does the modem that Comcast uses have 4 ports? Are the modems with the four ports considered routers? What should I use besides the jgs524. Please forgive me if I am asking dumb questions, I have only setup simple networks like I have now.

Thanks,

Marc

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

tshirt See Profile is stating that if you want "NAT", you would need a router between the modem & switch. You don't need it if you are not concerned.

ref: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne ··· nslation

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to mpovit

MVM

to mpovit
said by mpovit:

Are the modems with the four ports considered routers?

Those are called, "Residential Gateways"; and, yes, they comprise a router and modem combined in one box. Fairly common with DSL service; not so much with cable service.

I have worked with two models. I don't recall which one CenturyLink issued for my mother, other than it was VDSL. My ISP issued an ADSL2+ RG. I found it rather limiting, compared with my old D-Link DIR-655. So I brought the old ADSL2+ modem from another residence, and combined it with an ASUS RT-AC66U.

IMO, a separate modem and router is preferable to an RG. ISPs will always "cheap out" on the CPE.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to mpovit

Premium Member

to mpovit
Yes, upgrading to the jgs524 will work the same if the modem you have is a "gateway" i.e. has the router function built -in, which is what you are describing.
A couple other considerations are that depending on how you use it the gateway may not have adequate routing 'power'/controls to really route well on your LAN if you have many fast/high powered devices attached (gateways/all-in-ones, being sort of a compromise of modem and router blended together) you'll have to see if it causes any slow downs.

The other is ComCast is rapidly deploying IPv6, and if I was going to spend a couple $100 on a new switch I'd want it to be able to handle IPv6 pass through functions.
The truth is unless you are already running multiple high power machines on your LAN your current switch may be fine.
I just don't want to see you over spend so can you describe how many ports, and what kind of devices/services you are currently running through the switch.
There are no dumb questions, if you aren't sure, it's worth asking.
BTW Is this a business? home on a business account? Using static IP's from comcast?
mpovit
Dundee, IL

mpovit

I want to thank you all for your help. My network is simple. I currently have the 24 port jfs524 being fed from my Uverse modem. (Pace 3801 HGV) I have wired outlets throughout my house for 16 of the twenty four ports through a patch panel. I am currently using them as follows. I have two active wired computers on the network. In addition one line from the switch is going to my family room where I have a Direct TV DVR
that utilizes my network for the Whole Home DVR setup. I also have my Samsung flat screen connected to the network in the family room. In the family room I used a small 5 port switch so I did not have to run an individual line to the DVR and the TV. I have one wireless computer. I know the next question you are asking, why do you need a 105 mbs connection. I don't have a good answer for you. I think I will be getting a gateway from Comcast because wireless is included. Even if it was not a gateway and had a single port could I just plug it into the jgs524?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by mpovit:

I think I will be getting a gateway from Comcast because wireless is included. Even if it was not a gateway and had a single port could I just plug it into the jgs524?

Nope, if you want 105 it's fine by me.
Plugging in directly wouldn't work unless you went on a business account and paid extra for "static IP's for each device.
Having/controlling the router in your home adds another security layer so I recommend it.
Of all the compromises gateways have, the wireless portion is among the worst.
Often the best placement for the modem, is a poor position for the wireless AP function and many Gateways already have weak radios and few available controls to make the best of use of what power the have.

From your description your house is fairly large and for your use your current switch is should be fine. I would rather see you spend the money on a good router and your own modem (and maybe a second AP depending on the wireless usage)

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

Streetlight

I agree w/ tshirt and others in this thread.

If you plan on keeping Comcast as your ISP for a year, you're better off buying your own modem. Current b, g, n modems (Motorola, Zoom) run around $80. At $7/month rental from Comcast you'll be saving money in about a year. Folks in these forums seem to be unanimous in suggesting a separate modem-router configuration. Besides being more flexible (easy firmware updates, easy/flexible configuration options, etc.) if something goes wrong it's easy to diagnose whether it's the modem or router that went bad and replace the one appliance. You can also future proof yourself today by getting an 802.11ac WiFi router. I've seen the Netgear ac router for $125.

The OP didn't say if he's getting telephone service from Comcast. If so your options are limited. Others in the thread can comment on those limitations.
mpovit
Dundee, IL

mpovit

I just got Internet only. I am planning on getting my own modem. According to Comcast they will be installing an Aeris 862 TMG Gateway that has 4 gigabit ports on it.