Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mpovit

join:2005-04-19
Dundee, IL
reply to tshirt

Re: [Connectivity] Do I Need a 10/100/1000 Switch

I want to thank you all for your help. My network is simple. I currently have the 24 port jfs524 being fed from my Uverse modem. (Pace 3801 HGV) I have wired outlets throughout my house for 16 of the twenty four ports through a patch panel. I am currently using them as follows. I have two active wired computers on the network. In addition one line from the switch is going to my family room where I have a Direct TV DVR
that utilizes my network for the Whole Home DVR setup. I also have my Samsung flat screen connected to the network in the family room. In the family room I used a small 5 port switch so I did not have to run an individual line to the DVR and the TV. I have one wireless computer. I know the next question you are asking, why do you need a 105 mbs connection. I don't have a good answer for you. I think I will be getting a gateway from Comcast because wireless is included. Even if it was not a gateway and had a single port could I just plug it into the jgs524?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by mpovit:

I think I will be getting a gateway from Comcast because wireless is included. Even if it was not a gateway and had a single port could I just plug it into the jgs524?

Nope, if you want 105 it's fine by me.
Plugging in directly wouldn't work unless you went on a business account and paid extra for "static IP's for each device.
Having/controlling the router in your home adds another security layer so I recommend it.
Of all the compromises gateways have, the wireless portion is among the worst.
Often the best placement for the modem, is a poor position for the wireless AP function and many Gateways already have weak radios and few available controls to make the best of use of what power the have.

From your description your house is fairly large and for your use your current switch is should be fine. I would rather see you spend the money on a good router and your own modem (and maybe a second AP depending on the wireless usage)

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

I agree w/ tshirt and others in this thread.

If you plan on keeping Comcast as your ISP for a year, you're better off buying your own modem. Current b, g, n modems (Motorola, Zoom) run around $80. At $7/month rental from Comcast you'll be saving money in about a year. Folks in these forums seem to be unanimous in suggesting a separate modem-router configuration. Besides being more flexible (easy firmware updates, easy/flexible configuration options, etc.) if something goes wrong it's easy to diagnose whether it's the modem or router that went bad and replace the one appliance. You can also future proof yourself today by getting an 802.11ac WiFi router. I've seen the Netgear ac router for $125.

The OP didn't say if he's getting telephone service from Comcast. If so your options are limited. Others in the thread can comment on those limitations.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

mpovit

join:2005-04-19
Dundee, IL

I just got Internet only. I am planning on getting my own modem. According to Comcast they will be installing an Aeris 862 TMG Gateway that has 4 gigabit ports on it.