All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09 to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: [SK] bandwidth counter broken?

Yes, majority is SSL NNTP from a 3rd party server. Are the no longer counting NNTP?
My usage has been 150+ gigs for the last several month, then April, possibly my highest usage yet, is >50.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

NNTP has never been counted, or counted very rarely...

Last time I had access to their system (this was a long ways back), their internal tool didn't show NNTP traffic either.

There are a few threads about it here
kevinds

kevinds to dazman09

Premium Member

to dazman09

Last time I had access to their system (this was a long ways back), their internal tool didn't show NNTP traffic either.

waldstein
join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

1 edit

waldstein

said by kevinds:

Could you clear up an ambiguity, please? Do you mean ALL nntp, or simply those on a non-standard port? Also, is SSL a factor? Reason I ask: I use third party nntp for nearly all my dl's, port 119, no ssl. And, trust me, they are most certainly counted here, as my usage meter is nearly always within a few percent of my router's count (allowing for the stupid 2 day lag on Shaw's meters).

My modem, btw, is the smc in modem-only mode.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

No idea,

When I tested it, all NNTP and SNNTP wasn't counted, I did 2TB NNTP and NNTP-SSL using the standard ports, counters showed 100GB

From experience, most NNTP traffic isn't counted, don't know how/why

Maybe they are starting to fix the bug, or it only applies to certain modem models?

It bothered me for a long while why it wasn't counted, but I eventually stopped trying to figure it out.
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09

This is a first for me, NNTP has always been counted. Our counter shows over 200gigs back in January. I was the only one home and I'm pretty sure something like 85+% of that would be NNTP exclusively. Not sure what else it could have been.
Same with last month. No clue how we would have done 170gigs not including NNTP. Something has changed this month for sure.