Search similar:

uniqs

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

[DSL] New house, new line, Bell says No Teksavvy

Hello Teksavvy People,

My sister just had a new house built in Russell, Ontario...it's southeast of Ottawa. The Bell guy is installing the line right now and says it's "Fiber" so she can't get Teksavvy with it...

...is that true?
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

If it's Fiber to the Home, yes. TekSavvy does not use Bell's Fiber lines to the home.

However, you should clarrify with Bell whether it's actually Fiber (as in Fiber to the Home) or "Fibe" which has nothing to do with Fiber to your home. There are a few places in QC where Bell is rolling out Fiber.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to davidl

Premium Member

to davidl
If its true Fiber to the Home (FTTH), then unfortunately it's Bell only, and likely will be for many years until Bell is forced to share it with wholesale.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

So "Fibe" is still a regular copper phone line that you can Teksavvy services on?
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to davidl

to davidl
Yup, Bell's "Fibe" is "Fiber to the Node" (FTTN) which is the box down the end of the street and then VDSL2 over the standard copper telephone wires to the house.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!
josh7878
join:2012-11-01
K2J5T2

josh7878 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

If its true Fiber to the Home (FTTH), then unfortunately it's Bell only, and likely will be for many years until Bell is forced to share it with wholesale.

Bell does FTTN wholesale already.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson

You can get real fibre for a business account on TSI but it's expensive as heck.
Ares45
Premium Member
join:2007-11-14

Ares45 to josh7878

Premium Member

to josh7878
said by josh7878:

said by HiVolt:

Bell does FTTN wholesale already.

Yes, but not FTTH wholesale - which is what HiVolt said.
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer to davidl

Premium Member

to davidl
It should also be noted that Bell's fiber internet prices are better than their regular prices. For instance their 50/50 (250GB) connection is 50$. So it's actually comparable to TSI's rate.

If you wanted a smaller plan, I'm not sure it compares as favorably.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

I think my sister was just hoping to get her 5 Meg DSL with Teksavvy going for now...she had that in Ottawa and doesn't want to lose her email address, etc.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DSL_Ricer

Premium Member

to DSL_Ricer
said by DSL_Ricer:

It should also be noted that Bell's fiber internet prices are better than their regular prices. For instance their 50/50 (250GB) connection is 50$. So it's actually comparable to TSI's rate.

Is it a time limited promo, or requires other bell services in a bundle, or some kind of term commitment?

I doubt its an everyday price for a single service.

FTTHTechie
@axxent.ca

FTTHTechie to notfred

Anon

to notfred
said by notfred:

Yup, Bell's "Fibe" is "Fiber to the Node" (FTTN) which is the box down the end of the street and then VDSL2 over the standard copper telephone wires to the house.

"Fibe" is both FTTH/FTTN. It covers both kind of FTTx deployments. Check their websites and you will see that the name applies to both.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to davidl

Premium Member

to davidl
said by davidl:

Hello Teksavvy People,

My sister just had a new house built in Russell, Ontario...it's southeast of Ottawa. The Bell guy is installing the line right now and says it's "Fiber" so she can't get Teksavvy with it...

...is that true?

I've had this happen to a customer before. He got the full on fibe TV fibe internet combo, but then wanted to switch to Teksavvy DSL with Bell phone. Bell said no way, this is a "fibe" service. So, he switched his POTS line to Teksavvy as well. Voila, not more "fibe" issue.

That should be ancient history though. Now that Teksavvy FTTN is totally normal, the fibe excuse shouldn't work any more..

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by DSL_Ricer:

Is it a time limited promo, or requires other bell services in a bundle, or some kind of term commitment?

I doubt its an everyday price for a single service.

Agreed, here in Sudbury Bell is offering 50/30 service for $44.95/mth but that's for the 1st 3 mos then it goes to $84.95/mo.

20/15 service available for $29.95/mo then its $69.95/mo after the promo ends.
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer

Premium Member

Wow, try to see if you can sign up to this:
»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· et_50_50

But HiVolt is right, the 50$ price is in a bundle (with 1 other service). It's 54$ with no other service. Yes, that is the ongoing price, not an N month promotion (I checked with a service agent just to make sure, however much that's worth).
jimatstorm
JiminRussell
join:2008-04-11
Russell, ON

jimatstorm to davidl

to davidl
I live in Russell and as far as I know the only service offered by Bell is old 5/.8 DSL. If you search their web site using postal codes for any of the three areas were new houses are being built in Russell the only thing that comes up is the 5/.8 DSL service. I would love it if they offered anything else (like 25/10 or 50/10) I would drop cable in a heart beat if they did.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

@JimInRussell ...once we get more details of what they're installing, I'll let you know. They are apparently installing a cable line at the same time so she might go with Teksavvy over Rogers if she can't get it over Bell.

For what it's worth, I can't get any of the new speeds where I'm at yet either...we're always the last to get anything...took forever just to get the 5 Meg DSL here.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to DSL_Ricer

to DSL_Ricer
said by DSL_Ricer:

Wow, try to see if you can sign up to this:
»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· et_50_50

But HiVolt is right, the 50$ price is in a bundle (with 1 other service). It's 54$ with no other service. Yes, that is the ongoing price, not an N month promotion (I checked with a service agent just to make sure, however much that's worth).

"Available to new customers and current Bell Internet dial-up customers with an account in good standing who continuously subscribe to the Bundle with Bell Fibe Internet 50/50 and at least one other select service; see bell.ca/bundledetails. Promotional $49.95 monthly rate: monthly rate is $86.95 (subject to change), less $33.00 ongoing monthly credit, less $4 Bundle discount. $82.95/mo thereafter."

From the bell website itself. $54 is not the ongoing price.
lewism
join:2008-04-25
Brossard, QC

lewism

Yeah the ongoing credit last for 990 months (i.e. for life) or until Bell screws up your account.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by lewism:

Yeah the ongoing credit last for 990 months (i.e. for life) or until Bell screws up your account.

Then why does it say $82.95/month thereafter? Are they being so courteous to give me a heads up that they intend on screwing up our accounts in the future? Or is there something else they're implying?

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Qsig to davidl

to davidl
If this is a brand new house, it should be FTTH. Bell is only doing FTTH in new developments as it's just as cost effective to install fibre instead of copper during development of an area.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

It is a brand new house. Makes sense given the price of copper these days. Bell should recycle all their old copper before copper thieves steal it and replace everybody's lines with fiber optics

Jethro86
join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON

Jethro86 to davidl

to davidl
MY bro-in-law is in Russell, Ont and can get 6M DSL AND 18M Cable from Teksavvy. They hang off of the St. Laurent node.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Yes, my sister has decided to go with Cable as Bell did install Fiber To The House...so, the only way to get Teksavvy is through Rogers for now.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Qsig

Premium Member

to Qsig
said by Qsig:

If this is a brand new house, it should be FTTH. Bell is only doing FTTH in new developments as it's just as cost effective to install fibre instead of copper during development of an area.

Well, actually a lot more cost effective, no competition from Teksavvy
kg77
join:2007-12-24

kg77 to davidl

to davidl
said by davidl:

copper thieves steal it and replace everybody's lines with fiber optics

Sounds like a plan... how do I get the copper thieves into my neighborhood?

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

citizens may have to start their own isp that will upgrade the lines to fiber to the home... bell and rogers don't do anything

»www.fiberoptics4sale.com/