All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
observer9
join:2013-04-29

observer9

TekSavvy business practice and customer service, or lack of

So, I just called TekSavvy and spoke to the accounting department to pay my bill using my credit card. I do this every month when I get my invoice in my email.
At the end of the transaction I asked if she knew anything about the speed upgrades in my area since it looks like they have made improvements and the 18 Mbs that I signed up on is no longer available and they have bumped it up to 25, does it happen automatically or do I need call in and ask for it?
She replied “no it is not automatic, you need to call CS and put in a speed change request, there is a $5 charge but it will be waived since you are not switching packages, the speed has changed on your existing package.”
Great, would you mind transferring me?
No problem, but be warned, their wait time is about 20 minutes at the moment.

So, I end up waiting on hold for 20 minutes to get Chris on line who tells me there is a $5 charge for the speed change.

Well, guess what? From a customer perspective it is not fair for TekSavvy to charge their existing customers to upgrade them to their "current" package that a new customer would get without having to ask or pay extra.

Yes, if I was switching packages, then I can see TekSavvy charging me in accordance with published policy, but I am not switching, it is the same package.

If I was to sign up today, I would be paying the same price for my modem that I did 6 months ago, the same activation fee, the same shipping rate and so on, but would receive the 25 Mbs speed, plain and simple.

I did pay all of these charges, gladly, since that was what it took to get my service going with TekSavvy, but today the speed of my package has been upgraded to 25 Mbs for the same price, I would expect to see my service upgraded along with everyone else.

It’s not bad enough that I have to call in to request a speed change? But to put the icing on the cake they charge me too?

For this, I say shame on you TekSavvy, you should take another look at your business practice and customer service, or in this case lack there of.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

The $5 charge goes to Rogers and Rogers will collect it from TSI every time a TSI customer requests a speed change. They want their money, no exceptions.

Switching from 18/0.5 to 25/2 is indeed a speed change and the $5 fee is applicable. They shouldn't have told you otherwise.

Did you just order 18/0.5 and are upgrading to 25/2 before the service is even activated? If so then yes, I can see how that is unfair. Otherwise you would have been grandfathered into the 18/0.5 plan and payed the same rate as before - you would not be forced to pay the change fee, ever. These upgrades are not automatic for existing customers and you would not get the new speeds unless you specifically asked for them.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to observer9

Premium Member

to observer9
said by observer9:

So, I end up waiting on hold for 20 minutes to get Chris on line who tells me there is a $5 charge for the speed change.

Well, guess what? From a customer perspective it is not fair for TekSavvy to charge their existing customers to upgrade them to their "current" package that a new customer would get without having to ask or pay extra.

Hello observer9 See Profile

Sorry to see that you received that information.

We are currently waiving the $5 COS fee to change the speed when moving from non-aggregated to aggregated, after the move is complete.

If you wouldn't mind providing me your account information I'll make sure we remind Chris about the $5 fee being waived.

Regards,
Martin

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch

said by JenSuisUn:

We are currently waiving the $5 COS fee to change the speed when moving from non-aggregated to aggregated, after the move is complete.

That's great Martin! It's only $5 but it's nice that you'll do this.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

said by observer9:

If you wouldn't mind providing me your account information I'll make sure we remind Chris about the $5 fee being waived.

Regards,
Martin

Not sure if serious.. Last time I brought this up. I got flamed like hell.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

2 edits

Tx

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

said by JenSuisUn:

said by observer9:

Regards,
Martin

That is why it irritates me to see others so quick to flame when they let their love overrule fact. I do remember hearing TSI waiving this fee in another thread. I believe Marc said it exactly as Martin just said.

Heck i got flamed for discussing wireless when someone didn't have a clue TSI offered wireless. People just turn to ignorant quickly in TSI's defense.

Best advice to all customers, don't believe anything users say on the forums and ask Teksavvy DIRECTLY. Via the direct forum or phoning in.
said by Fraoch:

said by JenSuisUn:

That's great Martin! It's only $5 but it's nice that you'll do this.

It's not 'nice' of them, they do it because they feel it's the right thing to do. Trust me, a business doesn't do things to be nice. If you pick being nice over your business, you're going to fail.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Out of curiosity, wasn't it due to the $5 fee related to getting a modem provisioned?

I could be wrong.

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

It's not 'nice' of them, they do it because they feel it's the right thing to do. Trust me, a business doesn't do things to be nice. If you pick being nice over your business, you're going to fail.

TSI appears nicer than Rogers to me, and that gets them my business.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by Fraoch:

said by Tx:

TSI appears nicer than Rogers to me, and that gets them my business.

Absolutely, they are far more friendly. There isn't even a comparison. One cares, the other does not. That said, it has nothing to do with my reply to you or your comment. They aren't doing it to be nice. They have made many friends along the way but they aren't in business to make friends, they are in business because i believe Marc and Rocky loved the industry and business. They thought it was a great way to feed their families. (look at their old T1 setup - If that's not enjoying what you do i don't know what is) They became successful because they are good. They won't be crediting you money because they are nice though.

Fraoch
Cambridge, ON

Fraoch

OK, I didn't phrase that properly I guess.

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to observer9

to observer9
I bet they also left out the $100+ charge for a new Docsis 3.0 modem you're going to need in order to get speed upgrade.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by neuromancer1:

I bet they also left out the $100+ charge for a new Docsis 3.0 modem you're going to need in order to get speed upgrade.

Perhaps he already has a D3 modem?
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Am I hearing this correctly? The $5 change of service is going to be waived for those switching after the aggregated upgrade? Is so that's great news, I know my parents are anxious to switch as soon as York Mills gets upgraded.
geokilla
North York, ON

1 edit

geokilla to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by JenSuisUn:

said by geokilla:

Out of curiosity, wasn't it due to the $5 fee related to getting a modem provisioned?

I could be wrong.

It was $5 fee to do the speed tier change like the OP, going from TPIA to ATPIA. All the fanboys rushed to Teksavvy's defense, and I was the only one with a reasonable mind that would "pay with my wallet" and state that while the competition and Rogers' own retail customers don't charge the $5 fee, Teksavvy charges it. You guys and the fanboys argued that Teksavvy can't afford to suck up the $5 charge, and instead choose to pass it to the customers so you can keep your profits while leaving customers disgruntled with the decision. By all means you guys can do that, but it's not a good thing to do.

So unless you guys have had a change of heart due to complaints or something, I bet you I'll get flamed some more.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

I still Stand By My Initial assessment Its Horse shit that teksavvy is waiving the fee, Its not being replaced Teksavvy is more than willing to leave You On existing packages, Its Just an out of market Plan. Geo just complains about everything hell the amount of time he spends on these topics he coulda made $5 bucks and paid the fee and not had to care.. rofl. Its like people who Strike for more money within a week of striking they have lost more than the raise will give them.
observer9
join:2013-04-29

observer9

It looks like I should have just sucked it up and let it go, I did not want to start a war...

I had absolutely no intention of starting a war on this forum, but that’s what seems to be happening here.

My intention was to simply point out where things can be improved at TekSavvy and how a "customer" feels in such a situation. I switched from Rogers to TekSavvy several months ago and been extremely happy with the switching process and the service I have been getting all along, been promoting them to all my co-workers accordingly.

The $5 charge is not a large amount of money, it's the principal that got me going and judging by the discussions on here, I should have kept my mouth shut, for that I apologize to all.

Now, getting back to two post by TekSavvy employees, it is clear that there is a bit of confusion within the organization as to what the policy is in a situation such as mine, may I suggest communicating this to everyone so that all your staff are on the same page, therefore customers are not told two different things?

As for the charges that come along with running a business, I am well aware of them since I have my own business; however we all pick and choose when to charge the customer and when to let it go in the name of "customer service". The small charges that will not add to the bottom line but will generate an unhappy customer are one the situations that generally we choose to forgo, because building a relationship with the customer ensures a long term loyalty and steady revenue stream.

I personally was not aware that for the speed change, TekSavvy would have to get Rogers involved and you have to pay them, given this info I have no issue paying that charge and I am not going to contact you Martin, as much as I appreciate the offer.

As an FYI for people who were curious about my modem, in anticipation of future upgrades I did pay more and purchased a DOCSIS 3 modem to ensure it is not obsolete in the next 6 months my hardware was not an issue.

Again, sorry to have opened a can of warm.
Expand your moderator at work

callous99
@amanah.com

callous99

Anon

Re: TekSavvy business practice and customer service, or lack of

3 weeks ago I was told that there would be a charge of $5 and you needed to call in to get the higher speeds after you are migrated to aggregated.

If there is no charge then why isnt Teksavvy outright saying they will change everybody to the higher speeds without needing to calling in?

I understand that they are very busy - but how will it help anyone if thousands of customers calls in to request the new speed and half of them are told to pay $5 while the other half is told no payment is needed, and about 75% of them wind up on this forum bitching about non-consistent payment policies?

Why doesnt marc just say no $5 fee AND everyone gets the new speeds applied without needing to call in?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by callous99 :

3 weeks ago I was told that there would be a charge of $5 and you needed to call in to get the higher speeds after you are migrated to aggregated.

If there is no charge then why isnt Teksavvy outright saying they will change everybody to the higher speeds without needing to calling in?

I understand that they are very busy - but how will it help anyone if thousands of customers calls in to request the new speed and half of them are told to pay $5 while the other half is told no payment is needed, and about 75% of them wind up on this forum bitching about non-consistent payment policies?

Why doesnt marc just say no $5 fee AND everyone gets the new speeds applied without needing to call in?

Because 2 of the tiers did not exist before, some might want to go to 45/4 or 150/10.

And, there are quite a few people that have been persistent and clung to D2 modems on 18 and 28 plans.

Not to mention the entire situation is ultimately cause by Rogers who refused to automatically bump up the speeds to begin with. The migration would have come regardless since there is a deadline.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic

Not to mention while the 25/2 plan costs the same as the current 18/0.5, the 35/3 is more expensive than the 28/1, so many people would complain if they were automatically switched.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by Scycotic:

Not to mention while the 25/2 plan costs the same as the current 18/0.5, the 35/3 is more expensive than the 28/1, so many people would complain if they were automatically switched.

Auto switch to the lower one then, assuming they have DOCSIS 3 modem and the notice was given. You're not gonna notice a 3mbps decrease in download speeds. Now if it was a 6mbps vs 3mbps download, then yes you would notice the drop. Just a thought.
emperors6
join:2010-07-16

emperors6 to observer9

to observer9
The sad thing is if they had made the fee $25 and pocketed the difference, or simply said because of the admin work on their end a lot less people would be complaining. I guess if there isn't anything major to complain about, the little things will do.