uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

pill bottles

I am going on vacation for 11 day the last of may and June. The pill bottles that get are about 2in by 3in. I would like to get some thing about half that size. Would any one know where I could get some like that? I have found sites where I could buy the small bottles that the drugs store gives but I have to buy 500.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Are you flying?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Yes I want to save space in my back pack
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

If it was me, I would keep them in the original bottles with the prescription information. I would also take the paperwork prescription information. You need to consider the worst case scenario if your pills are lost, stolen, or seized. The prescriptions may be questioned by the TSA. Have all the original bottles and paperwork ready to explain and you will be fine.

»traveltips.usatoday.com/ ··· 056.html

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll be keeping my bottles.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Or, get a blister pack from the pharmacy. It's a very good solution.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
If anything is a controlled substance, you need to original bottle with the script info.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Nothing a controlled substance just Diabetic and heart medicine

anonnn
@optonline.net

anonnn to Caddyroger

Anon

to Caddyroger
said by TSA :
TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

»www.tsa.gov/traveler-inf ··· dication
I'd guess that most states require you to use the original prescription bottles or to have a copy of the prescription information from the pharmacy, so the police can readily identify your medications.

Ask your pharmacist if he has any smaller bottles.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I would ask the pharmacist for smaller bottles.
I have been surprised by how inconsistent drug stores have been in the bottle size.
Sometimes small as a roll of pennies, sometimes as big as my wrist.
All for the same prescription: 30 pills that fills less than half the small bottle.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by ttiiggy:

I would ask the pharmacist for smaller bottles.
I have been surprised by how inconsistent drug stores have been in the bottle size.
Sometimes small as a roll of pennies, sometimes as big as my wrist.
All for the same prescription: 30 pills that fills less than half the small bottle.

Yes I know about that. One of my pills is about 3/16 x 1/8 and they ship 90 in a bottle that is 2 in by 3 in. My problem is I have to go through a mail order company so I do not know if they have smaller bottles or not. The bottles I get are white and non transparent.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

Ah, yes. Mail order makes it difficult.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Just get a pillminder that allows you to keep pills by days, or even if you have a certain schedule, you can keep them that way. Most people that I know, that camp or go hiking, will actually use a vacuum sealer to seal the pills that they have to take for their schedule, and then mark the face of the plastic, if it is morn., lunch, afternoon (PM), or bed), and which day of the week.

If you do it right, you can get quite a few days in a 1 gallon size vacuum bag. You just need to have a knife or scissors if you carry an all-in-one or Swiss-Army knife, to open that pouch. The pouch you can toss in the fire at night.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Once again, it's called a blister pack. You can get them from a pharmacy. Plus, the meds are labeled for the likes of LEO's and the TSA.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

Once again, it's called a blister pack. You can get them from a pharmacy. Plus, the meds are labeled for the likes of LEO's and the TSA.

Not every pharmacy is going to create a blister pack for someone. As for Leo's and TSA, they have better things to do, than inquire why someone is carrying their med's during a hiking trip.

Also a Leo unless they have a premonition that you are or have done something wrong, or in the case of the Boston Marathon, where they would have possibly started to check everyone with backpacks, there would not be a reason to detain a person going on a camping trip, and start going through their possessions without consent, or warrant.

There are hundreds of people that package their pills in blister packs or dayminders, with no paperwork during trips, and not one has been stopped and detained, because some idiot in a uniform, thinks the person is peddling Januvia, Metformin/glipizide, glimepiride, nitro or hypertension med's. Along with the fact that the OP would not have such a large quantity to warrant that they are peddling.

If the OP uses a national chain like Wal-Mart/Sams Club, CVS, Walgreen's, they would be able to go in to refill the script, and also their doctor can authorize with the insurance company if needed, for a 14 day emergency supply, if they lose the stock they have in their possession during the trip.

I flew out of a airport with two brand of narcotics, a supply of cholesterol med, acid reducer, in a dayminder, with at least two weeks supply in my carryon, and not once was I ever detained as a suspect of peddling meds, due to no paperwork stating what they were, or that I was prescribed the med's.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

1 edit

Juggernaut

Premium Member

While you seem to take umbrage with what I said, and also think I'm denigrating you in some manner, It's quite untrue.

You mentioned vacuum packed meds, baggies etc., and I reiterated blister packs. If the OP happens to be crossing a border with non-labeled meds, they will be confiscated.

Plus, it was a suggestion for the OP, not you.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 edit

old_tech

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

While you seem to take umbrage with what I said, and also think I'm denigrating you in some manner, It's quite untrue.

You mentioned vacuum packed meds, baggies etc., and I reiterated blister packs. If the OP happens to be crossing a border with non-labeled meds, they will be confiscated.

Plus, it was a suggestion for the OP, not you.

Even if they crossed the border in the North American continent from the U.S. to Canada, which I see no mention of, and do not see where in the world you got that inclination that they are going on some world travel, or into Mexico or Canada.
Expand your moderator at work

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger

Re: pill bottles

Guys, he says he uses mail order, so it's doubtful he could get them packaged differently. Also, if it's required by law that he has to have the meds in the original prescription bottles, a daily pill minder won't work either.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
I not to try any thing like that. What ever I do the pills bottle will have to be labeled correctly. I am not going to take the chance that they will not care or will not look. I'll go by the law and says to do. Like La Luna stated I am not dealing with local drugs store. I called and What they are sending me is the smallest that they have. Even if they sent me printed lables they would be to big for the bottles.
I have decided to use the bottles that sent me I have surplus bottles to keep the what I do not need at home.
I am not crossing any borders I am just going from Washington state to Mich

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Guys, he says he uses mail order, so it's doubtful he could get them packaged differently. Also, if it's required by law that he has to have the meds in the original prescription bottles, a daily pill minder won't work either.

There is no written law, that states that you have to keep the meds in the original containers, whether traveling or at home. If you are taking narcotics, yes it is wise to carry a note from your doctor, if traveling out of the country.

But again, not a written law, until those in D.C. decide to infringe into our rights even more, when it comes to prescription meds.
old_tech

old_tech to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Then you will be okay to keep them in a pill minder, or if wanting more room, create blister packs to keep them in. Doubt you are going to come across any Stazi during your travels across the country, if going by car.

Even by plane, the TSA could care less, unless something raises their suspicion, then they may ask you further questions, but most will recognize they are prescription meds. If they want to take it further, they will ask if you have a letter from your doctor stating you are on such and such meds, and that is it. They though are not going to turn into WW2 SS and start terrorizing you while trying to get through the security line.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

The airline recommendations I linked to above are just that, recommendations. If the OP does not want any unnecessary delays the best thing to do is follow the recommendations. I agree that the OP can carry his scripts in any fashion without breaking the law. Ultimately the airline decides who boards their airplane based on their own policies and procedures, not based just upon the law. Why would the OP want to chance an unnecessary delay for him or other passengers?

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Again, there has been nothing sated by the OP that they plan on flying on this trip, so it is irrelevent.

As for the airlines, yes each have their own set of rules, bu the Fed's CFR trumps those rules. The airlines cannot deny a person boarding with a medical device or medicines, just because they do not have a note.

If the person is on O2 or uses a regenerator, you do have to let the airline know in afvance, so that the plane you will be boarding, will have a O2 tank to use during your trip, and that is pretty much it.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by old_tech:

Again, there has been nothing sated by the OP that they plan on flying on this trip, so it is irrelevent.

As for the airlines, yes each have their own set of rules, bu the Fed's CFR trumps those rules. The airlines cannot deny a person boarding with a medical device or medicines, just because they do not have a note.

If the person is on O2 or uses a regenerator, you do have to let the airline know in afvance, so that the plane you will be boarding, will have a O2 tank to use during your trip, and that is pretty much it.

LOL. Read post #3. The OP is flying.

The OP may not be denied boarding but the OP may be delayed unnecessarily. Why would the OP want to be delayed when following the guidelines is a no brainer?

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

I have flown numerous times with prescription meds, with no paperwork, the pills in a pill minder, and not once have I been questioned about them, when they are in my carryon, or delayed boarding because I am carrying a 30 day supply of meds, which also some of those have been narcotic meds, prescribed by my doctor.

Some are just looking at this in a non-obvious or non-commonsense aspect, that they are taking more into it, than they really need to be.

The OP is not going to be harassed, due to having in their possession hypertension or diabetes meds, in either blister packs, or a pill minder. The only time that they could consider holding you up, is say that you have 2 gallon bags filled to the top with the pills, then yes you could be detained and questioned why you have such a large quantity.

Hundreds if not thousands of people fly all of the time with prescription meds in their carry-on or check-in baggage, in 30 to 60 day quantities, in pill minders or out of the bottle that the pharmacy gave them, and they have never once been held up or questioned for why they have them in their possession.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

The airline recommendations I linked to above are just that, recommendations. If the OP does not want any unnecessary delays the best thing to do is follow the recommendations. I agree that the OP can carry his scripts in any fashion without breaking the law. Ultimately the airline decides who boards their airplane based on their own policies and procedures, not based just upon the law. Why would the OP want to chance an unnecessary delay for him or other passengers?

You are right I do not want to be delayed or quested any questions about my meds so I will be taking them in the original bottles and documentation about the pills since You told me about the rules.
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
I doing what the rules are so I'll know that I will be allowed to take the medicines or miss my flight and costing me $500.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

You are not going to be delayed as long as you have followed the rules on packaging for personal care items and medical items as listed on the tsa website.

If you place them in a pillminder like I stated before, all you need is a letter listing prescriptions and signed by them, that is pretty much it.

It is not like as I stated hundreds if not thousands of travelers fly all the time with their personal medicines and devices on flights.

Only time they would be delayed, is if the tsa are being jerks, or something alarms them to maybe check to see why the machine to check for explosive signatures comes up questioning something.

I really would not stress over it, and again, just follow the info at the tsa site for travelers and you will be okay.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Why do you keep repeating yourself. Are you upset that I will not follow what you do. I am doing what is recommended to do. Case closed the mods can lock this thread.