tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: income vs capital investment

said by tshirt:

said by tmc8080:

however, Verizon could throw out a bargaining chip.. 1 gigabit internet (for $70 or less)-- iron clad to the fios footprint with no loopholes.

Which does exactly what for the majority of the population?

since this is about a nationwide WIRELESS company, something in the LTE range would be more likely. But how about they pay the tax and benefit EVERYONE not just Verizon stockholder and customers.

wow, are you naïve to think that when taxes are paid to the federal & state government that it benefits EVERYONE. tell it to hundreds of thousands of Sandy victims who are getting 40% or less on their NFIP claims and shoddy rapid repairs which in some cases are DANGEROUS & life threatening.

at least with cheap ultra fast as you can get it broadband, that's something everyone here cares about..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It would be that much less we had to borrow to attempt to fix that or to pay for other programs.

I'm not sure what or why people are have problems with the disaster relief, but it still wouldn't justify crediting taxes so that YOU get FIOS.
certainly any benefit for THE entire US forgiving federal taxes should benefit all taxpayers equally.
If Verizon also wants to extend fios on their own dime (well your's, actually ) they can do so at anytime.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to tmc8080

to tmc8080
Hey that's what happens when you have cousin Vinnie's "associates" do the work.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
Why is the government paying for any of it anyway?

Insurance should be and if not insurance the individuals.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

He was referring to the national flood insurance program, the only place to buy FLOOD insurance.
NFIP was never intend to provide 100% coverage but should provide around 80%.
the problems being different methods of calculating the damage and the value The two most common reimbursement methods for flood claims are : Replacement Cost Value (RCV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV). The RCV is the cost to replace damaged property. It is reimbursable to owners of single-family, primary residences insured to within 80% of the buildings replacement cost.

congress has finally changed the rules somewhat and premiums will no longer be flat rate and they are going to be a little more aggressive about buy outs (you get slightly more money if you agree to move rather than rebuild in flood prone areas.)
Due to rising sea levels more property in ever more expensive areas are at risk so hopefully it will continue to evolve in to a more cost/value type program.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

I just get flood insurance through my State Farm agent, are you referring to something else people buy or is that the same thing and I just "think" I am getting it through my agent?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

the same thing you get it through an agent but it is a federally subsidized program, without the subsidy few could afford it . if the people in the areas sandy hit allow their homes to be grossly undervalued (or their county which is supposed to fairly access the fair value for tax and insurance values) it might explain the OP's claim that people where only receiving 40% of their damages.

It was put in place because insurance companies refused to provide universal coverage on their own, EVERYONE pays the same rate no matter what company actually writes the policy.