rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

No more free movie Tuesdays or discounts

Click for full size

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
Yeah. Clearview Cinemas (except the Ziegfeld in NYC which Bow Tie will manage, but not own) is being sold to Bow Tie Cinemas.

From the press release:

Bow Tie Cinemas and Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Bow Tie will acquire substantially all of the Clearview Cinemas theaters from Cablevision. Following the acquisition, Bow Tie Cinemas will become the eighth largest theater circuit in the United States with 388 screens in 63 locations in seven states. The company will have the largest number of theater locations in the New York metropolitan area upon closing the acquisition.
Bow Tie has several locations in Fairfield County, CT. The deal was announced yesterday. I also got that email this morning.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
Good luck to Bow Tie in getting any customers to the Hoboken Clearview with no Cablevision discounts. The theater has no parking lot and faces an ugly elevated highway in a rough commercial area.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to rick0204
This makes me wonder if the sale is all part of Cablevision's plan to shed all but its cable assets to make a sale to Time Warner more palatable. At the very least it might be a way for Cablevision to get a much needed cash infusion due to declining revenue from cord cutters as well as FiOS competition which has been mentioned as driver of the TW acquisition rumors.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

2 edits
reply to rick0204
Personally I think most people use Optimum Rewards for the movie discounts/free Tuesdays and not for anything else it offers. This was a perk of having the Triple Play that's going away and such one less reason to have it. They'll probably lose a segment of those Triple Play bundlers as a result...either people dropping Optimum Voice or if the free movie Tuesday/discounts kept them from switching to Fios. Cablevision might lose alot more than it gains from doing this in the long run.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to kickass69
Precisely what I was referring to.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Personally I think most people use Optimum Rewards for the movie discounts/free Tuesdays and not for anything else it offers...Cablevision might lose alot more than it gains from doing this in the long run.

It all depends on what they are planning on replacing this offer with. As stated in the notice, they plan new movie deals.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to rick0204
Maybe whatever new they come up with will be relevant to subscribers in Dutchess. Heaven knows the Clearview deal certainly wasn't.

BTW, where did you see this? I didn't find it on the Opt home page. Can't imagine where else it would have been hiding.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

I got an email this morning. Deal was announced last night.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

1 edit
I was just checking my Opt email now. Didn't get it. Only Enter to win a trip to the Grand Canyon, last night.

Also went to Optimum Rewards site. I don't see anything about this there, either.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

anoooon

@optonline.net
reply to rick0204
The two Clearview Cinemas in my area (Bernardsville and Chester, NJ) are really, really crappy. I refuse to go to them.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to momcat1
said by momcat1:

Maybe whatever new they come up with will be relevant to subscribers in Dutchess. Heaven knows the Clearview deal certainly wasn't.

BTW, where did you see this? I didn't find it on the Opt home page. Can't imagine where else it would have been hiding.

Only one in Suffolk, and it was tucked away in Babylon which is far SW. I'd never drive 25 miles to go see a movie that I can see 5 minutes from my house.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I haven't gone to a theater in over a decade!
The reward deal sounded good as a perk but I never acted on it plus no one I knew evee wanted it for a Tuesday night.
I think a lot of people are over reacting to the loss.
Would love to see real numbers on how many used it on a regular basis.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

There were no Clearview's here in CT so I never used it. Plus I too haven't been to a movie in a very long time. I would assume there is a small group that used it on a regular basis that will be upset by it and might change providers, but I doubt it is a significant number.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
I used the benefit in 2 Clearviews. The one on W. 23rd St. in Manhattan was always sold out after 4 PM. I had to make 2 trips - the first during my lunch to get the tickets and the second to watch the movie in the evening. This theater was filled to capacity each Tuesday, so much so that the free movies were not offered during Spring Break and around the holidays. I think I've seen maybe 5 free movies here plus Avatar with the 3D surcharge.

The second Clearview that I go to is in Hoboken. This theater has plenty of empty seats because there is no parking lot and very limited street parking. I usually go on a Tuesday in the late afternoon. I've seen maybe 3 free movies here. There is no digital auditorium.

I plan on going one last time in the next few weeks. I do hope some movie deal is offered in it's place.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
I can't say any of the perks have been useful for us, other than the OV discount. Family activities could be useful, if the kiddies ever visited us, but we always visit them, not in the NE. It would nice to have relevant perks.

Mxx

@mycingular.net
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by kickass69:

Personally I think most people use Optimum Rewards for the movie discounts/free Tuesdays and not for anything else it offers...Cablevision might lose alot more than it gains from doing this in the long run.

It all depends on what they are planning on replacing this offer with. As stated in the notice, they plan new movie deals.

yes, but you can be sure it'll be a worse deal. When was the last time a company took away a perk to give you back something better?

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to rick0204
They should offer one free OnDemand movie per month

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
One or two at least. The 2 movie tickets were worth around $20.00 or more.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to rick0204
This could also be to make it easier for the dolans to make the company private.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Or simply,

They are losing money with Clearview Cinemas

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to rick0204
I used the Clearview benefit quite a bit. I'll miss it.

moviegoer013

@optonline.net
reply to rick0204
WEL my family and I are active memberts ofr cablevision/optimum/free movies tuesdayds and it reall REALL IS HEARTBREAKING news to hear they are not going to have the free movies tuesdays.. I been to at least 4 clearviews cinemas I used my cablevision/optimum benfits at, parsippanny 12, mansfield 14 Succasunna cinema 10 and the one in butler/kinnelon. Im very surprised considering I even if I went alone that I took advantage while I still had it, but this is really bad/stupid, and IDK if anyone agrees?? wo now what? I gotta change cable companies??

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by moviegoer013 :

WEL my family and I are active memberts ofr cablevision/optimum/free movies tuesdayds and it reall REALL IS HEARTBREAKING news to hear they are not going to have the free movies tuesdays.. I been to at least 4 clearviews cinemas I used my cablevision/optimum benfits at, parsippanny 12, mansfield 14 Succasunna cinema 10 and the one in butler/kinnelon. Im very surprised considering I even if I went alone that I took advantage while I still had it, but this is really bad/stupid, and IDK if anyone agrees?? wo now what? I gotta change cable companies??

Change to another cable company that offers free movie night?
People tend to threaten to leave as a knee jerk reactions, doubtful any will over this alone!

SirQAM

@verizon.net
said by dm145:

said by moviegoer013 :

Change to another cable company that offers free movie night?
People tend to threaten to leave as a knee jerk reactions, doubtful any will over this alone!

Would that be considered shouting "Fire!" in a crowded Clearview theater on Tuesday?

Probably subscribers won't leave over this lone issue. But add this to the $2.95 sports surcharge, the requirement to rent a converter box for broadcast basic (this will be coming very soon per recent fcc regulatory change), and the elimination of grandfathered service packages, and more than a few subs who aren't sports fanatics might consider bolting for the nearest exit.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

Bolting the exit for what? FiOS? Satellite?
Do they offer movie discounts or unencrypted/analog channels?
Most people don't have a realistic alternative.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by limegrass69:

Bolting the exit for what? FiOS? Satellite?
Do they offer movie discounts or unencrypted/analog channels?
Most people don't have a realistic alternative.

Bingo
All other providers are the same, they want to make a profit

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
reply to rick0204
The Optimum Rewards site says you get free movies on demand on channel 908. I've never checked that out. Has anyone?