pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to biochemistry

Premium Member

to biochemistry

Re: Benefits of Wired Network

I went a bit nuts when remodeling my home, 28 cat 6 drops per room, plus 8 RG 6 drops. Each bedroom has 4 IT outlets, each with 7 Cat 6 and 2 RG6 all to Keystone jacks.

I have absolutely not a single regret, other than, the almost 200 cables running to my 12U rack are a bit massive.

I have 3 PoE wireless adapters running in the home as well. Mostly for tablets, but also for a couple of Wii's.

Cost high, value ... also high. Very fast Internet, everywhere.

If I were to start again, I'd probably have additional drops in other rooms. New fridge, new washer / dryer, new electric water heater, all Internet enabled.

Restarting, I'd use Cat6A instead of Cat6.

You likely won't regret a single run to any room, provided it returns to a central location for a switch.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by pandora:

I went a bit nuts

Just a "bit"?!?

New fridge, new washer / dryer, new electric water heater, all Internet enabled.

More things that need to be protected from hacking and viruses....

You likely won't regret a single run to any room, provided it returns to a central location for a switch.

Methinks most people should be well served by 1 droop/room, and up to 2 for media rooms.

I had friend who had wired internet in some part of the house (front) and wireless for the rest. Whenever the phone (also 2.4 GHz) was in use, the wireless was not usable at all.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

I had friend who had wired internet in some part of the house (front) and wireless for the rest. Whenever the phone (also 2.4 GHz) was in use, the wireless was not usable at all.

My wireless is right next to my computer and I talk and use wifi all the time using a 2.4 GHz phone. Absolutely never had any problem at all. BTW my microwave doesn't effect it either. Old wives tales die hard apparently.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

I went a bit nuts when remodeling my home, 28 cat 6 drops per room, plus 8 RG 6 drops. Each bedroom has 4 IT outlets, each with 7 Cat 6 and 2 RG6 all to Keystone jacks.

I have absolutely not a single regret, other than, the almost 200 cables running to my 12U rack are a bit massive.

you went ballistic I would say...

»My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

everything is done way too much...

»The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

his kids are into IT...playing xbox and have smartphones...see how he said IT outlets...??

I wonder if you've utilized even half the number of drops per room by now or 5-10 years from now...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by aurgathor:

My wireless is right next to my computer and I talk and use wifi all the time using a 2.4 GHz phone. Absolutely never had any problem at all. BTW my microwave doesn't effect it either. Old wives tales die hard apparently.

That was actual experience.

I would've pulled in some cable, but there were no easy way to do it, and he owed me too much for other stuff.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by aurgathor:

That was actual experience.

I would've pulled in some cable, but there were no easy way to do it, and he owed me too much for other stuff.

My experience is also actual.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Chances are good that you had a different phone, different wireless router, and possibly different internet setup (it was Comcast with voice)