uniqs
OOMJR
join:2011-02-09
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

OOMJR

centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

During peak hours 5pm-12:30am.

I'm pinging yahoo at an average of 500ms. Google @ 150ms. Bandwidth ranges from .7 to 10 down and .3 to .76 up.

I usually will ping 30-40 to chicago,google, yahoo with 10 down and .78 up.

I just started having problems during peak times on 4/28/2013. Even during non peak hours everything is at least 10% higher on pings and 10% lower on bandwidth.

They said in order to consider this a problem you have to average 300ms on the ping... which 100ms ping isn't acceptable to me.

If for whatever reason they won't fix this issue within a 24-48 hour window as I was told on the phone after arguing to get the line looked at,

I'll file my seconda(2nd) FCC complaint against Centurylink.

I've documented everything since I started having poor service and I won't hesitate to file after the 48hr window.
OOMJR

OOMJR

Re: Avilla, IN Service down him again. 2nd time

All my test results can be accessed here at »/testh ··· 76/cba7a

Peak hours are 5pm to 12:30am.

This is during NON peak hours (morning of 4/30/13)
NON PEAK HOURS TEST RESULTS

I few tests from last night, during peak hours (4/29/13)

Lots of packet loss and I get a "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping

During Peak Hours

During Peak Hours

During Peak Hours

During Peak Hours

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by OOMJR:

Lots of packet loss and I get a "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping ...

This part is reasonably easy; configure your router to respond to ICMP ping.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

said by NormanS:

said by OOMJR:

Lots of packet loss and I get a "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping ...

This part is reasonably easy; configure your router to respond to ICMP ping.

On the surface that would appear to be the issue. However, looking at the pings, his hop is responding to pings. More so on the West Coast run.

There is something odd going on with the the LQT on the Central run.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

It's weird that on some of the tests the hops aren't even getting to the central office or even my modem in that regard.

208-110-248-222.centurylink.net This hop there's packet loss on each run along with the Colorado IP of 67.14.38.130 . At times even this hop isn't shown.

I ran a line test to the 208-110-248-222 and this is the result

Result for 208-110-248-222

Next hop after that 67.237.46.166

Result for 67.237.46.166

I've line tested to the 208-110-248-222.centurylink.net and it seems to work fine. So I did the next hop after that and that seems to be where the issue is...

67-237-46-166 seems to be the Central office I hook to... Even when the "target IP does not respond to ICMP ping" error happens I can ping in command prompt 67-237-46-166 and get around 8-9 ms but sometimes with packet loss.

But what do I know, guess I'll wait and see what they have to say.

I called today and the lady said that it would probably be 24 hrs before I would see any changes. She said to power cycle, not reset, the modem at 8pm May 1st(24hrs from the call I made) to see if the issue has been resolved. She said not to reset the modem since this will reset my IP... though I thought power cycling reset your WAN IP also? Should be getting a call when they do have it fixed but as for now she said it's been escalated and they are looking into it...

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

None of those LQTs show any real packet loss. There is no packet loss on the next hop (you). So all the packets are being delivered.

What is happening is that certain routers are not responding to ICMP (%%%) at the hop; or are partially responding.

If there were real packet loss at the hop, it will carry down to the next hop (you).

I pinged and ran a tracert to both those IPs and all were perfect.

That being said, I would not trust the LQT and the results that it is reporting until somebody can fully explain what is going on.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Yeah I just ran some tests also on those IPs now. Everything is checking out ok. Not sure how it will be tonight but patience is a virtue.

I'll just wait for a phone call from the tech.

Thanks for explaining that Shark.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

This reminds me of another gent with an issue like yours. The connection looked OK on paper, but the problems persisted.

As it turned out, it was what is now called "bandwidth exhaust" or "router exhaust" - oversold DSLAM.

I do not remember what the outcome was as he dropped offline without any details as to if the issue was fixed or not.

We used a packet sniffer (Wireshark) to trace the packets to/from the DSLAM to see what was going on.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Yeah I could install wire shark and look keep running tests and currently pinging Google to see for loss or high latency

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to OOMJR

to OOMJR

Re: Avilla, IN Service quality bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

Email talktous support, be polite with them, give them the facts.

They can tell you what the issue is, if it is oversold/DSLAM exhaustion, they will tell you.

They can not fix this issue, they can just report it up their support system.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

I just got done talking to Ron @ 1.800.788.3600

It's been 24hrs so far and no one has taken any notes so far of any step forward with the process. He was thinking it's a bad card or exhausted card but of course he can't do anything about it.

Toby, I'll email talktous support in the mean time and maybe a tech will call me in the mean time tomorrow hopefully telling me they fixed the issue.

I haven't hard reset the modem, only power cycled it since Sunday when I started to have the issues. That was Sunday night when I began to feel the effect of the slow bandwidth and ping. Rick @ 1.800.788.3600 said not to reset or power cycle the modem so they could test it... Of course when they ping and check my modem remotely everything checks ok but on my end it's 500+ ping to www.yahoo.com, 200+ to www.google.com and I get from .7 down to 10 down(at the end of a test the speed slowly drops and it takes an extra 10 seconds to end). The ping from 5:30pm to 12:30am is consistent(high 200-500 ping) but the bandwidth goes up and down alot on tests. I can't even stream a 360p youtube video without it buffering every 10 seconds..... I usually can watch 1080p videos without an issue.

Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow, in the mean time I'll write up a email for "talk to us"

Thanks for the info guys
OOMJR

OOMJR

Last night I pinged my WAN IP, next hop(Central Office)

I ended up with 100ms pings and out of 4 pings 1 was lost...

Then during the day that latency goes down a bit.

I'm assuming a bad card like it usually is. If so, this will be my 3rd card so far.
OOMJR

OOMJR

After calling the 24/7 number again, for the 4th time, the lady talked to a engineer and agreed with me that someone should come out and take a look since on there end the CO DSLAM wasn't showing more than 20% of bandwidth being used during peak hours... which I should have 100% full speed, but rather mine goes does the hole still.

I got a tech coming out tomorrow to take a look at the situation. Not sure what his schedule will be but when he calls I'm going to tell him he won't start see an issue until about 6-8pm. Feel bad for the dude that has to stay out late but... Part of the job.

Fingers crossed till tomorrow, but another night of useless internet. >,
OOMJR

OOMJR

Well they just did a WAN IP and Gateway IP change. Called them and they said they would be upgrading equipment from 12am to 5am. So far I'm back to normal. 16ms ping to chicago with 10 down and .79 up. Tech suppose to come out tomorrow still but might not need him to now. Seems like they actually fixed the problem...

Results
Speedtest.net

LQT

Pingtest.net
OOMJR

OOMJR to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark

Re: Avilla, IN Service down him again. 2nd time

After they did a reset last night of the Central Office and I was assigned a new IP and things seem to be back to normal, somewhat. I can ping my first hop (DSLAM) via command prompt and get 8ms, which is my prime ping to the DSLAM(no issues there)... but why is the DSL reports test not showing this anymore?

Could not estimate first hop speed???

Was yesterday while I was having issues, but after they did whatever to the system last night it's not letting it ping the 1st hop?

Any ideas? New equipment maybe, since they said they were doing equipment upgrades.

Meeting the tech later this afternoon after work at around 5:00-5:30pm for him to check things out... thing is last night the 100 ms 1st DSLAM hop didn't start showing up until 8:30pm and lasted to about 11pm then they started to shut down the internet and "do repairs /equipment upgrades" from 12am to 5am.
OOMJR

OOMJR

Well the tech didn't want to meet tonight since he thought the down time last night might of been them fixing something... well that's a negative. I've reset the modem and reconfigured it now and still get the same lousy results...

Guess I'll call the tech and maybe he can move me to a different DSLAM or even a new slot... who knows. Useless internet for the 5th night in a row.
OOMJR

OOMJR

Re: Avilla, IN Service quality bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

»/pingt ··· /3030364
OOMJR

OOMJR

Tech found the issue between the gig switch and the unit that handles the DSLAM. It's at 98% capacity... He's switching me over to a remote card and slot and it should fix everything up by this evening. They are looking to upgrade the Central office around the fall time, so if more subscribers are hooked up.. I could run into this issue again in the future..

The Central Office has fiber running to the next hop and that only hits 20% capacity at peak times. So the Central Office needs some work.

I'll report back with the results later tonight and see what we find after they move me around in the Central Office.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

Speaking of Capacity, Should i file a complaint with the FCC that CenturyLink isnt doing what the FCC told them to about upgrading Qwests network?

They have improved speeds in CenturyLink controlled areas near my house, but i am still stuck on a Qwest Dslam that has 8 source T1 (12mbit total source capacity) and ~160 users connected to it. (all at "1.5"mbit) Need i say more?
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

FCC complaints are good for complaining about paying for a service you aren't receiving($ related). As for the actual service you should go through your attorney general of your state. I would only do these after you have hard evidence showing that you've tried working with them to fix the issue but it isn't getting resolved.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney to OOMJR

to OOMJR
said by OOMJR:

During peak hours 5pm-12:30am.

I'm pinging yahoo at an average of 500ms. Google @ 150ms. Bandwidth ranges from .7 to 10 down and .3 to .76 up.

I usually will ping 30-40 to chicago,google, yahoo with 10 down and .78 up.

I just started having problems during peak times on 4/28/2013. Even during non peak hours everything is at least 10% higher on pings and 10% lower on bandwidth.

They said in order to consider this a problem you have to average 300ms on the ping... which 100ms ping isn't acceptable to me.

If for whatever reason they won't fix this issue within a 24-48 hour window as I was told on the phone after arguing to get the line looked at,

I'll file my seconda(2nd) FCC complaint against Centurylink.

I've documented everything since I started having poor service and I won't hesitate to file after the 48hr window.

So did you do as planned and file the FCC complaint?
GetMoney

GetMoney to OOMJR

to OOMJR
said by OOMJR:

I just got done talking to Ron @ 1.800.788.3600

It's been 24hrs so far and no one has taken any notes so far of any step forward with the process. He was thinking it's a bad card or exhausted card but of course he can't do anything about it.

Toby, I'll email talktous support in the mean time and maybe a tech will call me in the mean time tomorrow hopefully telling me they fixed the issue.

I haven't hard reset the modem, only power cycled it since Sunday when I started to have the issues. That was Sunday night when I began to feel the effect of the slow bandwidth and ping. Rick @ 1.800.788.3600 said not to reset or power cycle the modem so they could test it... Of course when they ping and check my modem remotely everything checks ok but on my end it's 500+ ping to www.yahoo.com, 200+ to www.google.com and I get from .7 down to 10 down(at the end of a test the speed slowly drops and it takes an extra 10 seconds to end). The ping from 5:30pm to 12:30am is consistent(high 200-500 ping) but the bandwidth goes up and down alot on tests. I can't even stream a 360p youtube video without it buffering every 10 seconds..... I usually can watch 1080p videos without an issue.

Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow, in the mean time I'll write up a email for "talk to us"

Thanks for the info guys

did you get a reply back from these folks?
GetMoney

GetMoney to OOMJR

to OOMJR
said by OOMJR:

FCC complaints are good for complaining about paying for a service you aren't receiving($ related). As for the actual service you should go through your attorney general of your state. I would only do these after you have hard evidence showing that you've tried working with them to fix the issue but it isn't getting resolved.

I personally think the FCC, PUC, BBB, etc are all jokes when it comes to complaints. They all are in some shape or form tied financially to all of these utilities/isps/clecs etc. Generally a large company with money will get what it wants. If you really want to ruffle a companies feathers then contact their corporate headquarters. Any public company has to provide a public annual report to their shareholders. In that it lists the address and telephone number for the HQ. It also shows a list of the major executives in the company. I had to go that route for a family member a few years back. Had good success. Good luck.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

They are actually looking into the issue now. The "outage team" is in contact with the local techs here where I live. 24/7 line said it will take 2-3 days for the communication to start and from there they will figure out if there is an issue and if so, post it in my area so when people call in they know there is a problem and it's getting worked on(sorry for the run on sentence, I'm exhausted).

I also know the local tech, his manager and supervisor are in contact with a couple engineers(one at the 24/7 line) via email.

Right now I'm just waiting for a response back from someone, hopefully a phone call with a set date of fix or something...

At least it's in motion and when it's all fixed, I'll contact them aand look for a credit to my account for the down time. If I don't get some sort of credit, that's when I jump in and start getting mad(filing complaints)
OOMJR

OOMJR

This is how I feel right now lol... Funny video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Mx7k7mso
OOMJR

OOMJR

So this is when the internet does work ok....

During the day

Now at night

During the night

Speedtest during the night

So far they're saying there isn't an issue at the CO... but they found a problem from a city to city connection... 2 of the 4 lines are unbalanced... Not sure if this would effect my internet in the way it's acting at night but maybe. I still think there is something wrong at the CO, on top of what they found remotely.

Another long waiting process. Stuff is getting old. I get better pings and bandwidth with my 4GLTE at night. My mind is going back and forth if I would just want to use my phone for the internet. I have unlimited data anyways..
OOMJR

OOMJR

Looks like a bandwidth issue of larger scale down the pipe outside the CO. 2 weeks minimum for fix. Nothing officially posted, and won't be surprised if kept quiet.
metsada1337
join:2013-05-18
Avilla, IN

metsada1337 to OOMJR

to OOMJR
yeah I live just outside of Avilla and my connection has always been dogshit...even after "upgrading" to a higher tier. I average 150+ pings and lag spike every few minutes for a solid 4-5 seconds. I complained a year ago to Joey and it was magically fixed for a few months, but it is now back to the same old crap.

Genevan
@centurytel.net

Genevan to OOMJR

Anon

to OOMJR
Same problem 700 miles away. 6 or 7 weeks now with all the symptoms of bandwidth exhaustion, but they say there's not enough customers to cause that. Finally last week decided the problem was at the office that feeds our area or the lines between it and our local co, "fixed" issues with them twice, but zero improvement.
OOMJR
Fort Wayne, IN

OOMJR

Call them and say something about it. The more people that call in the faster the escalation. It takes some work and talk with them to get the issue pushed to the engineers. Luckily I had a really good field tech that kept on the issue and they looked into it and found the issue finally. Still waiting for an email back on a date of fix...