how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

samkaye

@bhn.net

Cookies not working

Using Firefox 20.01 Win7
Since this A.M., I cannot log on to this or other sites because it is says that cookies are blocked. This goes for other sites as well.
Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled. Even installed Chrome. Tried almost everything. Not working even in safe mode. Yes, I googled problem and tried all. Ran Malwarebytes and MSE.
HELP!! Please.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
Do you have another piece of software installed that may be blocking cookies?

samkaye

@bhn.net

1 recommendation

Haven't changed a thing. Used Firefox, Chrome and IE.
Have cookies enabled in FF. Believe me, I have tried everything.
Been on DSLreports for about 10 years. First time i have ever had this problem.Ran almost all virus and malware programs and nothing came up./ Clean all the way.
Now I need all the help I can get.
Thanks for replying.
Sam

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
reply to samkaye
Maybe it helps to reinstall your browser. Hm...

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to samkaye
How about a System Restore to a restore point prior to this issue?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to samkaye
Create a new profile. It sounds like yours may be corrupted.

Safe mode won't fix a corrupted profile. See if you can set cookies on a new profile.

You said you used IE and Chrome also. You are saying you can't set cookies on IE either? I haven't used Iron in over a year and at that time Iron had cookies that you could control....I think I read current Iron/Chrome has no cookie settings...so you tried it and it also blocked cookies? What about Sea Monkey? Can you set cookies there? Can you set cookies on Opera?

If you can't set cookies on any browser then you need to mosey on over to our Security cleanup forum. But I'm not clear on whether or not you can set cookies on other browsers.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to samkaye
Here is the cookie requirement page for dslreports: »/success2/L2Zv ··· l?skip=1

Cookie tester: »/cookies

Can't image what would be blocking cookies in ALL your browsers?
Though I would expect it to be external to the browser themselves.

KB: »kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies

noomi

join:2001-04-14
Beverly Hills, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

2 recommendations

reply to samkaye
Finally found the problem!!
It was a setting in my modem (Mot.SBg6580). Under firewall, it had "filter cookies" checked. Don't know how this happened. I never changed anything and nobody else has access to my computer.
Thanks to all who tried to help.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I'm so glad you figured it out and let us know.

I had that modem briefly. I didn't like it at all. I exchanged it for the Surfboard 6141 that I am happy with.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
reply to samkaye
Welcome back, noomi See Profile.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
reply to noomi
said by noomi:

Finally found the problem!!
It was a setting in my modem (Mot.SBg6580). Under firewall, it had "filter cookies" checked. Don't know how this happened. I never changed anything and nobody else has access to my computer.
Thanks to all who tried to help.

Your cable modem is accessed from your cable provider.
If they pushed an update to the modem, then the setting may have been enabled after the push.
Always keep an eye on your modem, as you can tell when it has been rebooted from a push update.

noomi

Beverly Hills, FL
In the logs, it says that the updates failed 3 different times.
"SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present".
Should I care??

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
No. That is an issue for the cable company.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:

Your cable modem is accessed from your cable provider.
If they pushed an update to the modem, then the setting may have been enabled after the push.
Always keep an eye on your modem, as you can tell when it has been rebooted from a push update.

Yeah, and that cannot happen if you have a MODEM. The OP has one of those god-awful pieces of junk that also has a firewall and parental controls and can be a wireless router (but all that costs $10 a month more) and enables TWC to have too much control over the user's firewall, etc. The OP should return that invasive piece of junk and get the Surfboard 6141 instead. It is a MODEM and nothing else and doesn't require logging into it in order to check the modem stats or logs. The OP should have a firewall separate from the modem. If the 6141's firmware is updated, that would never interfere with the OP's firewall settings.

The OP should be concerned if the modem failed a firmware push even once much less three times. The next push could brick it and the OP should call tier 3 about it. Plus, the OP should complain loudly to TWC regarding the silent, sneaky, without the OP's express permission, resetting of his/her firewall settings. Of COURSE the OP should be concerned about all of this!
--

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
The OP has not indicated whether it is his personal modem to avoid the "Modem Fee" or if it is in fact TWC equipment.

Even though the push update failed, he still has access to the internet. And, and only then, when TWC bricks the modem should he be concerned, especially if it does belong to TWC.

As for calling Tier 3, if the cable modem is his that he bought to escape the "Modem Fee", he could call, but I doubt it go anywhere. But anything could be worth a shot.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The OP should be concerned if the modem failed a firmware push even once much less three times. The next push could brick it and the OP should call tier 3 about it. Plus, the OP should complain loudly to TWC regarding the silent, sneaky, without the OP's express permission, resetting of his/her firewall settings. Of COURSE the OP should be concerned about all of this!

Missing software during a firmware download is not going to brick the modem. Realize the modem has to download the firmware, check it, and reboot. If it never is successfully able to download, it's not going to do the remaining steps.

Nothing to call tier 3 about.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

noomi

Beverly Hills, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
I rent the modem. Don't really care about firmware update as I haven't had any problems before.
How some can say that this model modem is apiece of junk is beyond me.
How the filter cookies was checked, is also beyond me.
I hope if someone else happens to have this problem, this thread will be of help.
Thanks again.
And no, I never use wireless.