uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to THZNDUP

Re: [Speed] Is Comcast 80 cents per Mbs?

said by THZNDUP:

Looks close. Check your bill and do the math..........

I don't have COMCAST or I would. RCN charges $50 for 50 Mbs ($1 per Mbs), but that includes modem and router and the rate goes up after 12 months. I thought that COMCAST was expensive. I was hoping someone would volunteer their information.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Lets see, my bill, $74.95 for HSI.

My speed, 50Mbps...

Nope, looks like Comcast is more expensive vs. just 80 cents lol

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Pacomartin
It varies by area and promotion/etc. So you'd be comparing apples and oranges unless comparing the exact location/address in question.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to Pacomartin
It depends on what criteria and methodology is/was used for that graphic.

Here are some of the available rates. No perks, specials, modem rent, bundles, etc. unless noted. It's just the current, new customer, standalone web price for my area.

Performance Starter (6/1) is $49.95/mo.

Performance (25/5) w/1yr contract is $29.95/mo for 1-6 then 44.95/mo for 7-12

Blast (50/10) is $74.95/mo.

Extreme (105/20) runs $114.95/mo
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6

1 edit
Well, we pay $0.90 per Mbps(22 Mbps) and $0.80 for download if we get bumped up to 25 Mbps
$19.99

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to THZNDUP
said by THZNDUP:

Performance (25/5) w/1yr contract is
$29.95/mo for 1-6 then 44.95/mo for 7-12

The writers did not specify what methodology they used which is really why I asked the question. I did not think COMCAST was the price leader. Presumably you get the lowest $$ per Mbs if you buy the fastest service. But even the Extreme is $1.095 in your example.

What is the advantage of buying the "Perfromance Starter" if you get more speed for less money for "Performance"?

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard

1 edit
said by Pacomartin:

said by THZNDUP:

Performance (25/5) w/1yr contract is
$29.95/mo for 1-6 then 44.95/mo for 7-12

The writers did not specify what methodology they used which is really why I asked the question. I did not think COMCAST was the price leader. Presumably you get the lowest $$ per Mbs if you buy the fastest service. But even the Extreme is $1.095 in your example.

What is the advantage of buying the "Perfromance Starter" if you get more speed for less money for "Performance"?

Did you include the upload bandwidth in your calcs?

I looked at both sites cited by the chart and couldn't find out any rhyme or reason to the numbers used in the chart either. I just wrote it off as a money conversion (pounds/dollars), methodology issue, shill for Google Fiber, they used logarithms or ?. [shrug]

From the fine print for the performance deal:

After 12 months, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular charges apply. Comcast’s current monthly service charge for Performance ranges from $42.95 to $64.95, and may vary depending on your area and other Comcast services subscribed to, if any.

Back when I had one account with just Performance HSI(15/2) (12/2) I was paying $39.99/mo x6 then $62.95 x6 for an avg. yearly rate of $51.47/mo. The 6/1 'starter' was the same price it is now, $49.95. Such a deal.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 recommendation

said by THZNDUP:

I looked at both sites cited by the chart and couldn't find out any rhyme or reason to the numbers used in the chart either. I just wrote it off as a money conversion (pounds/dollars), methodology issue, shill for Google Fiber, they used logarithms or ?.

The whole article was totally useless. It was the most longwinded analysis to come to the obvious conclusion that Google Fiber is a lot of bandwidth for very little money, and it is rolling out really really really slow.

A very simple comparison would be to say that if you are chosen to have google fiber in your city you get 1 Gbs for $70/month, but if you are stuck with Comcast you get 50 Mbs for $75/month after the 6 month teaser. And then cite the same information for the other companies.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to THZNDUP
I have Blast! at 55Mb Down and 11Mb Up. So my bill for internet is $70 so 70 divided by 55 is $1.27 per Mb. I'd say that's pretty good. U-Verse in my area is $66 per month for 24Mb down and 3Mb up which translates to $2.75 per Mb. By that price if I was getting 55Mb service from ATT I'd be paying approx $151 a month! Comcast may suck for TV but their internet is amazing! Now if they would just kill the unnecessary caps! How are you guys getting so low a number? You must be factoring in deals?

Edit: Also I calculated by what speeds I actually get 55/11 not what I pay for (50/10). My friend has U-Verse 24 and only gets 18Mb down and 1.5Mb up which would be $3.66 per Mb! ATT sucks for internet!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I still don't get it. Who is actually paying per bit delivered? At the end of the day, all of the ISPs are currently charging a flat, monthly fee.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by NormanS:

I still don't get it. Who is actually paying per bit delivered? At the end of the day, all of the ISPs are currently charging a flat, monthly fee.

It is speed that is in the calculation, not the volume of data.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
said by owlyn:

said by NormanS:

But $/kb delivered isn't a measure of speed.

Consider: $/kwh is about volume; how much electricity is delivered for a given sum of money. $/gal is about volume; how much fluid is delivered for a given sum of money.

Consider: My mother pays $4.07 per kb while I only pay $1.07 per kb. What is the dollar difference per month in our respective bills? $0 difference between what she pays and what I pay.

Internet is charged at $/mo, regardless of whether you download every last bit you can get for your kb/s, or none of it.

$/kb is a meaningless metric when one is paying $/mo.

--
Norman

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to FifthE1ement
Methodology! Why didn't you include your actual upload as well? Is it that un-important you could afford to ignore it? You get a better deal at $1.06.Mbs/mo as well...............

--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by owlyn:

said by NormanS:

But $/kb delivered isn't a measure of speed.

Consider: $/kwh is about volume; how much electricity is delivered for a given sum of money. $/gal is about volume; how much fluid is delivered for a given sum of money.

Consider: My mother pays $4.07 per kb while I only pay $1.07 per kb. What is the dollar difference per month in our respective bills? $0 difference between what she pays and what I pay.

Internet is charged at $/mo, regardless of whether you download every last bit you can get for your kb/s, or none of it.

$/kb is a meaningless metric when one is paying $/mo.

Your subtle hints are going to waste NormanS. It is likely that most readers of this thread did not bother to look at the chart in the article, much less notice the labels used.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by NetFixer:

Your subtle hints are going to waste NormanS. It is likely that most readers of this thread did not bother to look at the chart in the article, much less notice the labels used.

They probably haven't read Darrell Huff.
--
Norman

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to NetFixer
Hummmmm.....

I wonder if the writer did.

Zach Epstein has worked in and around the ICT industry for more than a decade, first in marketing and business development with two private telcos, then as a writer and editor covering business, technology and telecommunications. As a writer, Zach’s work has been quoted by countless top news publications and he was recently named one of the world's top-10 “power mobile influencers” by Forbes. Zach is now Executive Editor at BGR, where he guides the editorial team and contributes reports and analyses with an unbiased viewpoint and a widely respected voice.

Well, there you have it, from one of the world's top ten.

It's pretty obvious from the tone of the article what the writer intended to convey without being pedantic. It is sad his third party chart wasn't scrutinized before being released by 'Broadband Genie'. Here, just rub this magik lamp...........
--

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to THZNDUP
said by THZNDUP:

Methodology! Why didn't you include your actual upload as well? Is it that un-important you could afford to ignore it? You get a better deal at $1.06.Mbs/mo as well...............

Lol, I think upload is actually more important, but most carriers never even list upload speeds! Go to the ATT U-Verse website and find an upload speed anywhere on that site, lol. I think it's so important that every provider should only list speeds by upload rather than download! It doesn't matter if you have 999Mb down if your upload is 128Kbps as the upload will kill your download and you'll be slower than someone with a 10/10 connection. I love my Comcast internet as the 55/11 down/up is amazing! I can still remember when DSL was first installed in my area in 1999 by BellSouth at 1.5Mb down and 256Kbps up, lol! Now I have what is equivalent of a huge corporate network speeds all around my house. Its really amazing! But it spoils you as now when I'm out and on my phone it drives me nuts that it is so slow, lol. I don't know why anyone would have DSL when Cable is available. DSL is like having an old BlackBerry instead of a new Android or iPhone. And it's certainly not because of a lower price as ATT DSL/U-Verse is not much lower than Comcast in terms of price considering they are so much slower.

5th
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by FifthE1ement:

I don't know why anyone would have DSL when Cable is available. DSL is like having an old BlackBerry instead of a new Android or iPhone. And it's certainly not because of a lower price as ATT DSL/U-Verse is not much lower than Comcast in terms of price considering they are so much slower.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get service from Sonic.net, LLC. Probably Comcast DSL ... yes, I mean it. Comcast has a speed tier comparable to the AT&T lower tiers; both in speed, and price. There is cheaper cable out there; but not in the South S.F. Bay Area.
--
Norman

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Internet is charged at $/mo

It is impossible to make a completely fair comparison, since there are so many bundles, teaser rates, and vastly different speeds. But setting some simple ground rules like ignore a 6 month teaser rate, and trying to keep bill for just internet alone at $900 or less per year (without taxes and fees), I get:
30 Mbs @ $50 Charter
50 Mbs @ $50 RCN ($55 in year 2, $60 in year 3)
40 Mbs @ $70 Century Link
50 Mbs @ $75 Comcast
50 Mbs @ $75 Time Warner Cable
1000 Mbs @ $70 Google Fiber
The hypothetical user would presumably purchase his own VOIP phone, and watch Aereo, Netflix Hulu+ for TV.
Outside of the lucky few with access to Google Fiber, RCN seems to offer the best deal.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
I am sorry, but there is no way, on God's green Earth, that I am going to pay at least $50 a month for just Internet.
--
Norman

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by NormanS:

I am sorry, but there is no way, on God's green Earth, that I am going to pay at least $50 a month for just Internet.

I was not looking for the best deal, as that is difficult to calculate and dependent on what an individual wants or needs. I was only trying to level playing field. The original article was quoting a 6 month teaser rate for Comcast, at $84 for 105 Mbs (80 cents per Mbs) that would rise to $115 on month 7 with no guarantee for the next three years. The implication was that Comcast was in a three way tie for the lowest internet rates , which seemed ridiculous.

RCN offers Digital TV (antenna channels) & 50 Mbps High-Speed Internet, router, 1HD setupbox, 1 Standard definition setup box, for $50 for year 1, $58 for year 2, and $66 for year 3. Only someone who detests TV would refuse to pay the few extra dollars overt the "just internet" package.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Pacomartin:

Only someone who detests TV would refuse to pay the few extra dollars overt the "just internet" package.

I have not paid for TV, or satellite. ever. I am not about to start now.
--
Norman

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 edit
said by NormanS:

I have not paid for TV, or satellite. ever. I am not about to start now.

I am puzzled about what you will pay for. You said $50 for "just internet" is crazy, and you won't pay for TV. I assume you are a fan of antennas (or you don't watch TV). My cable company starts internet at $40/month for the first year, so $50 is not much more than minimum. You said you pay $1.07 per kb.

So what do you have? A 9600 kbs modem and a voice line from 30 years ago?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Pacomartin:

I am puzzled about what you will pay for. You said $50 for "just internet" is crazy, and you won't pay for TV. I assume you are a fan of antennas (or you don't watch TV). My cable company starts internet at $40/month for the first year, so $50 is not much more than minimum. You said you pay $1.07 per kb.

So what do you have? A 9600 kbs modem and a voice line from 30 years ago?

Two tin cans and a string!

I don't watch TV all that much. My Internet is just $19.97 per month; for 14.9M/0.75M.
--
Norman

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by NormanS:

Two tin cans and a string!
I don't watch TV all that much. My Internet is just $19.97 per month; for 14.9M/0.75M.

I forget about those grandfathered plans. My brother and his wife got a plan for $30/month for 25M/2M which the cable company guaranteed the price for life. They own a nice TV, but he and his wife watch Netflix, preferring to watch a TV series when they are released after airing. They simply watch the entire season in one weekend (or a week at most). They use cell phones and in an emergency can text from their home computer.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Pacomartin:

I forget about those grandfathered plans. My brother and his wife got a plan for $30/month for 25M/2M which the cable company guaranteed the price for life. They own a nice TV, but he and his wife watch Netflix, preferring to watch a TV series when they are released after airing. They simply watch the entire season in one weekend (or a week at most). They use cell phones and in an emergency can text from their home computer.

It is not a grandfathered plan!

In fact, my ISP recently started wholesaling it out to DSL Extreme.
--
Norman

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by NormanS:

It is not a grandfathered plan!

I stand corrected once again. I see articles that sonic.net is building a 1 Gb network for $70/mo (matching Google Fiber's price and performance).

I would probably be happy with $20/mo 15 Mbs service.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Pacomartin:

Because everybody was talking "Internet only" price, I gave the Internet price. But Fusion requires a landline phone service. Total price for both is $39.95 a month, plus regulatory fees and taxes on the phone service. It is still cheaper than comparable cable bundles. BTW, phone number is not an ILEC number; not from PacBell.
--
Norman

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by NormanS:

said by Pacomartin:

Because everybody was talking "Internet only" price, I gave the Internet price. But Fusion requires a landline phone service. Total price for both is $39.95 a month, plus regulatory fees and taxes on the phone service. It is still cheaper than comparable cable bundles. BTW, phone number is not an ILEC number; not from PacBell.

I understand where you're coming from Norman. I just couldn't do those speeds (14.9M/0.75M). The download isn't too bad but the upload basically ruins the download. I'm spoiled now with the 55M/11M setup I have now with Comcast Blast. I haven't had an upload speed lower than a Mb down since like 2003 when I had DSL at like 3M/768Kbps. The price I pay ($70) isn't expensive for most Americans per Mb but it's still a lot of money either way per month. I don't think I could love without cable today, I'm just so used to it. However I really wish I wasn't. In today's world we don't know how really spoiled we are compared to just $20 years ago. It's a completely different world and God help us if anything like that show Revolution or Jericho ever happens.

5th
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
WRT the upload: If I really needed more, I believe I could push it to a Meg, at the expense of some of the download speed, with Annex M. OTOH, what I have now would cost much more from either AT&T, or Comcast, to replicate. Static IP address, with control of the rDNS, and a DNS zone for my domain. Both AT&T and Comcast only offer similar with a pricier "Business" account.

Plus, as a Sonic.net customer, my presence has influence on whether, or when, they will push their FTTH service into San José, California!
--
Norman