spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

[BC] Telus Hosting - what is this code on our web pages??

What is this code that is being appended to our company's website by Telus Hosting?

<!-- WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition V5.4 START -->
<script type='text/javascript' src='https://count.carrierzone.com/app/count_server/count.js'></script>
<script type='text/javascript'><!--
wm_custnum='003fc33307cf9c4c';
wm_page_name='index.htm';
wm_group_name='/services/webpages/a/u/aurelsystems.com/public';
wm_campaign_key='campaign_id';
wm_track_alt='';
wiredminds.count();
// -->
</script>
<!-- WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition V5.4 END -->

Is it true that Telus Hosting is actually outsourced to some other company (Hostopia)?

notwhorr

@telus.net
Call Telus Hosting. Tell them you do not want the add-on of analytics app. May be for spam control or whatever you see it is for in your website control panel.

Some hosting companies will throw in add-ons for free, so check your package listings to remove extras.

Glen T

BC

1 edit
After half a dozen e-mails back and forth with Telus Hosting support, they have finally issued a ticket to escalate (Tier 1 clearly did not know anything about it). I believe that it is some kind of analytics code that is being added as part of the hosting package (have found other references to this code packaged this way on the web, which can cause problems with some e-commerce PHP).

AFAIK, there are no user-accessible controls for this. Although I did find a new control for "Pixel-Code" which I disabled (it was enabled by default). Boy I wish they wouldn't just add this stuff and enable it without even telling anyone.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by Glen T:

(Tier 1 clearly did not know anything about it)

Why am I not surprised.

said by Glen T:

AFAIK, there are no user-accessible controls for this. Although I did find a new control for "Pixel-Code" which I disabled (it was enabled by default). Boy I wish they wouldn't just add this stuff and enable it without even telling anyone.

Yeah, I would expect a paid web hosting provider to serve ONLY the code which you put in, with nothing added to it, by default. Just like you, I'd be wondering "WTF?!?!?" if I saw some code on my web pages that I didn't put there.

Glen T

BC
One of my concerns is, what are they doing with this information? I strongly suspect that there is some profit-driven motive for allowing some third-party company to track our visitors on our site. It's got to be more than just a service to paying customers. If it is a perk, why aren't they promoting it in their features list -- analytics are not even mentioned:

»www.telushosting.com/pkg_all.php

We are already using Google Analytics. I don't want two sets of tracking code on our pages for many reasons, including performance issues.

The new Telus Hosting control panel is dumbed down and is nowhere near as comprehensive as cpanel.

ISAM7330

@telus.net
@Glen T: I looked at a few pages on your webpage and didn't see the offending code when viewing the page source. Is it on all pages or just some?

As for hosting, you can get cpanel hosting way way cheaper than Telushosting. I wouldn't be surprised if Telus does use an outside hosting company and judging by the server your site is on, it looks like Hostopia is likely what Telus is using.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Yeah, I would expect a paid web hosting provider to serve ONLY the code which you put in, with nothing added to it, by default. Just like you, I'd be wondering "WTF?!?!?" if I saw some code on my web pages that I didn't put there.

Especially with the highway robbery TELUS charges for shared hosting.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Glen T

BC

2 edits
reply to ISAM7330
It seems to show up on some machines and not others. I shows up on two of my machines and two it does not. On the machines that it does show up on, it shows up on all pages and in both FireFox and IE.

Edit: Maybe it only shows up computers using non-Telus ISPs ??

At first, I thought it was local scamware on my computer. But nothing turned up in scans and I noticed that it only shows up on this one website and not on other websites hosted elsewhere, that I have worked on.

Here's a link to another forum where it was positively identified as originating from the hosting server:

»www.ecommercetemplates.com/suppo···chpage=2

Telus Hosting prices have been weird too. A year ago, they went from $49/month to $5/month for the same Telus plan. Now, I see they are back up to as much as $39/month.

Glen T

BC
Confirmation from Telus:

"This code is automatically added by the Analytics program to track the traffic that is coming to the website. If you do not wish to use Analytics, you will need to speak to billing at 8662928144 to remove the service from the account."