join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Anybody overseed with zoysia?

Long story short, I want to move soon. The front yard looks like shit and has zero curb appeal (unless you are REALLY into dandelion tea).
I was going to get zoysia sod, but I'm looking at $1500-2000 for that. Not much cheaper if I do it myself.

Has anyone ever overseeded a crappy lawn with zoysia? Did it take? I have zoysia in the back yard, and it's beautiful and weed free. It took many years (about 20) for it to "creep" through the yard and choke out all the pussy blue-grass and fescue.

I'd like to speed the process up quite a bit. I don't want to start over on the lawn though.
I've only done zoysia plugs and sod, never seed.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Probably the best way to get the front lawn clean and new grass growing would be to total kill and replant grass seed.

Otherwise you could use some weed and feed then overseed and hope that it fills in decent

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to nunya

If you want to get a lawn looking good "soon" the only option in my opinion is sod.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
reply to nunya

Sod isn't happening. I just got quotes from the sod farms (which are ironically close in proximity to me).
--

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to nunya

»zoysias.com/ This indicated 5 months. I wasn't aware there was different kinds of Zoysia.. might be helpful to know also.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

over seed and water like crazy. i did it last year and in about a month to a month and a half my lawn was looking a million times better. watered 2x a day. i have a sprinkler system and ran each zone for about 20 mins each

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
reply to nunya

I used Miracle Grow on my grass prior to sale and over seeded.
It worked great and fast.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nunya

If all you're trying to do is make it presentable quickly, just overseed with a mix of annual rye and perennial rye. Rye germinates in 7-10 days and grows fast... and it's comparatively cheap. I've never seen Zoysia offered as seed. It's usually provided as plugs that spread/fill over time. It's an aggressive variety and if your neighbors are in the least bit fussy about their lawns, you're going to be Personna non Grata when it creeps onto their property.

Get a spiker/aerator and chew up the lawn a little and overseed heavily with rye. You'll be amazed how fast it comes in. Most "contractor's" mixes are mostly rye because of its rapid germination.

You could try spraying the dandelions with Weed-B-Gone, too. That would help a lot.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Pacrat:

If all you're trying to do is make it presentable quickly, just overseed with a mix of annual rye and perennial rye. Rye germinates in 7-10 days and grows fast... and it's comparatively cheap. I've never seen Zoysia offered as seed. It's usually provided as plugs that spread/fill over time. It's an aggressive variety and if your neighbors are in the least bit fussy about their lawns, you're going to be Personna non Grata when it creeps onto their property.

Amen! My neighbors have Zoysia and it keeps trying to creep into my yard. It looks great when it's green but as a Summer grass it's only green a few months a year so in general it looks like crap.

I second Pacrat about aerating then using annual/perennial rye to overseed. You can get the 'Contractor' mix of Scott's at the box store cheap.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Turf-···03761049 - $44.98

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Pacrat

I didn't know about zoysia seed being available until recently. I had done the plugs and sod before.
My neighbors won't care one bit.

The dandelions are so thick, weed-be-gone would kill everything. I did put down some Scott's weed and feed recently (I NEVER fertilize). I was about to start motherfucking Scott's, but it appears to be working as of today (killing dandelions). This was a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, about 2 days after I put it down, we had torrential rains over, and over, and over, and over, and over...
I think I'm going to say "screw it" and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm out $40 for the zoysia seed, and the birds will get fed.
--

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

said by nunya:

I didn't know about zoysia seed being available until recently. I had done the plugs and sod before.
My neighbors won't care one bit.

The dandelions are so thick, weed-be-gone would kill everything. I did put down some Scott's weed and feed recently (I NEVER fertilize). I was about to start motherfucking Scott's, but it appears to be working as of today (killing dandelions). This was a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, about 2 days after I put it down, we had torrential rains over, and over, and over, and over, and over...
I think I'm going to say "screw it" and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm out $40 for the zoysia seed, and the birds will get fed.

I'm glad to hear that Scott's weed and feed is working for you because I am about to MF them as well. Guess I need to wait a little longer.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
reply to nunya

We tried some zoysia overseed. The seed was ridiculously expensive, and it apparently cannot have the slightest bit of shade or mud or it doesn't take. Even on some perfectly bare patches with bright sunlight, it all pretty much all rotted from the rain we had lately.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Sod isn't happening. I just got quotes from the sod farms (which are ironically close in proximity to me).

Your desire to sell and the need to have good curb appeal might be the determining factor, just consider it a cost of closing a deal. If you close two-three months sooner, whats that worth?

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to nunya

Our area is not really great for zoysia from seed. I've tried it at my parents house and less then 50% germinated, and by the next year it was almost all gone. If you have to have it, use plugs. But if all you want is to get a good lawn for curb appeal for selling, I would just use a good bluegrass and fescue grass seed mix. It will take more quickly and be less expensive.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

CaptEd
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Overland Park, KS
reply to nunya

If you put down weed and feed recently, that pretty much rules out seeding of any type. You're down to plugs or sod my friend.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to exocet_cm

I have rarely had a problem with Scotts' products... including Turf-builder +2 (weed and feed). I have found that applying it correctly is the key. I always try to apply it when the grass is heavy with morning dew. It causes the granules to stick to the broadleaf weeds much better than just being wet after a rain or watering. In order for the "weed" part to work, it has to stick to the leaves of the weeds. If you try to apply it dry, you're just wasting time and money.

But, if you're still dissatisfied with a Scotts' product their guaranty is iron-clad. No questions asked refund of the purchase price... just need the bar code label from the bag, and your sales receipt. All that is necessary is a brief statement of your dissatisfaction with the product. I think the last time I submitted a "claim", I had a check within 4-5 weeks.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

I always took the temporary construction site grass seed (don't remember it's name exactly), and mixed it with regular seed. The temp seed grows in a week and protects the good seed from birds, and helps hold moisture when watered. When the regular seed took hold and grew it replaced the temp grass eventually. It didn't require straw or hay to protect the seed. I have done this several times with Red Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass. They are nice and healthy still today.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

said by Beezel:

I always took the temporary construction site grass seed (don't remember it's name exactly), and mixed it with regular seed. The temp seed grows in a week and protects the good seed from birds, and helps hold moisture when watered. When the regular seed took hold and grew it replaced the temp grass eventually. It didn't require straw or hay to protect the seed. I have done this several times with Red Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass. They are nice and healthy still today.

That's one of the problems with the zoysia seed. You need absolutely bare ground. It must get direct sun to germinate.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews: