Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Re: [Business] Comcast Raising Business Class Equipment Costs AG

said by catnapped:

Didn't somebody say that they were at least considering (rumor?) going to usage-based pricing at some point?

said by ArrayList:

that goes against the entire concept of a business class connection.

Not necessarily. I have worked with customers using T-1 connections that had a base usage rate, and metered access after that base rate was exceeded. That was a fairly common type of plan with ISDN connections too (for smaller businesses who could not afford/justify the expense of a T-1). Bandwidth caps and overage charges are nothing new (even for business class service).
NetFixer

NetFixer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I have ipv6 on business just fine.

So do I, but Comcast does not consider a dynamic IP business class customer with a standard cable modem to be officially getting business class IPv6 service. What you are officially getting is Xfinity residential class IPv6 service (the dynamic IPv4 addresses you get are also not officially business class IP addresses either...they are from the same address pool(s) used by Xfinity residential class customers). It is just a coincidence that you are actually a business class customer.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
It's 2013, not 1993
ArrayList

ArrayList to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
there is no difference between the two. i've had the same ipv4 service the entire time I was on residential also. Heck, it's even the same ip address. NOTHING CHANGED.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Meanwhile any of us who want to run a mail server or small http server HAVE to have business class if we want to do so legally and with a static IP.

Or move that stuff to virtual hosting... which is looking better over time. I may drop business class and move my host/email off home. Could then bundle internet + video, save more than enough to cover the small cost of running mail and web server on a host. Hell, I could run them in Azure for less.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

It's 2013, not 1993

And history does indeed repeat itself. Over and over and over...

And those who don't learn from history are doomed to be unpleasantly surprised over and over and over...
NetFixer

NetFixer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

there is no difference between the two. i've had the same ipv4 service the entire time I was on residential also. Heck, it's even the same ip address. NOTHING CHANGED.

Gee I think hear an echo...echo...echo...
bclbob
join:2000-06-23
Oak Park, IL
·Verizon FiOS

bclbob to loveageek

to loveageek
It really is super cheesy to charge a monthly modem "rental" fee, when they force you to use their "rental" modem to access the service (yes I know you can do SB6121 but then you're not getting static IPs etc).

its also even more insulting its a cheap piece of smc equipment for a 'business' service, thats now $120 a year!
loveageek
Premium Member
join:2009-07-10
Clackamas, OR

loveageek

Premium Member

I agree with everything yous said!!!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to loveageek

to loveageek
got my bill yesterday...

equipment fee did go up to 9.95

BUT my base internet starter package remained at the contracted level price of 59.95.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Meanwhile any of us who want to run a mail server or small http server HAVE to have business class if we want to do so legally and with a static IP.

Do they even do anything about it? I get my mail inbound through the dynamic service. However, you're not going to want to send outbound mail directly it because a % will be rejected.

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

justbits to loveageek

Premium Member

to loveageek
Am I reading the Terms of Service wrong?

3.1... "Except as otherwise indicated herein or on the applicable Service Order(s), monthly recurring charges for Internet Services shall not increase during the initial Service Term."

Does anyone see any text that says that they can change the "Equipment Fee"?

My "Total Monthly Service Charge" for "Internet Services" includes the "Equipment Fee".

Really, I think this is a clear breach of contract. Anyone else digging through the contract?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

Never mind, the infamous Gateway Error strikes again!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· npaWQJO0

NetFixer

NetFixer to justbits

Premium Member

to justbits
said by justbits:

Am I reading the Terms of Service wrong?

3.1... "Except as otherwise indicated herein or on the applicable Service Order(s), monthly recurring charges for Internet Services shall not increase during the initial Service Term."

Does anyone see any text that says that they can change the "Equipment Fee"?

My "Total Monthly Service Charge" for "Internet Services" includes the "Equipment Fee".

Really, I think this is a clear breach of contract. Anyone else digging through the contract?

This same subject was hashed over quite thoroughly when the equipment fee was raised from $5.00 to $7.00. The bottom line is that the TOS is quite lengthy (and there are different TOS documents for each customer depending on when their contract was signed), and there is verbiage that seems to give Comcast the right to change "fees" with a simple 30 day notice.

My response to that past fee increase was to get my own SB6121 and return the SMCD3G-CCR as soon as I could change my network infrastructure to use five dynamic IPv4 addresses instead of a /29 static IPv4 address block. I had other reasons for doing it, including wanting to experiment with Comcast's dual stack IPv4/IPv6 implementation, but the price increase accelerated the change. And FWIW, with the equipment fee and the static IP fee gone, my SB6121 paid for itself in only three months.
bane42
join:2013-05-28

bane42 to justbits

to justbits
I tend to agree although Comcast rep states that it doesn't. My contract references my signed contract (36 month signed in May 2012 under version 16.) My signed contract lists all internet services under Business Class Internet and this includes internet access, equipment fee and static IP. I asked "so by your logic you could raise equipment fee to 1000.00/month and that would not be a violation of my signed contract" he states "yes that is how I see it"

I have been with Comcast business since Jan 2008 and never paid a modem fee until Jan 2012 when they sprung it on my unawares. I then signed a new contract in May 2013 to lock in pricing but that didn't work apparently. I'm not sure what the use of signing a contract to lock in pricing is if they don't honor the contract.

I find it overly burdensome too to have a static IP you can't bring your own modem. So they are effectively charging business customers a premium of 24.90 now up from 21.95 to have the privilege of a static IP. That is very costly.

The purpose of a contract is to lock in pricing and protect both the consumer and the business. This contract as interpreted by Comcast only benefits them.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to loveageek

Premium Member

to loveageek
Do they have a 8x4 SMC yet?
if so then I want to get upgraded to a better SMC

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

Do they have a 8x4 SMC yet?
if so then I want to get upgraded to a better SMC

No, but the Netgear business class device does 8x4, though I don't know when they will be rolling it out to the general public.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Will the netgear be replacing the SMC?
if so then I might also need help revising my asp page for RF stats

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

Will the netgear be replacing the SMC?
if so then I might also need help revising my asp page for RF stats

I think that is their plan, but I have no idea of the timeframe.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to bclbob

Premium Member

to bclbob
said by bclbob:

its also even more insulting its a cheap piece of smc equipment for a 'business' service, thats now $120 a year!

That's the rub for me. If it was business-class Cisco gear, fine. But this is a buggy, PoS SMC device that probably cost them $35 in the first place.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to loveageek

to loveageek
I said Eff it and canned my business line. I made sacrifices and thankfully don't need a static block anymore. I bought a 6141 and got back into a residential promotion for 50x10 blast. This is for my house, so luckily I don't use more than a 200-300GB a month for when the caps come back.

justbits
DSL is dead. Long live DSL!
Premium Member
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL

justbits to loveageek

Premium Member

to loveageek
So, the price change is now in effect in billing... but, did anyone double check their latest bill? I saw my "Taxes, Surcharges & Fees" double in price, besides the "Partial Month Charges & Credits" catchup of $2.95 for the previous month. Anyone else? In the past, Taxes were always $0.56. This latest bill has them at $1.02.

Why did the Taxes... go up by 100% this month? Is this just a billing mistake due to the "catchup"? Or is this yet another little mouse print gotcha in the contract that comes along for the ride with the $2.95 increase in the Equipment fee?
Tekneek
join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA

Tekneek to Contents

to Contents
said by Contents:

Are people buying their own modems for Business Class or are we restricted to paying monthly for this modem?

I bought my own modem back when a firmware upgrade to the SMC gateway broke the powerboost feature. I also got IPv6 addressing with the change too, which has been great to have.

I also had no problems returning the original modem. With the price increase, though, I am trying to determine if I can purchase my own telephony modem to replace the Comcast provided one. I haven't been able to determine if that is possible or economically worthwhile yet (although at $9.95/month, it seems that buying our own makes more economic sense than ever before - were it to go out, we just call Comcast and start renting again).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Tekneek:

I bought my own modem back when a firmware upgrade to the SMC gateway broke the powerboost feature.

To what are you referring?
Tekneek
join:2012-02-19
Bethlehem, GA

Tekneek

The time when an update was pushed to the SMC gateways and the powerboost feature stopped working properly.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Tekneek:

The time when an update was pushed to the SMC gateways and the powerboost feature stopped working properly.

I gathered that from your other post. I'm asking about specifics What problem were you having? I'm wondering if it's the same thing as the issue I am having.