how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

[Signals] Zoom 5341J THAT good?

Today replaced my SB6120 with a 5341J. No measurable speed increase but some minor lag that I'd been seeing seems to be gone (might just be my imagination) and appears that our area had 8 downstream channels so that's another maybe positive. Anyway, everyone said that the numbers for correctables/uncorrectables on the Moto were pretty irrelevant unless they'd become astronomical but is the ZERO for both (on all 8 channels) that I'm seeing on the Zoom correct?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
It depends. How long has the modem been up? How much data have you pushed thru it? Etc, Etc, Etc.

Here's what mine looks like after about 40 days(and nights ) with about 300GB run thru it. Obviously less is better but if you don't notice any problems......

I may make some discrete inquiries and see what is up since the downstream levels are getting lower than they have been as well.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
said by THZNDUP:

It depends. How long has the modem been up? How much data have you pushed thru it? Etc, Etc, Etc.

Here's what mine looks like after about 40 days(and nights ) with about 300GB run thru it. Obviously less is better but if you don't notice any problems......

[att=1]

I may make some discrete inquiries and see what is up since the downstream levels are getting lower than they have been as well.

Temperatures have been on the rise. Our DS signal has dropped around -1.5 Db since March when it was still in the 30s outside. Today was 85.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
Mine shouldn't fluctuate much, it's underground back to the node with only 1 active. I've lost about 6-7db forward. The reverse has remained consistent.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

dmk08809

join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
reply to catnapped
Click for full size
Zoom 5341J signals

Zoom 5341J uptime

From what I can tell at least from my residential Blast service in NJ, the 5341J is quite solid and its not unusual for zero correctable/uncorrectables over the course of months on the downstream. All the problems I've had in the past were upstream noise related which of course you wont see on the modem's stats.

As the weather has warmed from winter cold to spring temps I've noticed downstream receive power levels drop by maybe 2-3dB and upstream transmit power increase by about the same. Makes sense since warmer temps often cause higher attenuation in copper plant whether it be coax or twisted pair.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to catnapped
Your fine.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to catnapped
Unfortunately perfection didn't last...have two channels with errors (only double-digits)

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
There will always be some errors. It's far from a perfect world. Bottom line is, as long as you are not having any connectivity or performance issues, don't sweat it.