Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[Tech] highest end weather station?

What is the highest end one I can get without installing a rain gauge and anemometer? I ask because I'm at a apartment and first floor.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

No help really but I have the best one in the world.... the NWS Key West office is in a Cat 5 building 2 blocks down the street.... talk about a local forecast

And a little historical note.... well before the 2007-8 finacial colapse the wanted to shut down NWS KW and remote control it from Miami.

Well that did not fly well here.... I think congress heard from every resident of the Keys on that one... while we may not leave when told to for Cat 1-2 storms....we very much rely on them for local info, and particularly the fishing and maratime interests.

And again what NOAA never understood in thinking about closing down NWS KW touugh somethines ignored buy the experienced and and sadly ignorant.... we value them immensely... and no if my tax payer dollars go to any thing THIS IS IT!!!!

Well we won and not only did they not leave... its when the new Cat 5 station was built.
The old staff is very appeciative to the commmunity for that and helps out in many ways public service wise, and even new staff they they still have the opportunity to be stationed here.

There probably is not a more loved NWS station in the country, and they do their damnedest REAL not scare BS for us in return.

Oh an I forgot to mention when in hurricane Andrew 92 blew everything off the roof of the Nat Huricane Cente in So Mia their still real time info was coming from NWS KW.... somewhat fringes buit reaches that far... actually so of Mia Kendal/Homestead.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

2 edits

dellsweig to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

What is the highest end one I can get without installing a rain gauge and anemometer? I ask because I'm at a apartment and first floor.

Best is a relative term....

I bought an Oregon Scientific WMR 968 (less than 200$) 5 years ago - wireless, solar powered, integrates with computer - it has worked flawlessly for years.

»www.ambientweather.com/w ··· org.html

While my system includes anemometer and rain gauge, I am sure they offer packages that don't require this. The real differences between professional systems and home systems is the range of readings - mine isnt too accurate over 40MPH winds but is right in there for most everything else. Also professional systems are usually better constructed to survive much harsher conditions.

BTW: it is possible to setup the Anemometer as a stand alone ground based package - just get it as high as you can with no obstructions. Remember - the Oregon systems are wireless.

I sync my weather data to weather underground (www.wunderground.com) so if you want to see what kind of data my system gives (compared to the 20 0r 30 other area home and professional stations) put in 10916 for the zip code.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Solar powered?
I don't see that mentioned in the specs @ Amazon.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Prepare to empty your wallet.

»www.vaisala.com/en/meteo ··· ult.aspx

THe box on the right was a water level monitor and not part of the weather station. All data was uploaded through GOES satellites. THere was also options for local links that we did not use.

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
·EBOX

Hyrules to Subaru

to Subaru
Most weather stations come with a rain gauge and anemometer. To my knowledge the Davis Vantage Pro 2 are known to work pretty well. They are also in the high end range i believe with a price ranging from 500$ to 1000$ depending on the options. I personnaly owned a WMR-968 before but I find the Davis more accurated. Both are wireless and solar powered.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

said by Subaru:

I bought an Oregon Scientific WMR 968 (less than 200$) 5 years ago - wireless, solar powered, integrates with computer - it has worked flawlessly for years.

While my system includes anemometer and rain gauge, I am sure they offer packages that don't require this. The real differences between professional systems and home systems is the range of readings - mine isnt too accurate over 40MPH winds but is right in there for most everything else. Also professional systems are usually better constructed to survive much harsher conditions.

BTW: it is possible to setup the Anemometer as a stand alone ground based package - just get it as high as you can with no obstructions. Remember - the Oregon systems are wireless.

I sync my weather data to weather underground (www.wunderground.com) so if you want to see what kind of data my system gives (compared to the 20 0r 30 other area home and professional stations) put in 10916 for the zip code.

Yeah but I have no place to really mount it.. if I do it would have to be on my window AC unit and that is iffy at best.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Subaru:

said by dellsweig:

said by Subaru:

Yeah but I have no place to really mount it.. if I do it would have to be on my window AC unit and that is iffy at best.

Do you have any exterior common space like a deck or porch?? My temp/hyrometer/pressure package mounts in a small box under my deck, my rain gauge package mounts along-side some steps off of my deck. The Wind package sounds like the only issue here - worst case you stick a pole on the ground or attach it to an out building. Remember you are not constrained by power or wires so it can literally go anywhere.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Nope no deck or porch and the ground is 11 Ft below the window.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Subaru

to Subaru
Just out of curiosity, why install w/o an anemometer? In an apartment? high-end?

If you want something that looks spiffy with accuracy, try these guys:

»capecodwindandweather.com/

This is nice stuff.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

Just out of curiosity, why install w/o an anemometer? In an apartment? high-end?

If you want something that looks spiffy with accuracy, try these guys:

»capecodwindandweather.com/

This is nice stuff.

Wow that's pretty cool
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I was just thinking about something I might be able to run a little further out the window without the window AC throwing things off by using a pipe, maybe the best I could get is a few feet away from the wall.

I've always wanted a Davis system since I was 10 but those prices are pretty hard to do for just weather monitoring.. Anything else that comes close but say maybe $100 cheaper?

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Subaru:

I was just thinking about something I might be able to run a little further out the window without the window AC throwing things off by using a pipe, maybe the best I could get is a few feet away from the wall.

I've always wanted a Davis system since I was 10 but those prices are pretty hard to do for just weather monitoring.. Anything else that comes close but say maybe $100 cheaper?

Look at Oregon Scientific - will be fine for what you are doing

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

How about the Ambient Weather? I need something that is all in one due to the weird mounting position.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

You know what I think I'm going to get this one

Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue weather station
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss to Subaru

to Subaru
The Vues from my understanding are good.

I did however just plop down a chunk for a Davis 6153. That's after having a Honeywell TE-923 for 6 years.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

the Davis had a few celestial features I would like which I thought was pretty nice to add.

For the Davis does the backlight stay on or does it go off after a few seconds?

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
·EBOX

Hyrules to Subaru

to Subaru
quote:
When the console is battery operated, the backlight remains on as long as keys are pressed or a ticker tape message is scrolling across the screen. If no keys are pressed, the backlight automati-
cally turns off about fifteen seconds after it is turned on. If any key is pressed while it is turned on, it will stay illuminated for 60 seconds from the last key press. When battery power is low, the backlight does not light.
When the console receives power from the AC adapter, the backlight remains on until it is toggled off. Leaving the backlight on raises the inside temperature reading and lowers the inside humidity reading.

taken from the manual.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Click for full size
Ah thanks, I kinda worry about the sun they say to face it in the southern sky I only get maybe 2 hours of sun at least on this side of the apartment.

it's going to be crazy in trying to make sure it's level..

my idea was something like this..
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Is this a tall apartment building or only a single-story structure?

If mounting outside an apartment window, if there is any building above the top of the rain bucket it likely will not be accurate at all. Similar for an anemometer.

I think your original target of a station without either of these is best. Davis does have temperature/humidity stations that can be acquired separately that might be a better value. In Davis stations the barometer is integrated with the console and not the sensor station so you would have temp, humidity, and pressure.

I haven't looked elsewhere but I suspect other solutions similarly exist from other vendors.

I would be curious still about the type of structure in which your apartment is located. If it is a tall building, surface heating may lead to temperature readings only accurate for the air space close to the building. There is always almost a compromise with siting personal weather stations so it is important to understand those compromises.

These two docs may help planning which can help your decision on what to purchase:
»www.srh.noaa.gov/media/e ··· ting.pdf
»www.srh.noaa.gov/media/e ··· uide.pdf

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

sadly it's 3 level and I'm on the first floor