TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2

Re: How Yahoo Mail tracks you

said by bbear2:

The sad thing is that most will never read such threads or will simply bend over and accept yahoo's new tracking practices. I for one will not.

I am reasonably certain that I can't be tracked while using Mozilla Thunderbird to access the email. Scanning, yes; but they could do that already (as can any ISP email service). But tracking really requires going through the portal, or, as Google, placing ads and analytics on third party sites.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I agree Norman. I assume with Thunderbird you are accessing your yahoo mail with POP or IMAP; in either case, you will not be tracked; scanned maybe.

It is the "full" web interface that seems to do the tracking as I've seen from Ghostery. Where yahoo really pushed the limit on this is that if you block the tracking, the full web interface does not work. The only way I've been able to get the full to work is by white-listing the entire yahoo mail site to allow full tracking. (Sort of gives a new meaning to what Yahoo calls "full featured" - including tracking ).

I've only come across 1 or 2 other sites that require the tracking but in those cases it was only one specific tracking site, not the entire main site that needed access. This is where I say Yahoo Mail has crossed the line.

Yapoo
@att.net

Yapoo to 19579823

Anon

to 19579823

Re:  

> I will try a login on my Win2K with IE6 PC first though.

I use 98se and old opera browsers, works just fine but after logging in you get the window telling you to upgrade the browser (or continue w/o upgrading) and then the window telling you to turn on JavaShit (or continue w/o it). Finally you get to the email window.

Runaround, so I switched to the mobile login and everything works just fine and quick. I used the Hotmail mobile for a long time until they also forced JavaShit (unknown if there's any way around it) so I only login at the library with their JS and PC's.

At least now I can access the server quickly and no ads via the mobile login and it works on all my subaccts w/o agreeing to the upgrade. Is anyone out there besides "us" upset/complaining about Yapoo! and it's new upgrade? Or are most people simply sheeple and accept what is forced on them?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Yapoo :

Or are most people simply sheeple and accept what is forced on them?

BAA, BAA!!!!!!!!!!

Just because I accepted the change does not make me a, "Sheeple"! I have always preferred to use a stand alone email client. Netscape Navigator, Opera has an integral client, Mozilla Thunderbird, MS Outlook Express (at one time), Windows Live Mail, Pegasus Mail.

I used to use Excite as a portal page; and Yahoo!. But not since 2002. I now used a locally stored image as a browser portal; and only use Web mail for occasional demonstrations.

All of this angst over Yahoo! changes; but I don't see any difference between this month and last in the client view.

Opera email client.

Windows Live Mail.

Mozilla Thunderbird.

I understand there are serious new privacy issues with the Web mail changes. I just can't get myself worked up over it, because it appears that nothing about client access has changed.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by Yapoo :

Or are most people simply sheeple and accept what is forced on them?

BAA, BAA!!!!!!!!!! ....

Beg pardon, but the traditionally correct vocalization would be more like :

"Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ah, Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ah !!!!!!!!!"

But having said THAT, just as you previously decided that you liked using an offline client to do most of your email, I instead chose cloud-based WebMail for most of mine.

Neither of us are 'Sheeple' for having made our choices, as we made them for our OWN reasons.

But having said THAT, I though am more subject to the whims and arrogance of corporations such as Yahoo, and their programmers who must justify their jobs there by from time to time foisting change for the sake of change upon myself and others who made the same choice as I did, in my case some 15 or so years ago when I first embraced Yahoo (and previously Netscape's WebMail) as a way to escape ISP-based email addresses.

However having said THAT, I nonetheless am NOT obliged to bend over and take it without squealing in pain and inconvenience at the process when it happens, as it is now, and as my posts and those of many others here signify.

Dammit Jim, Yahoo didn't even offer us any lube.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14

Re: Uh-Oh !!

said by cb14:

After like 13 years Yahoo I am done. Time to end this foolishness. Just opened an Outlook account. Will probably do a second one soon. Within next 3 months I will definitely severe my ties with Yahoo....

I sincerely believe that Yahoo as a corporation just doesn't 'GET IT'.

They are pissing off longtime users like yourself and I (and who knows how many others, who just get frustrated and go somewhere else for their WebMail and ads after all this time, and do not vent their displeasure here - or even KNOW to).

The larger shame is that Yahoo is ALSO giving up all of the folks (aka RGU's) who we might otherwise steer their way, and now will not, after all of this BS with their 'moving target' interfaces every year or two, and their increasingly sleazy ToS.

And by the time that Yahoo DOES 'get it', Elvis will already have left the building.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to Mr Neutron

Premium Member

to Mr Neutron
said by Mr Neutron:

said by Davesnothere:

....BTW, the Mobile GUI is VERRRRRRY spartan !

But it let me check my mail....

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things up and running without having to undergo the wretched forced upgrade.

(Your "spartan" is my "resource-conserving.")

Yes, that's a lucky break.

And it ALSO proves that Yahoo CAN offer us a simpler interface if they choose to, and that they did not HAVE to abandon their most recent Classic one, just as they did not abandon their Mobile one.

In case Yahoo has any forum readers on staff (live, not BOT), read this :

Yahoo's most recent 'Classic' WebMail interface WAS a satisfactory middle ground, and still WOULD be.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to runnoft

Premium Member

to runnoft

What Else IS There ?

said by runnoft:

....Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good :

Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:
»www.hushmail.com/services/

During review of this useful current thread, I saw your link for HushMail again and decided to check them out too.

Observations :

I have started a new thread to discuss those, as well as for any OTHER WebMail alternatives which anyone wishes to add.

»Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons

Yapoo
@att.net

Yapoo to bbear2

Anon

to bbear2

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

Interesting morning for Yapoo! email glitches. I tried sending POP email on one of my subs and it wouldn't work, gave me a msg that said "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo responded: please verify your account by going to »login.yahoo.com [#mbr1213]

I then tried the mobile login and it wouldn't work. Switched to another acct and it also had a glitch. Finally after several tries the mobile URL worked and I accessed my email. Signed out of the mobile site and tried signing in again and now get the "Unable to process request at this time (Error 999)." msg.

What's wrong now? I was able to send email on POP on one acct but not the other, access the mobile once, then it stops working. Yapoo! errors? Hackers (SMILE) having fun at Yapoo's expense (ours too, frown)?

Just tried downloading email to the PC and it worked on one sub acct, not the other. Yesterday the servers were having issues also, took several tries to send pop mail before it worked. Must be the "New and improved" Yapoo! Glad they upgraded things, wow, it's sooooo much better (Not!).

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Yapoo :

I tried sending POP email on one of my subs and it wouldn't work, gave me a msg that said "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo responded ...

Just a minor observation: I have never been able to send using POP3. Never. Whenever I try 'pop.att.yahoo.com', my email doesn't go out. I have to use 'smtp.att.yahoo.com' to send. POP3 is a receiving protocol. Use SMTP to send; works better.

Sending using SMTP.

Yes, I know you probably know the difference; but your loose use of terminology could confuse readers who don't know.

P.S. Yahoo!, in general, has always had issues with POP3/SMTP access; infrequent, but the older, regional AT&T forums are full of POP3/SMTP login fail threads.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

You cannot send messages via the POP3 protocol, it is only for receiving. Same goes for IMAP. To send SMTP protocol must be used.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

As users of forced email upgrade, you are now part of Yahoo QA team.

As users of forced email upgrade, you are now part of Yahoo QA team.
While Yahoo is forcing the upgrade, scanning and tracking, etc. you can add joining the yahoo email QA team to the list of things they are providing their customers. These are just a few.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

While Yahoo is forcing the upgrade, scanning and tracking, etc. you can add joining the Yahoo email QA team to the list of things they are providing their customers....

Ye-e-e-e-e-e-e-es folks, membership HAS its 'advantages' !

BTW, when do those screens occur ?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

These errors come up in the normal course of using yahoo mail. Could be any time.
bbear2

bbear2

Premium Member

For the past 2 days, while popping yahoo mail, I constantly get snd/rcv errors stating "...your e-mail server rejected your logon. Verify the user name... " well the user name and account are correct as it works some of the time and that information hasn't changed.

I'm wondering if Yahoo mail decided to provide crappy pop3 service now to force users to use the tracking web interface. This has only started since the new email change of a few days ago. Anyone else notice this?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bbear2:

I'm wondering if Yahoo mail decided to provide crappy pop3 service now to force users to use the tracking web interface. This has only started since the new email change of a few days ago. Anyone else notice this?

Recurring POP3 and SMTP login problems have plagued "at&t Yahoo!" users for years; multiple threads can be found in the old, defunct AT&T regional forums.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
I have yahoo.com and yahoo.com.ph accounts, all are accessed daily via POP3 or IMAP and I have no problems with any of them. I log in via the web rarely.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan

Premium Member

said by chrisretusn:

I have yahoo.com and yahoo.com.ph accounts, all are accessed daily via POP3 or IMAP and I have no problems with any of them. I log in via the web rarely.

Same here.

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Some replies above mentioned using the mobile interface at »m.yahoo.com/mail. While that gives the most basic functionality to read and create messages, it's missing many needed features, for example there is no access to change mail settings.

For those of us who normally use IMAP or POP3 via an email client, if Yahoo wanted to be bastards and force agreement to their snooping tactics they could temporarily disable IMAP/POP and make us go into the settings to turn that on again. Access to the settings requires login to the webmail interface, therefore agreement to the new policy...
Rock <- -> Hard place!
shortckt

shortckt

Premium Member

Lots of unhappy Ymail users

Came across this while searching around for any fixes to keep the classic mail. Not a fix but interesting reading.

Marissa Mayer [Yahoo CEO] Rushed The Re-Launch Of Yahoo's Most Important Product, And Users Aren't Happy With The Result

Yahoo's most important product is Yahoo Mail.

It may be in big trouble.

It may be Marissa Mayer's fault.

On December 11 of last year, Mayer wrote a blog post announcing a new version of Yahoo Mail.

It was a big deal for two reasons:

* The new Yahoo Mail was Yahoo's first major product release since Mayer joined the company. The reason the Yahoo board hired Mayer to be CEO is that she is widely considered to be a product genius. Did she deserve the reputation?
* Yahoo Mail is a huge source of traffic and, therefore, revenue for Yahoo. But, because teenagers don't email much at all and adults check email on their phones, Yahoo Mail was losing ground. Could Mayer's update reverse the trend?

In the months prior to that December 11 launch, Mayer... pushed the Yahoo Mail team incredibly hard. The team responded, working nights and weekends for months.

At the end of May, British Internet service-provider BT announced it was switching its 6 million users off of Yahoo Mail... users had been complaining about bugs in the product for months on BT's message boards, and that Yahoo had been unable to fix the issues.

We conducted a survey of 1,200 readers... 57% say they are "unhappy" with the version launched in December [Dec. 2012]...

Besides the speed with which it was built, another reason that Yahoo Mail may be broken is that Shashi Seth, who led its development, no longer works at the company. Mayer asked him to leave Yahoo in January.

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· s-2013-6

And this article brings up a good point about Yahoo just covering themselves for something they have been doing since 2011.

A Lot Of People Seem To Have A Problem With The New Yahoo Mail

As Declan McCullagh at CNET points out, Yahoo actually adopted the policy that lets it scan emails and serve ads back in 2011. He writes:

It's not clear why Yahoo felt the need to remind existing users of language in its 2011 terms of service. One possibility, though, is an effort to head off privacy lawsuits brought by class action lawyers hoping for a million-dollar jackpot. (If there's ever any litigation, defense counsel would surely prefer to rely on informed consent rather than implied consent.)

It's not merely a theoretical possibility: Google was sued in 2011 by a Massachusetts AOL user who sent e-mail to a Gmail account and then claimed her privacy was invaded. Near-identical lawsuits were filed in Marin County, Calif., in June 2012, British Columbia in October 2012, and Florida in November 2012. On April 29, two college students filed yet another suit seeking class action status in San Jose, Calif.

The shuttering of Yahoo Mail Classic also comes on the heels of a separate Yahoo Mail privacy-related story. Last week, a BT made some headlines when it said it would no longer make Yahoo Mail the default email service for its six million customers because of concerns that accounts are vulnerable to getting hacked.

»www.webpronews.com/yahoo ··· -2013-06

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt

said by shortckt:

....For those of us who normally use IMAP or POP3 via an email client, if Yahoo wanted to be bastards and force agreement to their snooping tactics they could temporarily disable IMAP/POP and make us go into the settings to turn that on again. Access to the settings requires login to the webmail interface, therefore agreement to the new policy...
Rock <- -> Hard place!

Mine are currently enabled, and if they did that to ME, it would only be for as long as it took to let me backup my mail to offline and to another online WebMail service which can POP Yahoo's servers ( I've evaluated several these past few weeks ~> »Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons ), test my backups, manually delete all of my mail from Yahoo, and then shut 'er down !
Davesnothere

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt

Re: Lots of unhappy Ymail users

said by shortckt:

Came across this while searching around for any fixes to keep the classic mail. Not a fix but interesting reading.

Marissa Mayer [Yahoo CEO] Rushed The Re-Launch Of Yahoo's Most Important Product, And Users Aren't Happy With The Result

Yahoo's most important product is Yahoo Mail.

It may be in big trouble.

It may be Marissa Mayer's fault....

....The new Yahoo Mail was Yahoo's first major product release since Mayer joined the company.

The reason the Yahoo board hired Mayer to be CEO is that she is widely considered to be a product genius.

Did she deserve the reputation?

Sounds to me like a CEO trying to justify their job to their board of directors and shareholders.

That explains a lot, but doesn't help us [many long-time] Yahoo users any, though.

As is too often the case in life's journey :

Too much 'change for the sake of change'.

Change is not necessarily Progress !
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Recurring POP3 and SMTP login problems have plagued "at&t Yahoo!" users for years; multiple threads can be found in the old, defunct AT&T regional forums.

I looked at a several old posts around the net but nothing conclusive. So I've started a new thread in hopes here: »Intermittent snd/rcv error when with Yahoo Mail and POP3

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Last time (2-3 yrs) when I got pissed at Yahoo and wanted mail off, you had to have a paid account to get it to another mailbox. I found a different service that would collect it, but only a couple of emails at a time.

Yahoo accounts are now only used for groups (I don't do digests, but sometimes will get an email from another member) some newsletters, and spam. I have no contacts, never had a profile, and stopped the other email account from collecting.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Five paragraphs Down, I added my most recent experience with POP-ing Yahoo to this Wiki :

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya ··· oo!_Mail

.... and further down I added other recent info.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to bbear2

to bbear2
Forget about the privacy issues with the new Yahoo Mail. The bottom line is it plain stinks. It crashes both my computers. I get Sever Hangup error messages. You name it. Nothing changed on my end. Both my computers should be well specced enough to handle it (read something about older computers having issues). Obviously there's major flaws with it.

I've had a Google email address for years (yes I know Google is no better in terms of privacy) but I've resisted using it full time as I've had my Yahoo email for 15 years. This debacle is pushing me to leave once and for all.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to bbear2

to bbear2

You can simply use the MOBILE INTERFACE my friend and your email wont be scanned!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

You can simply use the MOBILE INTERFACE my friend and your email wont be scanned!

True, and I am for a short time, but it's TOO basic.

AND, it's the principle of it all.

Yahoo DID this to us.

They did not HAVE to.

They CHOSE to, and they could just as easily choose to bring back the Classic interface right now.

But typical arrogant corporation which they are, by the time that they maybe DO that, they will have bled who knows how many clients, and once they are gone, it's harder to lure them back than it would have been to keep them in the first place.

And the prices which they can charge other advertisers to host their ads will fall, as there will be less users to VIEW them, and then Yahoo SHARE prices will follow.
Expand your moderator at work