uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to bbear2

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

Tonight was the first hour free of pop errors in nearly 2 weeks. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
i'm assuming you are all talking when you log in from your mobile.....if so where has everyone migrated to then after yahoo?

bbear2
Premium
No. It was to windows based Outlook.

bbear2
Premium
reply to bbear2
And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Yahoo has gone once again and changed the UI of its web email. Seems a bit ridiculous to me to do so only a few months after. Geeze, they must really want to continually piss off users. How's that for a new business model.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by bbear2:

.... How's that for a new business model.

It fits everything which I have been saying about them.

So what exactly got changed THIS time ?

bbear2
Premium

1 edit
When you hit COMPOSE, all of the icons (e.g. send, formats, flag, etc.) are now at the bottom. Before they were at the top. But when you read a message they action icons are at the top. And then they also seem to have removed the tabs across the top (which i just got used to) and now they do some very unintuitive navigation vertically.

EDIT: The biggest difference that I've found so far is that because the tabs are gone, and unlike the old-old version, you cannot use your browser tabs, I cannot figure out how to have more than one message open at a time.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

I have not noticed the changes which you mention, and I HAVE been recently using (and also getting accustomed to the top-oriented tabs and controls of) the Yahoo Full New interface, as I explained a few days ago in the linked thread :

»Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons

I am currently testing the Yahoo Full New interface on FireFox 14, as it was a mem-hog on IE8 when I first tried it there.

And I am in Canada, if that makes a diff, and it has in the past with Yahoo changes.

My recent posts about evaluating other WebMail services continue in that thread.

bbear2
Premium
I have two yahoo web emails and one changed, the other didn't. Now I get to learn two UIs from one program. ugg.
Expand your moderator at work

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bbear2

Click the gear icon on the right upper side.
Go to settings and then to viewing email
Scroll to bottom and choose mail version "basic" and go back to what it was.

said by bbear2:

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Yahoo has gone once again and changed the UI of its web email. Seems a bit ridiculous to me to do so only a few months after. Geeze, they must really want to continually piss off users. How's that for a new business model.

bbear2
Premium
Thank you for that BASIC tip. Coincidentally I just got this tip from yahoo. Seems like they knew they would have performance issues otherwise why would they program that in?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to hortnut
said by bbear2:

said by hortnut:

Click the gear icon on the right upper side.
Go to settings and then to viewing email
Scroll to bottom and choose mail version "basic" and go back to what it was.

That's NOT what Yahoo 'BASIC' was like just BEFORE this latest 'stealth' change, which, BTW, has now been rammed down MY throat as of this morning !

Their recent 'Basic' was TOO basic, and it had some features missing (such as auto-complete of recipients), which even their 'Classic' used to have.

Tabs are a good thing, IMNSHO ( spoken by a confirmed browser 'Tab-o-holic' )

I had first encountered them in WebMail while testing Zoho's free WebMail this summer, and liked them THERE, and when I re-tested New Yahoo Full interface again last month, it had and I liked them there too.

Those fucking arrogant corporate Yahoo asses !

If they were responding to feedback from their user base in the latest changes, then they need to respond to THIS :

"Put CLASSIC back as an option, with a link in plain view, and observe how many of us return to it !"

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Thank you for that BASIC tip.

Coincidentally I just got this tip from yahoo.

Seems like they knew they would have performance issues, otherwise why would they program that in?

So are we saying that the Yahoo 'Basic' interface has now functionally become EVERYTHING which their most recent past 'Full' interface was ?

BTW, the speed/performance of the Yahoo 'Full' I/F had not been an issue for me recently, as long as I was in FireFox rather than IE.

When/Where does that prompt in the screen-grab appear ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

What's more, Yahoo has now begun a series of 'Nag Screens', one to pester you to 'upgrade' your browser (also my main reason for not giving GMail much of a chance this year), and the other to prompt you to set a 'theme' for their webmail.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Other Newest Changes in Yahoo WebMail

Snippets : There is a config setting to disable them, but it ignores me.

An arrow to HIDE their right side ADs to give more width to view inbox or messages - however they return when you change or refresh pages.

A field in the inbox now it shows WHO ELSE was a recipient to each message addressed to you. - This is nice, but not sure whether all parties must be on the main recipient line or whether the CC line qualifies too - I must test that detail yet.

And last but certainly not least : I MISS THE TABs !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

bbear2
Premium
reply to bbear2

said by Davesnothere:

Thei recent 'Basic' It was TOO basic, and it had some features missing (such as autocomplete of recipients), which even their 'Classic' used to have.

In this "new" Basic, autocomplete of the recipients does not work for me. Guess they "fixed" that one really good.

said by Davesnothere:

So are we saying that the Yahoo 'Basic' interface has now functionally become EVERYTHING which their most recent past 'Full' interface was ?

Given that at least autocomplete doesn't work for me, I'd say no, they did not move everything.

said by Davesnothere:

When/Where does that prompt in the screen-grab appear ?...

It appears at the lower right portion of the email screen when I wait like forever for yahoo mail to return.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

What's more, Yahoo has now begun a series of 'Nag Screens', one to pester you to 'upgrade' your browser (also my main reason for not giving GMail much of a chance this year), and the other to prompt you to set a 'theme' for their webmail.

You are only seeing those just now? I have been getting them ever since the forced "upgrade" went into effect.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

If you mean with their well-publicized JULY forced upgrade, then no, but I only relented and accepted it during September, after 2 months or more of testing other free WebMail services, while using Yahoo's Mobile login, which itself ALSO got changed during September.

I am narrowing the field in those (and have created a comparison spreadsheet table of features and functions), as explained in my more recent posts in the below-linked thread.

»Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons

If you mean with Yahoo's later 'October Stealth' forced upgrade, then yes, that's when I first saw those screens.

YesTURDay, I closed and reopened FireFox, and when I went there again, it all happened, for/to me.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Davesnothere:

If you mean with their well-publicized JULY forced upgrade, then no, but I only relented and accepted it during September ...

How did you avoid the July upgrade? They were pretty much in my face about it. Since I mostly rely on IMAP, though, I did not look for a work around. I just access web mail to create/delete filters/disposable email addresses, and train Spamguard in the very infrequent outliers (spam not sequestered as Bulk, or ham falsely sequestered as Bulk).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by NormanS:

How did you avoid the July upgrade? They were pretty much in my face about it.....

By not logging in to say "yes" to it.

I think that you replied before I edited my post to add that I limited myself to their Mobile login for a period.

No nag THERE.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to bbear2

FYI :

In this latest version of Yahoo's Full UI, there is a link called 'Send Feedback', located below the folders tree.

If you enter it, a popup happens - also with existing feedback topics - and you can make a new topic, or can vote to add your force to the other opinions, or you can add comments to the existing topics as well.

Several of those expressed are the same as what you said when you revived this thread the other day.

I cast votes in some of them.

Not sure what diff it will make, but FOR ONCE they DO seem to be actively soliciting our reactions to these newest unannounced changes !

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
The full version works really miserably with IE, somewhat better with Firefox and better with Chrome( although for some reason i always get that small font size first). The basic version works fine with Firefox.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Davesnothere

I dont think they care to be quite frank about it

THESE COMPANIES DO WHAT THEY WANT AND SCREW THE CUSTOMER/USER,its really quite sad.....

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

That's NOT what Yahoo 'BASIC' was like just BEFORE this latest 'stealth' change, which, BTW, has now been rammed down MY throat as of this morning !

Their recent 'Basic' was TOO basic, and it had some features missing (such as auto-complete of recipients), which even their 'Classic' used to have.

Tabs are a good thing, IMNSHO ( spoken by a confirmed browser 'Tab-o-holic' )

I had first encountered them in WebMail while testing Zoho's free WebMail this summer, and liked them THERE, and when I re-tested New Yahoo Full interface again last month, it had and I liked them there too.

If they were responding to feedback from their user base in the latest changes, then they need to respond to THIS :

"Put CLASSIC back as an option, with a link in plain view, and observe how many of us return to it !"

Yep, the basic is very basic. I too am tired of the constant changes that are unannounced.

I have found that if I run CCleaner that cookies for yahoo are removed and it reverts back to the "new version"

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

You have this everywhere. Look how many people would like to stay with Windows XP ( or even better further developed XP) . Instead of that, we ended up with W8 junk. The big corporate manipulates our lives into the last detail.
Honestly, I keep on using e-mail because everybody else does, but I can perfectly imagine living without it.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

FYI :

In this latest version of Yahoo's Full UI, there is a link called 'Send Feedback', located below the folders tree....

In that forum, I have quoted and edited for clarity, a post from someone a few hours ago :

(This may not work forever, but it does right now, and you must first log in and go to your Inbox.)

"Want your 'not-so-old' Full email style back ? -- listen carefully :

In the address bar, you will find the word 'launch'.

Edit the URL to change only THAT word into 'search', then hit 'GO',

and you will get the not-so-old Full format back".

I have tested this and it works as suggested.

(BTW, I am the person posting over there as 'Dave in Canada')

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

I posted this over there, and DSLR users should be informed of it too :

quote:
GIN said : "Someone mentioned zoho.com

I checked but it was not clear to me how it would work as just a simple email replacement.

Any advice on this or other options is most welcome."

REPLY : Naturally, they would rather SELL you something.

But try this link, in order to set up a free personal WebMail account with Zoho :

»personal.zoho.com

Yes, they HAVE the TABs feature like Yahoo briefly copied.

Dave in Canada

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Here is another workaround, posted in that Yahoo feedback forum :

(I have not tested it yet, as the first one is still working for me)

quote:
Judy byrnes commented · October 14, 2013 11:39 am ·

GET YOUR TABS AND OLD YAHOO BACK!!!

Go to settings (cogwheel) and click on viewing e mail. Click on "basic". When the basic version appears, use your browser to go back and the user-friendly yahoo with tabs, print, sort, save drafts, etc will come up.

(You won't stay in basic if you hit the back arrow-that is what takes you to the 0lder and better, pre October surprise version. At least this works with Firefox.

I just did this myself, and have done it at least 20 times since I accidentally found it on Oct. 11th.

It is all there! Just hit that back arrow!

bbear2
Premium
I can confirm that this method does work - as strange as it sounds. However, I cannot get it to stick across logons. Meaning that it has to be done each time you logon to the account.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

K00L !

And, you can set Yahoo logins to persist for up to 2 WEEKs now.