Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Anonymous_

Re:  

said by Anonymous_:

said by Mr Neutron:

Since a week has gone by without a reply to your question, I'm guessing that the answer is "no" at this point. However, if someone does have a way to get back to the Classic interface as of today (July 7th), well, I'm all ears.

I had Classic up until earlier today when my browser took a dump. Alas, now Yahoo is politely but forcefully insisting that "Today's the day," by offering (okay, demanding that I agree to) their "upgrade."

It looks like July 7th is "U-Day" ("U" = Upgrade or Else) for Yahoo Mail. However, this is one of those times where I would love to be wrong, so if there's still a workaround at this point, I'd be much obliged if someone would be willing to share it.

still working for me...

I just now logged back in and no 'Side-Grade' prompt today so far.

I wonder how long the 'Remind Me Later' link will still be there and/or work ?

BTW, I have a .com Yahoo email address, but am located in Canada. (it was a choice I made back in the 90's when I first got it)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to bbear2
Whenever i see "Remind me later" and try to click it,IT JUST RELOADS THE SAME PAGE

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to Davesnothere

Uh-Oh !!

Looks like I spoke too soon !

My question has been answered.

There is no more 'Remind Me Later' link this time.

There IS, however, a small link in the greyed out area near where that link USED to be, offering to let me "opt out of context sensitive ads from scanning of emails", or words to that effect.

I will now choose it, along with first clicking 'Basic' interface, see what happens, and if my computer does not explode, I will post an update ASAP.

UPDATE 01 : That link brought up a new preferences screen regarding privacy and ads, but did not log me in.

Looks like I will need to click the dreaded (bend over and) 'Switch Now' button.

I will try a login on my Win2K with IE6 PC first though.

BIAB....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
said by Davesnothere:

Looks like I will need to click the dreaded (bend over and) 'Switch Now' button.

Don't pull the trigger! The mobile log-in still works!

Now I'm wondering if they will leave the mobile log-in page up because the new and "improved" Yahoo is too CPU-intensive for smartphones.
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to bbear2

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

Yeah, Yahoo has removed "Ask me later" as an option for me as well. I have migrated everything that was on the Yahoo account over to a free outlook.com account on Office 2010's Outlook and am happy with it. I'm not going to agree to Yahoo's forced change unless I someday need access to something that is only there. I tried to forward all the mail I thought I would need to the new account but may have missed something.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by runnoft:

tried to forward all the mail I thought I would need to the new account but may have missed something.

I would have set up both Yahoo! and Outlook.com in Windows Live Mail. Outlook.com using DeltaSync and Yahoo! using IMAP. Then it would just require copying from the one to the other within the application.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Mr Neutron

Re: Uh-Oh !!

said by Mr Neutron:

said by Davesnothere:

I will try a login on my Win2K with IE6 PC first though.

Don't pull the trigger!

The mobile log-in still works!

Now I'm wondering if they will leave the mobile log-in page up because the new and "improved" Yahoo is too CPU-intensive for smartphones.

Good question.

Anyway, I tried a login on my Win2K PC using IE6, and I now get the same 'no choice' choice screen as on my newer units.

So will this mobile login still work on a PC ?

(Did it work before ?)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Yes it works well!!!!!!!

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Anyway, I tried a login on my Win2K PC using IE6, and I now get the same 'no choice' choice screen as on my newer units.

Sorry, do you mean you're trying the mobile login using IE6?

If so, please excuse my asking, but: did you change the user agent to that of a mobile browser and take care to delete the old Yahoo cookies from the old browsing session when you pulled up the "no choice" screen?

said by Davesnothere:

So will this mobile login still work on a PC ?

(Did it work before ?)

I can't confirm whether it works with IE6 firsthand (can someone else please jump in here?), but if you've followed the above steps, I don't see why the mobile login wouldn't work right now for you.

»mlogin.yahoo.com/
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by Mr Neutron:

said by Davesnothere:

Sorry, do you mean you're trying the mobile login using IE6? ....

No - at that point I had not yet tried mobile at all.

Mayhaps I was a bit ambiguous in how I worded that.

said by Mr Neutron:

....If so, please excuse my asking, but: did you change the user agent to that of a mobile browser and take care to delete the old Yahoo cookies from the old browsing session when you pulled up the "no choice" screen? ....

Actually no, I did neither of those 2 things, and was using my normal login on the Win2K PC, which I do not usually use at all to access my Yahoo eMail, so it might be moot about whether I did the other things which you said.

However I also did not do them either on the 2 PCs which I usually DO use to access my Yahoo eMail.

said by Mr Neutron:

....I don't see why the mobile login wouldn't work right now for you.

»mlogin.yahoo.com/

And it does, without having made any settings changes, from my Vista Home Basic PC using IE8.

My biggest hurdle was finding the link - it was in another thread, not the current thread.

Still, thanks for posting it.

= = = = = = = = =

BTW, the Mobile GUI is VERRRRRRY spartan !

But it let me check my mail.

So just how would a person change any of their numerous Yahoo settings, if they only were going use the mobile login from now on ?

What about folks who ONLY access Yahoo by mobile ?

Call Yahoo support and ask THEM to change our settings FOR us ?

(Yes, they DO have a number for live support, but I doubt that they are accustomed to such requests.

I called it once about the recent failed 'Create Extra Email Address' link snafu.)

»Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link seems Broken

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to bbear2

The mobile login link above does work for me as well in Win 8 using Firefox. It is a suitable backdoor way in, but the interface is as bad or worse as I remember the new Yahoo! email one being, but if you need access to your old e-mail or contacts, it's a way in.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Mr Neutron

Yes I am on IE6 and the mobile interface works fine....

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to bbear2

Click for full size
Ya the remind me later link is gone in my K-meleon browser too........so I upgraded to see and it doesn't work worth shit.

Thunderbird gets all my Yahoo email anyway................stupid policy.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to bbear2

Im curious about this new interface.....

I wonder if the scanning it does relys on JAVASCRIPT (In other words the scanning happens LOCALLY in your browser) so if you login to the NEW INTERFACE WITH SCRIPTING DISABLED,THE SCANNING WONT WORK?? (Something to think about anyway)

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to Davesnothere

I am not able to get into my e-mail since the 07th. I will wait till tomorrow and I guess I will have to "upgrade". What out the options. ?
I have G mail, but they are not less intrusive than the new Yahoo and the site is not as convenient as Yahoo classic. Hotmail used to be a real pain, I do not know now.
Now that everything is e-mail based there is no way back. Dammit.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Just use Thunderbird for your Yahoo mail.

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
I tried and it will not recognize my yahoo password.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Click for full size
These are my settings.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to cb14
Here is what works for me:

Configuring Yahoo! in Mozilla Thunderbird.

"Pacific Bell Mail" is also Yahoo!, but I have to configure a separate SMTP server login due to a quirk where Yahoo! expects the same email address as username.
--
Norman

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to bbear2

Like many, I got screw'hoo'd today too. And I've been working on moving all my folders out. The strange thing is that I cannot switch to the 'full' version and even when I select that vs. the basic, and save it, it won't stick. Oh WTF it don't matter. I'm moving off this yahoo mail crap anyway and never coming back. I've had enough.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Just use Thunderbird for your Yahoo mail.

Eudora works too, as a POP client - at least it did when this new Ya-hooey was first announced.

Version 6.2.5 on XP Home/SP3

I have about a month of recent new msgs to pull down, then prob'ly switch to Outlook.com....

References : »www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hooey

cb14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·callwithus
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
After like 13 years Yahoo I am done. Time to end this foolishness. Just opened an Outlook account. Will probably do a second one soon. Within next 3 months I will definitely severe my ties with yahoo. My in boxes got increasingly filled with spam in the recent weeks. Another form of pressure. That's it.

bbear2
Premium
said by cb14:

After like 13 years Yahoo I am done. Time to end this foolishness. Just opened an Outlook account. ...

Exactly! Do you mean outlook.com for your new email? Do they have POP and IMAP?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to cb14
said by cb14:

My in boxes got increasingly filled with spam in the recent weeks. Another form of pressure.

I get no spam to the Inbox of my 14-year-old Yahoo! account. I average about four spam messages a day to the "Bulk Mail" folder.

I haven't seen any spam to my commonly used '@pacbell.net' account, not even to the "Bulk Mail" folder; it is accessed as a free Yahoo! account.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for both.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Exactly! Do you mean outlook.com for your new email? Do they have POP and IMAP?

POP3, yes.
IMAP, no. But the Windows Live Mail desktop mail and news client offers, "DeltaSynch", which works like IMAP. In fact, I just moved a wad of e-mail from Outllook.com to Yahoo! in Windows Live Mail. It would work going the other way, as well.
--
Norman

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

= = = = = = = = =

BTW, the Mobile GUI is VERRRRRRY spartan !

But it let me check my mail.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things up and running without having to undergo the wretched forced upgrade.

(Your "spartan" is my "resource-conserving.")
--

Mr Neutron
Premium
Gorham, ME
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Im curious about this new interface.....

I wonder if the scanning it does relys on JAVASCRIPT (In other words the scanning happens LOCALLY in your browser) so if you login to the NEW INTERFACE WITH SCRIPTING DISABLED,THE SCANNING WONT WORK?? (Something to think about anyway)

I, too, would like to know if it's possible to use the new interface with a minimum of newly-introduced overhead.

From what I can gather from the below (thank you, anon user):

said by Yapoo :

"The question remains. If I ugrade "one" of my sub accounts, will I be able to login and access email without JavaShit enabled? I probably will eventually try that on a sub account but will wait a while to see if anyone else has success doing it first."

Answering my own question, yes, I was able to login without JavaShit on one of my subaccounts. POP still works just fine and since I almost never access the Home page, that's fine by me. But it's good to know that I can migrate to the new nonsense Yapoo! is offering without needing JavaShit.

...it is possible to log in without Javascript being enabled.

However, whether the new scanning nonsense is dependent upon Javascript to work is a question I don't have the answer to.

Disabling JS seems like far too easy a workaround to bypass scanning to me, especially given the fact that the whole scanning scheme directly affects their ad revenue (or so I would think).

That said, I would be gratified if disabling JS did work, as I just don't have the extra clock cycles to waste on this "improved" scanning BS.

Yahoo seems to think that their end users have endless CPU power to blow on their new interface. While that might be true for most people (?), it's not true in my own case and I simply don't have the dough to upgrade my hardware to allow me to read email that, with a few exceptions, I only half-care about anyway.
--

bbear2
Premium

Re: How Yahoo Mail tracks you

In my efforts to clean things up and prepare to move off of yahoo mail here's what I found. Disclaimer: I could be all wrong about this, but it's what I've observed as a regular user thus far. There are two interfaces, the Full Featured; and the basic. The Full interface is the one that tracks you, reads your email, and selects which ads to deliver. While the basic interface (see below for how to defeat the Full interface with Firefox) seems not to do so as I can still run it with most of my privacy protection in place.

Interestingly enough, I disabled java in my add-ons within Firefox and the Full interface still worked (I can't explain it based on what I've read, but it does). If you don't have ying script enabled (e.g. blocked by NoScript), then the Full interface will not work. If you use Ghostery (and everyone should IMHO) you must white list the yahoo mail site, (not only one tracking site at a time) for the FF interface to work. I'm guessing it is this last one that allows all the stuff that tracks you, reads your emails and delivers the ads.

If you fake out yahoo mail and tell it you are using say IE6; (using the FF extension called: User Agent Switcher (let's your browser look like something it is not) then you get the prompt to upgrade to a "supported" browser or continue with basic mode. In this mode I don't even need YING scripts (blocked courtesy of NoScript), and Ghostery is completely working without yahoo mail being whitelisted, showing one tracking site (Right Media - block tyvm).and that's it. This is compared to numerous tracking sites with the Full interface and countless number of trackers used.

If you really want to see all this, run Firefox and load up Ghostery and do the compare of Full vs. basic for yourself. Or even if you're just curious about what the Full is tracking, load it up and see. I can post screen shots if anyone is interested.

Enough wasted time. Can we get back to doing something fun or useful?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by bbear2:

Interestingly enough, I disabled java in my add-ons within Firefox and the Full interface still worked (I can't explain it based on what I've read, but it does).

I don't even have Java installed, and Yahoo! works fine without it. Javascript is another animal, though.
--
Norman

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Java IS NOT Javascript!! bbear2 .. Disabling JAVA wont have any affect!!

I almost always have scripts disabled (JAVASCRIPT) which is why i was wondering about the scanning dependencies...

said by Mr Neutron :
Disabling JS seems like far too easy a workaround to bypass scanning to me
Yes well maybe they got stupid thinking no one would figure that out?? (The new FULL INTERFACE is quite CPU intensive (And doesnt work w/o scripts enabled so who knows))