uniqs
share rss forum feed

hardhead
Premium
join:2011-03-26
Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..

[Connectivity] What happened in Lexington, KY?

Total outage from 12:15 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. today (Wed., 5/1). No explanation or even acknowledgement on Insight Web page - nothing in local news - tech support line knew there were "technical difficulties" in "your area", but offered nothing more (voice mail, you know), and no chance to respond.

Is this the sort of service we can expect now from TWC?

nocjallen

join:2013-05-01
Louisville, KY
Midnight to 0600 AM (local time) is the typical maintenance window that Insight/TWC operates under. Unless there was an unscheduled outage, you were affected by a scheduled maintenance.

Hope this helps.

kalone
Premium
join:2002-07-02
Lexington, KY
reply to hardhead
Mine was out last Saturday night from 8:15 PM to 11:30 PM. Not regular maintenance schedule. I phoned and the not live machine verified that my service was in fact down, and they were aware of it but no time frame or reason was given and was advised that Reps would have no more info.

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Maybe they are getting things interconnected through TWC by region. Here in Northern KY things are running normally.

hardhead
Premium
Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..
reply to nocjallen
nocjallen - In over 5 years of using Insight, this is the first time I've experienced more than just a very brief, momentary outage. So this was definitely not scheduled maintenance. CATV was out also.

kalone - My experience matches yours exactly, except for the duration. Was this your first such outage as well?

In any case, this is, for me, totally unacceptable performance. It makes my blood boil to realize, though, that there is essentially no alternative. I remember clearly online conversations over 20 years ago wherein just such eventualities were being discussed in connection with the privatization of Internet infrastructure; as many warned at that time, it has turned out to be a huge mistake.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to hardhead
I had one of those a few weeks back, CS could care less.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

I had one of those a few weeks back, CS could care less.

Insight has never cared about the quality of service in the many years I have dealt with them at various locations -- why should they start now? For example back in 2002 when I lived in Reynoldsburg OH and had Insight they refused to fix a signal issue causing heavy packet loss.. Insight's solution was to keep crediting my bill every time I called in -- I lived at that place for 2 years and never paid a full month with Insight.

* back then the other option was 768kbps ADSL with SBC..

Luckily Insight's system has improved (at least where I live now).. even if it's not perfect.

hardhead
Premium
Lexington, KY
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..
Certainly, Insight had its shortcomings, but for me reliability was never a problem - in fact, it was the only thing really going for it. But this isn't Insight any more: It's Time-Warner now, and it's clear that reliability is not a priority for them.

The real problem - and it's generally the case everywhere in the US - is the lack of competition between ISPs. In Lexington, we have TWC, which we are rapidly becoming acquainted with (in my case, 20 Mbps, which I never get, for $64 per month); Windstream, which is offering "up to" 6 Mbps for $50 a month; and satellite, with 15 Mbps for $100 per month (with a 20 GB monthly download cap!). That, folks, is not competitive, it's an insulting joke ...

The only solution I can see is for one or another non-profit entity (government, if need be) to assume control of the hardware infrastructure and make it available to all - as is done in countries like Japan, with 2Gbps speeds for $35 per month.

DevilOnE
Fozzie the buttplug, Vu the shitkicker
Premium
join:2003-12-12
Evansville, IN
reply to hardhead
I never really had issues with Insight and i've been with them since 2001. A couple yrs ago i had a modem issue and they brought out a new modem and i was never charged for it.