Interessting LED info

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Very interesting indeed. Doesn't make me want to zip down to the big box store and buy several dozen. For now I'll stick with incandescent and CFL's. The amount of lighting my wife and I use makes the cost of operation a non-issue.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

2 edits
halogen & incandescent bulbs FTW!
I hate HCFL's and LED bulbs since they cause a allergic reaction it causes severe eye irritation and strain after a while of having them on. Yes a actual physical reaction to them.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to rfhar
Try this if you have trouble with above

»dailynexus.com/2013-04-29/scient···y-droop/

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to rfhar
With the electric rates in this part of the country I try to be as energy efficient as possible.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_
This explains why a low cost 7 watt LED flashlight is much less bright than a costlier 7 watt flashlight.

In the low-cost flashlight, the LED is being driven very close to its maximum rating, and efficiency drops quite a bit at that current level.

However, the higher cost flashlight uses an LED that is rated for much more current than what it is being run at. The end result is that the LED is operating at its peak efficiency, so it is much brighter without draining the battery any faster.

So the choice the manufacturer has to make when designing any kind of LED lighting product, is whether to sacrifice efficiency and use lower power LEDs which cost less, or to add extra or higher rated LEDs to gain better efficiency, but driving up the cost of the product.

Makes perfect sense now.

said by Anonymous_:

Incandescent and halogen bulbs have the added benefit of making the room warmer.

Not really desirable in the south where people are using air conditioning, but here in the north, it's nice to have some extra heat.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

I hate HCFL's and LED bulbs since they cause a allergic reaction it causes severe eye irritation and strain after a while of having them on. Yes a actual physical reaction to them.

How about the "long tube" fluorescents?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by SparkChaser:

said by Anonymous_:

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though.
30min to a hour.

I know my brothers LCD that has HCFL(Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamps) and I get severe eye irritation and strain in less then 5 min.

(CCFL)Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps are not as bad (depending on the quality)
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Anonymous_:

said by SparkChaser:

said by Anonymous_:

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though.
30min to a hour.

I know my brothers LCD that has HCFL(Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamps) and I get severe eye irritation and strain in less then 5 min.

Also the refresh rate adds to the eye sensitivity. A 60 hertz refresh rate on a LCD drives me crazy but at 75 it doesn't.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though. 30min to a hour.

That is interesting. Long tubes with the magnetic ballast have a frequency of 120Hz. Electronics ballast and cfl, led in the +20KHz. So, a large difference. I wonder if it's related to wavelength.

I did a quick Google for some information but found no definitive answer.

Just curious
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico."

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Beezel
LOL! I hate the Cadillac LED tail lites. Move your head quickly or eyes, and you see the refresh. Apparently, ONLY with GM cars...

Oh, and lets not forget the cop cars with the new LED Lighthouses on their roofs... Yes, can see for over a mile, yet, at night, when approached, no wonder people get night blinded! I don't ever recall cop lights being so bright!
--
Splat

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to rfhar
I don't think we will see the application of 300 lumen per watt LEDs any time soon, but 200 lumen per watt LEDs are just around the corner. »www.poplarnetwork.com/news/phili···ens-watt

That would be either 3 times as efficient or 3 times as bright as current products. I'll take the brightness. Get 200 watts of incandescent brightness (about 3000 lumens) using 15 watts of real power and I start to get very interested. Meanwhile not one of the 3 or 4 LG LED bulbs I put in a year ago is still operating properly. I'm still a skeptic except when it comes to my RV.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Kramer:

I don't think we will see the application of 300 lumen per watt LEDs any time soon, but 200 lumen per watt LEDs are just around the corner. »www.poplarnetwork.com/news/phili···ens-watt

That would be either 3 times as efficient or 3 times as bright as current products. I'll take the brightness. Get 200 watts of incandescent brightness (about 3000 lumens) using 15 watts of real power and I start to get very interested. Meanwhile not one of the 3 or 4 LG LED bulbs I put in a year ago is still operating properly. I'm still a skeptic except when it comes to my RV.

I'll stick to my incandescent and CFL lamps. I really don't need to to purchase overpriced LED's to save money.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
I agree with you, but I do believe we are on the cusp of an LED revolution in lighting. They appear to be close to increasing brightness to a point where I get interested. In my RV, LED light makes a lot of sense and I use it where possible. I don't care how much it costs. When you have single 12v battery or shore power of 30 amps, every saved watt is quite valuable.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Kramer:

I agree with you, but I do believe we are on the cusp of an LED revolution in lighting. They appear to be close to increasing brightness to a point where I get interested. In my RV, LED light makes a lot of sense and I use it where possible. I don't care how much it costs. When you have single 12v battery or shore power of 30 amps, every saved watt is quite valuable.

You don't have a generator for your RV? My sister and brother in law use theirs for their primary home and the generator is a godsend.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Hell no. Virtually no campground allows them after certain hours and there isn't any room for it anyway. Most importantly, I can't afford what I would want, which would be two Hondas, which together would be enough to push the AC. They would run $2000+ for the two of them.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Also the refresh rate adds to the eye sensitivity. A 60 hertz refresh rate on a LCD drives me crazy but at 75 it doesn't.

That makes no sense. The LCD doesn't refresh like a CRT, the backlight is basically "ON" at all times. 10Hz or 200Hz refresh on a LCD will make no difference if the image is static.