« No Class
This is a sub-selection from Church members

mags2
Agent Provocateur

join:2001-07-19
SoCal
reply to BrianDamage06

Re: Church members

Religious discussions are always going to attract those of varying opinions, including atheists/agnostics....But the only thing that has been certain throughout the course of human history as we know it is that religion, in its' varying degrees of philosophy, has been responsible for more deaths of human beings than any other single cause. One should also be prepared to accept criticism as much as support in issues such as these.

Well said, BrianDamage. I have always subscribed to the idea that religion -generally speaking- kills a thinking mind dead and the only way most acolytes of the faith can keep it together is to prosecute, proselytize and otherwise eradicate those who believe anything different.
--
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty. -T.Jefferson

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter

You all are right. "Religion" has been the named cause of horrible acts throughout history. Or rather, the people behind the "religion". I wonder what your excuses would be for horrible acts caused by people without "religion".

It's one think to hold an opinion. It's quite another to vocalize it in a fashion as to draw a flame. Regardless of what beliefs people may hold, boldly calling someone "weak-willed/weak minded" is an insult. Personally I don't trip. That just showed your charature as a person. But, there are millions of upstanding people that integrate a spiritual routine in their lives that are well beyond "weak-willed/weak minded" that may be offended.
--
-- Someday, I'll be the most powerful Jedi ever.
Man, PHP rocks!

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

reply to mags2

said by mags2:
I have always subscribed to the idea that religion -generally speaking- kills a thinking mind dead and the only way most acolytes of the faith can keep it together is to prosecute, proselytize and otherwise eradicate those who believe anything different.

It's the people, not the religion, that makes your statement true. Catholicism is made up of a group of people who view God in a certain way and want to worship in that way. There are those in the Catholic faith who have abused and distorted that to gain wealth and power. The rise of the Catholic church during the medieval era comes to mind as well as the Crusades. These abominations don't stop the fact there are Catholic people who are good people who do not judge and persecute, but support their community and non-catholics.

EVERY religion has that problem as it's the people who make the religion. People make choices, including ones of faith. Some people make choices that do not benefit others. Some people distort a belief system to gain superiority from others (lots of the persecution issues I think stem from that). There are some weak willed people who do follow a faith because they were swept up in the wave made from a particular religion. But then again those are the same people who would have been swept up by anything that draws them in and accepts them.

I just can't agree to an over-generalization of this issue as there are way too many parameters that fall into place. Also it's easier to hear about the negative aspects since that's what gets in the news. You find all kinds of people in religion, just like you find all kinds of people everywhere else. You might see it one way due to your own personal experiences. I have seen more than one side to this issue and try to keep an open mind regarding religion.
--
When do I get my freakin' third star?!?!?

[text was edited by author 2002-03-22 11:23:19]

[text was edited by author 2002-03-22 11:42:10]

no1ukn0w
Whats This?

join:2002-01-24
Boerne, TX

"It's the people, not the religion, that makes your statement true. "

Once again to the question of "do guns kill people or do people kill people?".. Your statement is so true. No religion or belief has ever killed anyone.. the person killed the other.. Religion is a set of words .. words don't kill people.

And I am sure mags2 will try to find some way to argue this point.. but any logical thinking person would see this.

mags2
Agent Provocateur

SoCal

Church Chat

And I am sure mags2 will try to find some way to argue this point.. but any logical thinking person would see this.

Oh well allow me to retort. So, by inference here, I'm "arguing" a point. Tell me then, what is it exactly that you're doing? Besides riding someone else's coat-tails, that is. You know you opened yourself wide open for a flame by implying that anyone who disagrees with you and your bud is illogical so please, no whining. On second thought, nevermind; Don't bother replying.
--
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty. -T.Jefferson

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

said by mags2:
You know you opened yourself wide open for a flame by implying that anyone who disagrees with you and your bud is illogical so please, no whining. On second thought, nevermind; Don't bother replying.
Hmmm and what exactly did *you* do when you stated (in even less words) that anyone with religious beliefs are "weak willed" and obviously don't have a thinking mind? Pot calling the Kettle black a bit, eh? I mean you don't have to hold any religious beliefs at all to realize that being a hypocrite is an expression of character.... or lack thereof.

Nobody is perfect, but try not to shove your foot in your mouth if you can.

mags2
Agent Provocateur

SoCal

try not to shove your foot in your mouth if you can.

Thanks for chiming in, chum. I will if you will.
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Nice editing!

no1ukn0w
Whats This?

join:2002-01-24
Boerne, TX

reply to mags2

Read my message again.. apparently you have problems reading what other people say. Apparently you only read THE PARTS YOU WANT TO OBJECT TO.. but maybe you will read this, since it was my point (I will put it in bold, maybe that will help you understand my point too).

No religion or belief has ever killed anyone.. the person killed the other.. Religion is a set of words .. words don't kill people.

See it that time? If you are still confused. That is to the response of you saying, religion has killed more people than anything else.

I didn't open myself wide open. As you can see no one else flamed me, you on the other hand are getting flamed up and down.

oh ya, I can reply to what I please, don't tell me what to do, kthx
[text was edited by author 2002-03-22 21:13:20]