share rss forum feed

fredthomsen
Premium
join:2011-03-01
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast

ASUS RT-AC66U failover to usb mobile broadband

Does anyone own this router and if so have you gotten the failover to usb broadband feature working? I am interested in purchasing this router and I am particularly interested in this feature; however, I wanted to hear some feedback from people who have actually used this feature. The list of supported USB modems on ASUS's site seem rather small (»event.asus.com/2009/networks/3gsupport/), and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with other modems or phones not listed, and if this failover feature works as expected? I haven't been able to find any posts online of people using this feature.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I asked ASUS about this and they got back to me rather quickly. There are more modems supported than the list suggests but there are special hidden settings - the dropdown list of supported modems changes depending on your country and provider, but it has one mysterious setting, "auto". ASUS assured me that if your country and provider are on the list, then their current modem is supported in "auto" mode, regardless of if it's on that page or in the rest of the drop-down list.

Personally I don't believe what they indicated 100% but they were very specific about it - my provider only provides one USB modem, it was not on the drop-down list but ASUS assured me it would work in "auto" mode. I don't have any choice, I can't get a stick on their drop-down list so I just have to trust it will work.

I didn't end up getting a stick so I never actually tried it out.

I suggest you post your country and provider and someone with an AC66U can post whether it's on the drop-down list or if there's an "auto" setting appearing for your country/provider.

That person may not be me as I have an N66U, but I believe both routers share firmware features at least with respect to supported modems, so when I'm back home in a few days I'll check.
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

fredthomsen
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast

I ended up buying the router anyway (newegg shipped it superfast on free shipping... less than 24 hour turn around) and I have been playing around with it. Hooked up my galaxy nexus with usb teethering and it detected it immediately (the usb modem setting was on auto by default). Then, I disconnected the cable modem and saw it switch to the cell connection, so that part worked beautifully. However, upon reconnecting the cable modem to the router, the router failed to switch bad to the WAN connection, which I feel defeats the purpose of this feature. Have you seen the same result? The version checker on the interface tells me I have the latest firmware.

Fraoch

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by fredthomsen:

Hooked up my galaxy nexus with usb teethering and it detected it immediately (the usb modem setting was on auto by default). Then, I disconnected the cable modem and saw it switch to the cell connection, so that part worked beautifully. However, upon reconnecting the cable modem to the router, the router failed to switch bad to the WAN connection, which I feel defeats the purpose of this feature. Have you seen the same result? The version checker on the interface tells me I have the latest firmware.

As I said, I never ended up getting a USB modem, but your post got me thinking - I'll try it out with my BlackBerry 9810. I'll see what it does.

Did you set your country and provider first or just plug it in?

I'll be back home in a few days to check it out.
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

fredthomsen
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Comcast

All I did was plug it in and it was automatically detected, with everything on the default (usb adapter: auto, usb modem: WCDMA). Should mention I have the GSM version of the galaxy nexus running on tmobile fyi.

I am running the latest beta firmware now (3.0.0.4.354) which seems to not play nice with this feature as in now it doesn't really work, where as before it was kind of working.

Let me know your results.

fredthomsen
Premium

I was also wondering, do they have an issue tracker that you are aware of?

Fraoch

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to fredthomsen

I tried using my BlackBerry 9810 as a USB modem. It didn't work at all even though the router detected it as a "RIM composite device" and thought it was a 3G modem. Internet access with the WAN cable disconnected didn't work at all though, I suspect it has to go through its PC software.

I have never seen an issue tracker, ASUS probably wants you to go through their support.

I would suggest you post this in the smallnetbuilder.com forums, much higher traffic there especially with regards to the RT-AC66U.
--