how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

Can L Ron Hubbard now try to shut down DSLreports

technically i guess the "church" of scientology could now come along and try to shut down dslreports because of this thread?

mags2
Agent Provocateur

join:2001-07-19
SoCal

technically i guess the "church" of scientology could now come along and try to shut down dslreports because of this thread?

No, actually what will happen is that some overzealous DSLR moderator will arbitrarily decide to lock the thread and then cite that too many people are expressing too strong of an opinion for this forum or some such lame excuse. Censorship 101 in action per the usual. That is the way it usually goes on this site. Or is that just my observation?

[text was edited by author 2002-03-22 11:30:57]

nc1165

join:2001-04-10
Delray Beach, FL

Observations are still free. Opinions cost extra.

Traal

join:2000-10-19
La Jolla, CA
reply to mags2

said by mags2:
...too many people are expressing too strong of an opinion for this forum...
Or asserting opinions as facts.
--
/* The green code always compiles. */

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to mags2

said by mags2:
No, actually what will happen is that some overzealous DSLR moderator will arbitrarily decide to lock the thread and then cite that too many people are expressing too strong of an opinion for this forum or some such lame excuse. Censorship 101 in action per the usual. That is the way it usually goes on this site. Or is that just my observation?
Good joke!
--
they fight crime

deltat2000
Timor Omnis Abesto
Premium
join:2000-04-13
reply to mags2

Perhaps its not an observation, but an opinion.

And as my spiritual advisor says " Opinions are like *ssholes....everyone has one"
--
The Future Is Purchased By The Present!

mags2
Agent Provocateur

SoCal

Do Cojones Cost Extra?

said by deltat2000:
Perhaps its not an observation, but an opinion.

And as my spiritual advisor says " Opinions are like *ssholes....everyone has one"

Hey delta, don't sugarcoat it like that--why don't you tell me how you really feel?
--
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty. -T.Jefferson

deltat2000
Timor Omnis Abesto
Premium

I just did..........rotflmao

deltat2000
Timor Omnis Abesto
Premium

But then thats just my opinion!

And we all know what their worth......lol, opinions that is!
--
The Future Is Purchased By The Present!

SAM Hunter$

join:2001-05-11
USA
reply to bgraham

Re: Can L Ron Hubbard now try to shut down DSLreports

Since the man is dead it would certainly give a political power boost to Scientology and its views. Wouldn't exactly hurt his book sales either.

g0nepostal
I Am The One Her Mom Warned Her About

join:2001-03-23
Burlingame, CA

reply to bgraham

Just one little problem....

...L. Ron Hubbard has been dead since 1986.

No, wait, he didn't die! He just proceeded (according to Scientology) to the "next level of research"! He will come back to preside over the "flock" when Xenu comes back to lord over the Earth!

Time Magazine did an excellent article on Scientology in their May 6, 1991 issue. It and other information are on the website the Church of Scientology attempted to have blocked.

I have read through many of the posts for this particular news item. I find it interesting that so far many of them have focused on the religious aspects of this whole situation, and not on the act itself: The attempt to censor a website that the Church of Scientology finds threatening because of its extremely strident criticism of its "belief system" and also because of the website's chronicle of the Church's heavy-handed attempts at reining in all forms of criticism.

Scientologists aren't the only ones who have attempted to censor material posted on the Web for all to read. Look at how much gruff James Engelhof got from AOL when he first went public with his "Why America Online Sucks" website. AOL tried to sue him for copyright infringement, but he (at he time) was shielded by the doctrine of fair use. Fair use doctrine has now been weakened by the DMCA, which I am hoping will someday be struck down by the Supreme Court, much the same way the CDA was.

In yet more attacks on online free speech, corporations are now devoting major resources to ferreting out and silencing their online critics. How many people who post negative comments about businesses online get sued for libel? Again, attempts by organizations to squelch their critics, who in theory should be protected by the First Amendment.

Slowly but surely, all forms of free speech online are being destroyed. The very nature of the Internet - its emphasis on open, unfettered communication - is being eaten away by people and organizations who do not have the backbone to face their critics, who do not have the intellectual ability to rebuff the criticism, and who will attempt to silence their critics in order to shield themselves from the things the criticism fairly points out.

Any organization's attempt to squelch its online critics is nothing more than intellectual dishonesty. Or more simply, outright cowardice.

I don't much care what any person's religious, political, or moral value set may be, however the right of that person to freely say what they think (no matter what the forum or subject) is something that must be protected.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." To that I add this: That public opinion, no matter how expressed, is something that should be regarded as sacred; worthy of protection from those who wish to squelch it; and worthy of defending from cowardly zealots in order to safeguard our freedom.

g0nepostal
[text was edited by author 2002-03-23 00:56:23]

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

said by g0nepostal:

Slowly but surely, all forms of free speech online are being destroyed. The very nature of the Internet - its emphasis on open, unfettered communication - is being eaten away by people and organizations who do not have the backbone to face their critics, who do not have the intellectual ability to rebuff the criticism, and who will attempt to silence their critics in order to shield themselves from the things the criticism fairly points out.

This is why organizations such as EFF (The Electronic
Frontier Foundation) and the ACLU exist. These groups
are fighting to protect 1st Amendment and other
Constitutional rights that major corporations, government,
and groups like Scientology are increasingly infringing
on.
--
"Kayura or Badamon, whichever you are, you should know that I will never give up this battle. By the will of the Ancient, I shall succeed!" - Shuten (Anubis) from the Ronin Warriors.

mags2
Agent Provocateur

SoCal
reply to Traal

Re: Can L Ron Hubbard now try to shut down DSLreports

said by Traal:
Or asserting opinions as facts.
Opinion/Fact. Take it whichever way you like. Your sentiment(s) still won't change what I think or affect my inclination to express it just as mine won't stop yours.
--
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the boisterous sea of liberty. -T.Jefferson

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
join:2001-03-15
hiatus
reply to Doctor Four

Re: Just one little problem....

said by Shuten Doji:

This is why organizations such as EFF (The Electronic
Frontier Foundation) and the ACLU exist. These groups
are fighting to protect 1st Amendment and other
Constitutional rights that major corporations, government,
and groups like Scientology are increasingly infringing
on.

Unfortunately, the ACLU has the stigma of a being a group of quacks to many local, state and federal government leaders... Of course, that might just be the local stigma since everything down south is ultra conservative and somewhat backwards...
--
The war on drugs... A neverending war on freedom.

SAM Hunter$

join:2001-05-11
USA

The ACLU--heh, heh.

Ah, the ACLU. A very powerful special interest group that you can almost always predict what they will do--they will "vote" or pursue the causes and direction of their funding, just like all other special interest political groups. Sometimes they will fool you because an occasional chapter or individual within the organization suddenly will develop a conscience and actually remember what the ACLU claims to stand for and represent and will attempt to live up to those values and standards. Not only live up to them but remember they apply to all the people in this country and not just to those of a specific political or other type of association.

In that regard the ACLU is much like many formal religious groups in that the actions and words of the church's or religions' members are completely contrary to the creed or formal statement of faith of the particular religion or church they claim to adhere to or follow.

[text was edited by author 2002-03-25 22:46:38]