spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brmathews

join:2003-09-04
Pittsburgh, PA

how long should a broken overhead fios cable take to repair?

My phone, internet and tv went out today. I called FIOS and was told it would take until Friday to repair.

I went out for a drive and found 2 blocks away there was a cable which was broken at an intersection, probably an over height truck.

(This is in a suburban neighborhood)

I took a picture of a the cable, called support, told them where it was, provided an address.

Estimated resolution is still Friday.

So is there something magical about the overhead wires? This is an entire sub-division which is out.

Good thing I have my iPad to share internet.

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
kudos:1

2 edits
Re-splicing fiber is not a easy job and cost more money than an install.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to brmathews
said by brmathews:

My phone, internet and tv went out today. I called FIOS and was told it would take until Friday to repair.

I went out for a drive and found 2 blocks away there was a cable which was broken at an intersection, probably an over height truck.

Re-splicing fiber isn't a 5 minute task.. Plus if it's at an intersection it's likely they need to get approval of local officials in that area to bring in their bucket trucks, splicing equipment etc.. to replace the damaged cable. [and possibly interrupt traffic flow in that area while they work]

Xanthos

join:2009-01-05
Falls Church, VA
reply to brmathews
If you have FiOS digital voice for your phone, as part of your bundle, then you will just have to wait until they fix it, or try to escalate it to Verizon's executive offices.

If on the other hand, your phone service is still a regulated offering, ( not FiOS Digital Voice ) something like Freedom Essentials, etc, then contact the SCC ( State Corporation Commission ) in Richmond and file an appeal. Verizon has 24 hours to restore service on a total outage ( No Dial Tone ) on a regulated phone line from the time that it is reported.

JohnGalt21

join:2012-12-14
Ridgefield, NJ
I'd try to get some deal out of this by calling the support.

Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ
reply to brmathews
If they are not busy they may dispatch on your trouble early.
It is possible that the broken cable you saw has nothing to do with your fios service. Feeder cables are usually lashed to existing copper cables or strands so they normally do not get hit by trucks. Posting a picture would be helpful.

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA
reply to brmathews
Actually splicing fiber is very fast and easy. If there is enough slack in the line, a bucket truck and a fusion splicer the whole job should take less than a couple of hours, depending on how many pairs are on that line. At my job, we can do 144 strands of fiber in less than two hours and from the lines I've seen on the poles in my area they don't carry that many strands unless it's the newer ribbon fiber.

nketch22

@verizon.net
144 splices in less that two hours??? I assume that is the time it takes to do the physical connections with the knowledge of knowing which strand goes to which already. I had a project where a contractor accidentally severed 4 or 5 strands and it became an all-day affair to figure out which strands needed to be fused together.

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA
reply to brmathews
As long as it's a reputable brand of fiber, the color code along with the indicators on each bundle will make it easy to determine which strands go with which ones. They come grouped in sets of 12, so there will be 12 bundles, each one color coded blue, orange, green, brown, red, black, yellow, violet, rose & aqua, those 12 fibers will be in a tube each one will be one of color groups, so you would have 12 tubes with 12 fibers in each one following the same basic color code. It's gets a bit more complicated if it's a hybrid with multi-mode and single mode fiber in the same run, but from what I have seen is that Verizon only uses single mode. If they have the right splicer like the one we have at work, you can splice 12 fibers at a time, makes it go really fast. The bad thing or good thing, depending on how you look at it, is that we lose skills, because we don't use it very often.