join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser

Re: Interessting LED info

said by SparkChaser:

said by Anonymous_:

halogen & incandescent bulbs FTW!
I hate HCFL's and LED bulbs since they cause a allergic reaction it causes severe eye irritation and strain after a while of having them on. Yes a actual physical reaction to them.

How about the "long tube" fluorescents?

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though.
30min to a hour.

I know my brothers LCD that has HCFL(Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamps) and I get severe eye irritation and strain in less then 5 min.

(CCFL)Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps are not as bad (depending on the quality)

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by Anonymous_:

said by SparkChaser:

said by Anonymous_:

halogen & incandescent bulbs FTW!
I hate HCFL's and LED bulbs since they cause a allergic reaction it causes severe eye irritation and strain after a while of having them on. Yes a actual physical reaction to them.

How about the "long tube" fluorescents?

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though.
30min to a hour.

I know my brothers LCD that has HCFL(Hot Cathode Fluorescent Lamps) and I get severe eye irritation and strain in less then 5 min.

Also the refresh rate adds to the eye sensitivity. A 60 hertz refresh rate on a LCD drives me crazy but at 75 it doesn't.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

"long tube" have the same effect takes a little longer though. 30min to a hour.

That is interesting. Long tubes with the magnetic ballast have a frequency of 120Hz. Electronics ballast and cfl, led in the +20KHz. So, a large difference. I wonder if it's related to wavelength.

I did a quick Google for some information but found no definitive answer.

Just curious

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
LOL! I hate the Cadillac LED tail lites. Move your head quickly or eyes, and you see the refresh. Apparently, ONLY with GM cars...

Oh, and lets not forget the cop cars with the new LED Lighthouses on their roofs... Yes, can see for over a mile, yet, at night, when approached, no wonder people get night blinded! I don't ever recall cop lights being so bright!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Also the refresh rate adds to the eye sensitivity. A 60 hertz refresh rate on a LCD drives me crazy but at 75 it doesn't.

That makes no sense. The LCD doesn't refresh like a CRT, the backlight is basically "ON" at all times. 10Hz or 200Hz refresh on a LCD will make no difference if the image is static.