uniqs
« UsenetstormIRC client »
This is a sub-selection from Downloaded amount
jlo14566
join:2013-03-07

jlo14566 to hitachi369

to hitachi369

Re: Downloaded amount

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets. Lately I'm tiring of the work and thinking maybe large external storage drives may be easier. What's cheaper tho?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Do what everyone else does and just set up a media center. Serve your media up via IP rather than DVD.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to jlo14566

Premium Member

to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets. Lately I'm tiring of the work and thinking maybe large external storage drives may be easier. What's cheaper tho?

I download what I plan on watching and delete what I am done with. The only exception to this is if I feel the original content will be hard to locate again, I will then archive those files. All of this is just kept digitally on my hard drive and streamed throughout the house.

I have allocated 3 TB for archive 1 TB for movies and 1.5TB for TV media. If I fall behind that I know I am downloading more than I am going to ever reasonably watch and will start purging data.

I also do a lot of web streaming via Crunchyroll for my nerd shows in 1080p, however this is a relatively small portion of the data downloaded.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

1 edit

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG to jlo14566

Premium Member

to jlo14566
damn bro get yourself two 3TB internal drives or external and throw all those damn discs away.

Back in the day I download whole dvd's as I did not download much and did not care about getting HD stuff and that's how anime was uploaded to usenet as the whole ISO then turned them to dvd. I also did not have a media PC back then and played the stuff in a dvd player. Now I know WTF I'm doing and download HD stuff and use a HTPC. I do download a whole BRrip sometimes but that is rare but again just play those as an ISO.

This thread maybe of use to you. maybe we should make a media player thread on this forum as you need something to play all this stuff we talk about downloading.

»A good media player to replace boxee box

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady to jlo14566

to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I used to burn it all to DVD also, but I just have way too much stuff. I have been considering a blu-ray burner though.

Right now I use several external Thermaltake BlacX docks and 2TB hard drives. I've got about 6 so far. I stay with 2TB because the docks I have only work with drives up to that size. So it's good enough for now, even if it isn't the most convenient way to archive.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to jlo14566

Premium Member

to jlo14566
I invested in a WHS v1 system a few years ago where 90% of my local media is stored (music, pictures, and videos). Between that and Plex Media Server installed on a computer that transcodes well (only when necessary however), every box (including PS3, Rokus, iOS devices) has access to all that content, at home and remotely.
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to jlo14566

to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets.

Burning sucks.. I burned maybe 1000-2000 cd's/dvd's myself.. the irony is that was mainly in 2004-2008 or something.. I think it's kind of stupid to burn movies cause..

You download the divx version.. (a burn to cd-r) and then you get the DVD version (another burn) and finally you have to get the 720/1080p version.. (another) ahh.. I give up lol

I have about 10-13 tb of storage right now.. it seems "good enough"
76131049 (banned)
join:2013-05-04

76131049 (banned) to jlo14566

to jlo14566

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

A better question is why?