share rss forum feed

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Cisco DPC3008

The Cisco DPC3008 is now a supported DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem in our Cogeco serving areas.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
said by rocca:

The Cisco DPC3008 is now a supported DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem in our Cogeco serving areas.

Rocca will we see the DPC3000 or the 3008 eventually being supported for Rogers territories for TPIA's ?

I know that Rogers still supports and provisions them for Rogers customers but I haven't seen any support for provisioning them on a TPIA.

I've encountered these modems before and they have a very friendly user interface and a wide selection of menus and options.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
It's certainly possible, but I'm not aware of any eminent plans to do so.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rocca
Ahh you almost had me excited there until I saw Cogeco at the end of the sentence. Boo!

CRTC released some questions to be answered regarding modem certifications. Basically, DOCSIS 3.0 is so mature now that IISPs should not be required to do 2nd level certification when the modem is already D3 certified by CableLabs.

Was posted here: »Re: CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca

And the OLD thread about Cogeco Network's Supported Modems is here :

»Cogeco Area Modem List

The thread is too old to be bumped.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
Click for full size

And above is the newly revised modem list for Cogeco-Land, from the START website order form page.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

CRTC released some questions to be answered regarding modem certifications. Basically, DOCSIS 3.0 is so mature now that IISPs should not be required to do 2nd level certification when the modem is already D3 certified by CableLabs.

Those questions were as a direct result of our CNOC filing to the CRTC, whom have been taking our submissions very seriously it seems. In short, hang tight, we're working on more options for customers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

And above is the newly revised modem list for Cogeco-Land, from the START website order form page.

Thanks Dave. We also have this published at »www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems (just realized I never posted that when we put it up)

Nortron

join:2013-03-20
Cornwall, ON
So quality wise, are these modem's equal or better then the DCM-476?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
The DCM476 diagnostic page shows a lot more info than the DPC3008, as Cogeco locks it down on the Cisco modems.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Gone:

The DCM476 diagnostic page shows a lot more info than the DPC3008, as Cogeco locks it down on the Cisco modems.

I'm still at a loss why the TPIA ISP's haven't complained about this. It's an aid in troubleshooting, since they don't have access to remote signal stat viewing like the incumbents.
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Have to pick your battles. Not going to win one where you say that the firmware that retail is using isn't sufficient for wholesale. Thankfully Cogeco is much easier to work with on trouble-shooting than Rogers and we'll continue to push for better tools on the wholesale side as they benefit everyone, ie the customer, the wholesale provider and the incumbent network all have a better experience if those types of details could be managed real-time. We have to remember that for years we didn't have any of that on the Bell side either but over time tools end up being developed.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
It isn't firmware... its the config file that the modem fetches every time it connects. Its probably a simple "signal_stats=0" vs "signal_stats=1" type of config change.

Every modem has this built in.

Rogers used to block it. But for many years now they don't both on their retail side and wholesale.
--

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to rocca
is there a fee to change from a DPC3000 to a DPC3008

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
We don't carry any of the 3008's.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

2 edits
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Always nice to see a modem added

What's the state of Cogeco firmware upgrades? Specifically, are the DPC3000's still getting a firmware push, and will the DPC3008?
(ya, maybe the easiest way to find out is just to try... )

Edit: And it looks like these are Broadcom based modems, unlike the DPC3000 which is Puma5. In fact, looks like the DPC3008 is comparable to the DCM476 where the DPC3010 is comparable to the DCM475:
»sb6141, sb6180, zoom5341, dpc3010
--
electronicsguru.ca

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Thanks Dave. We also have this published at »www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems (just realized I never posted that when we put it up)

Interesting

I had not noticed that page befive. [Victor Borge]

Is it linked from elsewhere on the START site ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
It's on the highspeed services page.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by rocca:

It's on the highspeed services page.

S
C
R
O
L
L
!
!
!

Yes, I see it now (and I still have a 4x3 screen).

An idea : Maybe add a dupe link for that page into the 'Quick Links' area ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
I've added it to the right under 'Related information'.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by rocca:

I've added it to the right under 'Related Information'.

TWO-derful !

Chalk up another small victory in the good fight of 'Webmasters vs Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'.

Thanks !

[Dave wishes that it would be THIS easy to get another IISP to stop incorrectly referring to our monthly usage as 'bandwidth' on their website and elsewhere.]

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

BTW, to make the list complete, we should acknowledge that Cogeco also supports a few models of ARRIS brand modem - at least one D2 and another D3.

These are for Cogeco's 'Digital Phone' customers, and contain both Internet and Phone components, and a battery to backup the Phone part for a few hours.

I remember as well a neighbour who had a D2 Thomson model with Phone stuff in it. - They gave him that when he just took Phone and TV, but no Internet.

I do not recall the exact model numbers of any of these, but they are posted somewhere in the DSLR Cogeco forum, IIRC.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

ARRIS Modem Model Numbers

Here some are : »Supported (DOCSIS3) modems for Cogeco HSI service...

I had already bookmarked it.