spc
Search similar:

uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

business 50 vs bb100

on the 9th my promotion expires, trying to choose whether i want to simply upgrade to bb100 (probly easier) to keep my line exactly how it is but bump the speeds up, i dont mind this idea, tho im bugged by the fact im upgrading purely for upload, 100/5 (85$/month) would be what i get, on the business 50 i would get 50/5(80$month for first 12), a few more ports opened and a static ip, if the business 50 is really simply and my modem can just be provisioned for it and its not a complicated switch that would be awesome and i will probly do that, if its not simple and i gotta change modems ect or w/e. then how easy will it be to switch back to the 50, besides the static ip, what are the pros and cons of the business vs personal, thanks in advance

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Do it, or don't. Sounds like you're trying to milk the promotions. Seriously.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

sorry to say but ur post makes no sense, im doing something no matter what, just dont know what to do, so saying do it or don't makes no sense, im trying to decide what to do, not weather or not to

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
duplicate post, delete me

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
My post makes perfect sense. You're trying to game the system, IMO. The 50/5 or makes no difference for upload speeds, just downloads.

It's only $5 dude. Make your choice. Oh wait! Til the promo ends, right?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
You'll keep the same modem

Pros/Cons

Faster tech support
Static IP with reverse DNS - all ports unblocked
Basic TV service is included with Business 50 - this is the biggest pro if you have residental TV
2nd modem with the same speeds for $10/month extra

Cons
If you don't want/need the TV service, it is probably more money
Going up from Business 50 to 100 is a stupidly high price jump
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

that actually sounds pretty good, 2 questions just to be clear, can they upgrade me over the phone, and u say static ip with reverse dns, what does reverse dns mean, second modem with same speeds for only 10 sounds pretty good!

and 1 more thing, with my current plan, it sais 2 dynamic ip's included, could i use this in anyway to port forward 2 xbox's on the same connection ( i could understand if i needed another router), since you can only forward the ports once on an ip i cant port forward 2 xbox's but i want to be able too

thanks for the awesome reply kevinds

18286719 (banned) to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
im not trying to milk promotions lmfao, im trying to get what is best for my money, would u not? or do u just got cash to throw around, lol, ps why would i keep paying 75 a month for 50/3 when i could get 50/5 for 5 more or 100/5 for 10 more? considering i have wanted more upload forever its worth it to me.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to 18286719

Premium Member

to 18286719
You would need two routers connected to your modem, but with UPnP, it shouldn't be a problem just connecting two Xboxes to the router, with your modem bridged, if you connect the Xbox to your modem directly, it can just pull a non-NAT'd IP too.

Business techs are much more lienient about adding free IPs too, could probably get 4 dynamic IPs, depending on who is working when you ask

If you don't know what reverse DNS is, don't worry about it, or Google it...

Can they do it over the phone, yes, unless you don't have TV service now.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

adding free ips? what does that mean, as static is one of my worries as if i were to get hit offline it will be a bit anoying, and what, and if the xbox were connected to an non-NAT'd IP i think i would get a moderade or strict nat

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If you want more than the one or two included IPs, residental accounts they are $9.95 each

non-NAT'd IP (Xbox gets a Shaw IP address not 192.168.x.x) would be no NAT at all, so should be wide-open NAT...
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

umm, im 99% im only getting 1 of my 2 ip's, i wouldnt want more then 2 so i dont know why i would get that, but if i did have the 2 included ip's active , how would it work, 2 dif modems, and 2 dif routers? 1 modem 2 routers? same setup i have no with 1 modem 1 router? also my shaw adress is 174.7.x.x not 192.168.x.x, 192.168.0.1 is my router, and 192.168.0.101-110 are my devices

also i dont have the tv service now so what would have to be done to give me the business 50

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If you have the SMC or Cisco modem, to use multiple IPs, you have to have your modem bridged, the ethernet ports will give out different public IPs, 147.7.x.x (or whatever it gets) to the different ports

You use your own router for one IP, and another router for the 2nd, or your Xbox directly to the modem to use the 2nd IP, or whatever device you want.

If you don't have TV service now, if you upgrade to Business 50, a tech visit would come and hookup TV service, or if you don't use the TV service, nothing, you just get upgraded, but no discount for not using it.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

damn that sounds pretty good, i have the cisco dpc 3825, are you sure it can be setup to do this through bridge, and will it be plug and play, like if i plug in a cat 6 to the second port of the cisco and the other end to the xbox while leaving it plugged in and connected to the router its already connected to, should it just work or do i need to call them.

also with 2 ip's how will my bandwidth be divided? 50 to each ip? 25 to each ip? or the full 50 available to wichever ip demands it

thanks again so much for the help bro

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

As long as you have enough IPs available, your limit now could be 1, that is how it will work.

Bridge mode turns the modem/router into just a modem, it passes the internet directly to the ethernet ports without modifying it.

I've got several IPs on my Cisco modems, I have all 4 ports used, one port going to a switch and access point for more than 4 (and wireless).

The modem still has 50, that is the limit it is set to, so the usage of all your IPs will not exceed 50 mbps combined.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

2 edits

18286719 (banned)

so since 2 ip's are included with my service i have that right

and if someone tried to hit one of the ip's would the other one still work or would it be the entire modem getting hit

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Depends on the type/method of attack used, if you also get the 2nd modem, if you put your Xbox on one modem, it would be completely 100% seperate service than your primary modem

The 2nd modem would not be bridged, and normally just one IP.

The other advantage to business connections is the shaping Shaw sometimes does, there is no shaping applied to business modems
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

shaping? does that mean i would get anymore download then what i get now isnt shaping like, powerboost? or something causing me to get less download, i almost always get my full 48.5 down, even tho its suppose to be 50, so retarted thats what it ends up being, when comcast customers getting 50 down get like 60 on there tests

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

No, in busy areas, Shaw slows down certain types of traffic, business modems aren't slowed down further than the congestion
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

2 edits

18286719 (banned)

well, plugging in my xbox directly to the modem isnt working, its getting a new ip, its getting the dns numbers, but wont connect and saying there could be an ip conflict

on the phone with shaw and they are so dumb, 1 girl told me to restart my xbox and i told her it was pointless so she got all mad and said i wasnt listening then hung up, now im on the phone waiting on hold for the second time

kevinds the shaw employee is saying ur wrong and saying when its put in bridge only 1/4 ports are active, he will not budge, how sure are you that this works on the residential plans rather then just the business plans

nvm its working, why are shaw employee's so bad

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

haha I know.

Nobody knows where the only Port 1 works started from, but yeah, its not true, they all do, as long as your modem has enough IPs to give out.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

ok so i talked to the business people today, when inquiring about the ip they said i would get 1 static and 1 dynamic ip, so i would be able to keep my same setup, i think it would be good idea to hook my router upto the static and have the dynamic directly wired to my xbox so i can change my mac in the case of getting hit off, would this work or will it be complicated to get static and dynamic working on same router

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Very very few routers can do multiple external IPs.

Changing the MAC of your Xbox, reboot the modem and xbox, and have a new IP...

As I said, business tech support is usually pretty good at adding free dynamic IPs to modems as well, which would skip the modem reboot, or if you need other non-NAT'd devices
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i dont get what subject ur talking about when u mention very few routers can do external ip's like what does that have to do with the subject? im probly just misunderstanding something

as for changing the mac, i wouldn't be able to do that to change ip of a static ip would i, and if i did the business tech told me today my account would be frozen if my static ip changed

on the note of adding free dynamic ip's are you sure this would be possible, if i could get 1 static and 2 dynamic for free that would be amazing, but the guy on the phone today spoke nothing of it

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I've never had an issue getting extra dynamics added from tech support

You said this
"or will it be complicated to get static and dynamic working on same router"
This is not possible on all but very few routers.

Static IPs are static, and don't change, and no, changing your MAC address will not change a static IP. Changing your MAC address only affects the dynamic IP assigned.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

oooooook i get it, so i could get extra dynamics added if i opted to be on only dynamic rather then just static (i thought i could do both together but i guess not), so when u said they would add extra dynamics for free u were assuming i would have no static, i get it

is the only advantage to static being able to know your ip to tell people and know it wont change, im assuming this would be important for business's, and assuming that's the case, id be fine with just dynamic ip,

so just to be clear(yes or no answer plz), i should be able to get 4 dynamic ip's at no extra charge ontop of the 105$(85$ on promotion) for the business 50, cause id only need 3, but that would be awesome!

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

so just to be clear(yes or no answer plz), i should be able to get 4 dynamic ip's at no extra charge ontop of the 105$(85$ on promotion) for the business 50, cause id only need 3, but that would be awesome!

Sorry, just a maybe, depends on who answered the phone...

You can use your static (it counts as one IP) on one device and dynamic IPs on 1, 2, or 3 other devices (or whatever limit your modem is set for). However, most routers, can't be setup with multiple IP address, as seperate devices using the different ports on the modem, no problem.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

ok, i understand but im very confused maybe im just not clear in my questions

can i have 1 static+3dynamic on my dpc 3825, or will i have to have 1 static + pay for more static

or just go the dynamic route and hopefully get 3 or 4 at no extra cost

i have the dpc 3825 im using it as a modem (bridge mode) not a router, this shouldn't have anything to do with routers, im not trying to set up my router with multiple ip address's, i want to know if MY CISCO DPC 3825 can be giving a static ip through one cat 6 and a dynamic through the other, simple as that, im aksing because if this were the case i would use the static for my home network/ dir 655 , and i would use 2 dynamic ip's for each xbox. this would garauntee unconflicting(not fighting over ports) un-NAT'd ip's for each xbox, best connection possible in my min

also shaw only charges for the static ip's right? they dont have a charge for extra dynamic? even tho they dont say its free, if they dont have a default price, you would assume its free

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

can i have 1 static+3dynamic on my dpc 3825

Yes, as long as your modem has enough IPs to allow it

There is a charge for extra dynamic IPs, there is a charge for extra static IPs (as far as I know, it is the same price), there is also a billing code for free extra IPs

i want to know if MY CISCO DPC 3825 can be giving a static ip through one cat 6 and a dynamic through the other

Yes
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

yay ur the best kevinds, will update when i get this upgrade done