join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 18286719

Re: business 50 vs bb100

haha I know.

Nobody knows where the only Port 1 works started from, but yeah, its not true, they all do, as long as your modem has enough IPs to give out.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

ok so i talked to the business people today, when inquiring about the ip they said i would get 1 static and 1 dynamic ip, so i would be able to keep my same setup, i think it would be good idea to hook my router upto the static and have the dynamic directly wired to my xbox so i can change my mac in the case of getting hit off, would this work or will it be complicated to get static and dynamic working on same router

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Very very few routers can do multiple external IPs.

Changing the MAC of your Xbox, reboot the modem and xbox, and have a new IP...

As I said, business tech support is usually pretty good at adding free dynamic IPs to modems as well, which would skip the modem reboot, or if you need other non-NAT'd devices
--

Whistler, BC

i dont get what subject ur talking about when u mention very few routers can do external ip's like what does that have to do with the subject? im probly just misunderstanding something

as for changing the mac, i wouldn't be able to do that to change ip of a static ip would i, and if i did the business tech told me today my account would be frozen if my static ip changed

on the note of adding free dynamic ip's are you sure this would be possible, if i could get 1 static and 2 dynamic for free that would be amazing, but the guy on the phone today spoke nothing of it

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I've never had an issue getting extra dynamics added from tech support

You said this
"or will it be complicated to get static and dynamic working on same router"
This is not possible on all but very few routers.

Static IPs are static, and don't change, and no, changing your MAC address will not change a static IP. Changing your MAC address only affects the dynamic IP assigned.
--

Whistler, BC

oooooook i get it, so i could get extra dynamics added if i opted to be on only dynamic rather then just static (i thought i could do both together but i guess not), so when u said they would add extra dynamics for free u were assuming i would have no static, i get it

is the only advantage to static being able to know your ip to tell people and know it wont change, im assuming this would be important for business's, and assuming that's the case, id be fine with just dynamic ip,

so just to be clear(yes or no answer plz), i should be able to get 4 dynamic ip's at no extra charge ontop of the 105$(85$ on promotion) for the business 50, cause id only need 3, but that would be awesome!

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

so just to be clear(yes or no answer plz), i should be able to get 4 dynamic ip's at no extra charge ontop of the 105$(85$ on promotion) for the business 50, cause id only need 3, but that would be awesome!

Sorry, just a maybe, depends on who answered the phone...

You can use your static (it counts as one IP) on one device and dynamic IPs on 1, 2, or 3 other devices (or whatever limit your modem is set for). However, most routers, can't be setup with multiple IP address, as seperate devices using the different ports on the modem, no problem.
--

Whistler, BC

ok, i understand but im very confused maybe im just not clear in my questions

can i have 1 static+3dynamic on my dpc 3825, or will i have to have 1 static + pay for more static

or just go the dynamic route and hopefully get 3 or 4 at no extra cost

i have the dpc 3825 im using it as a modem (bridge mode) not a router, this shouldn't have anything to do with routers, im not trying to set up my router with multiple ip address's, i want to know if MY CISCO DPC 3825 can be giving a static ip through one cat 6 and a dynamic through the other, simple as that, im aksing because if this were the case i would use the static for my home network/ dir 655 , and i would use 2 dynamic ip's for each xbox. this would garauntee unconflicting(not fighting over ports) un-NAT'd ip's for each xbox, best connection possible in my min

also shaw only charges for the static ip's right? they dont have a charge for extra dynamic? even tho they dont say its free, if they dont have a default price, you would assume its free

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

can i have 1 static+3dynamic on my dpc 3825

Yes, as long as your modem has enough IPs to allow it

There is a charge for extra dynamic IPs, there is a charge for extra static IPs (as far as I know, it is the same price), there is also a billing code for free extra IPs

i want to know if MY CISCO DPC 3825 can be giving a static ip through one cat 6 and a dynamic through the other

Yes

--

Whistler, BC

yay ur the best kevinds, will update when i get this upgrade done

Whistler, BC

well shaw wont give me business promotion so i switched to bb100 and canceled (only switched because i have to wait 30 days to cancel)

here are my results on the bb100, »speedtest.net/result/2696078483.png