how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

footy_craze

join:2013-05-02
Mississauga, ON

Sagem F@st 2864 - Forcing Users to Use Specific DNS

I am using opendns servers. However, these servers are really easy to bypass by simply entering in a new DNS server in the internet settings. I need help to force all changes made to the DNS servers by forcing users to use the opendns servers.

This is what I need just to clarify "To block non-OpenDNS servers, you need to look into the features your router provides to control the services that users can use on the network. Many routers have a Blocked Services, Access Control, or Port Filtering feature that lets you block outgoing access to certain ports of a set of IP addresses. This is what you need. Your underlying objective is to block users from being able to access Port 53 of any IP address, except the IP addresses of the OpenDNS ".

This short article talks about it, »www.quepublishing.com/articles/a···seqNum=4 and the image posted on this page is very similiar to the port forwarding option on mr router settings.

anoderrouter

@bellmobilite.ca
To make it easier, use an external router behind the Sagemcom: setup the external router in DHCP mode (instead of PPPoE) and configure it to be in the Sagemcom's DMZ.

Port forwarding is not what you are looking for, you need more advanced firewall rules.

Linksys or D-Link routers will have the feature you are looking for, but unfortunately out of the box I believe the Sagemcom does not.

t0xicCode

join:2008-12-27
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by anoderrouter :

To make it easier, use an external router behind the Sagemcom: setup the external router in DHCP mode (instead of PPPoE) and configure it to be in the Sagemcom's DMZ.

Why not setup the external router to do the PPPoE and have the sagemcom as a dumb modem?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
The sagemcom is not a dumb modem unfortunately, and has several issues when using it with 3rd party routers.

It has no true bridge mode, it has a rather crippled pppoe passthru mode.
--

footy_craze

join:2013-05-02
Mississauga, ON
reply to footy_craze
ok thanks for the input, appreciate it

sunday8pm

join:2010-05-24
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to HiVolt
True, but DMZing the router and have an intelligent router like a Tomato/OpenWRT do the DHCP + DNS magic and interception should work I reckon?
The only caveat would be if users run an ethernet cable directly to the sagemcom and don't use DHCP but I guess this is an improbable scenario for your situation?