spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

[HD] Which HD should be added by Comcast

I know Comcast has to address franchises within serviced markets. But there is probably a slate of channels, in high definition, available in all its markets. USA Network HD, MTV HD, and TBS HD, to name three.

Perhaps Comcast tends to have all its owned or partially owned programming's HD on Comcast cable systems. (I don't know.)

There are some other channels, not owned partially or entirely by Comcast, which should probably be available on every system.

Examples:
beIn Sport HD
C-Span HD
C-Span 2 HD
C-Span 3 HD
Disney Junior HD
Fuse HD
MTV2 HD
Nat Geo Wild HD
TV Land HD
…And all screens of premium movie channels in HD

Maybe that list has flaws based on some with which people disagree. If not just from any number of those six, are there others? Is Comcast behind? For example, in my area, Comcast should, but do not, have beIn Sport and TV Land in high definition. (That's just to name two from that list.)
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Comcast's biggest hole is in premium HD offerings, which is something they've forced on their customers, which is woeful. It just redirects premium subscribers (more profitable customers) to give their money to DirecTV or FiOS. They also carry no more than Game 1-2 HD and Team 1 HD in any market, and in some markets, don't even have that.

C-SPAN HD is carried in many markets now, and C-SPAN 2 HD is carried in a few. Fuse HD is carried in all World of More markets, and NatGeo Wild HD is carried in almost all of them now.

The following channels Comcast does not carry in any market: beIn Sports HD, BBC World News HD, C-SPAN 3 HD, Disney Jr. HD, ESPN Deportes HD, ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD, Military Channel HD, MTV2 HD, OWN HD, ShopNBC HD, Sundance HD, TV Land HD. There's some other things I could mention, but they're not frequently carried by Comcast or are inconsequential and not frequently carried by any other provider.

I don't know what Comcast's plans are regarding Fox Movie Channel HD and Fuel (Fox Sports 2) HD, which legacy Comcast markets don't carry. Adelphia markets carry both, TCI and MediaOne markets tend to have Fox Movie Channel, but not Fuel.

But if it were me, my first goal would be to start adding premium channels back. I don't think any digital market should have less than 20. Most of the Southern markets have 13/14 now, Michigan, Indiana and some Massachusetts lineups lead the way. None have more than 25 now, and that's in Boston.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to LoveHD

to LoveHD
we still need hdnet and hdnet movies or whatever they are called now.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to LoveHD

to LoveHD
Chicago Market

CLTV HD or at least end the CLTV / CSN + shearing (people can miss CSN + HD) when they hear game is on CLTV but there is no CLTV HD so you can miss CSN + HD.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to LoveHD

to LoveHD
tv land in HD?

seems like a waste of 3mhz if you ask me.

asom
@everestkc.net

asom to LoveHD

Anon

to LoveHD
3net
hsn2
ABC News Now
BlueHighways TV
Longhorn
SEC next Year
Utilisima
Youtoo TV
WealthTV
Chiller
Cloo
Os
US

1 recommendation

Os

HSN2, ABC News Now, Utilisima, Youtoo, Chiller and Cloo are not available in HD.

js3353
@comcast.net

js3353

Anon

WGN America HD

asom
@everestkc.net

asom to Os

Anon

to Os
But they need to add them in SD.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

Would like to see more of the "Encore" channels in HD.

bubba555
@comcast.net

bubba555 to asom

Anon

to asom
Fox Soccer HD, we don't have in in Comcast NW NJ
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to gar187er

to gar187er
why? You know most of the old shows where filmed on film and easily converted to HD due to the fact the old film was by todays standards "HD" or close to it... reprocess that old film into HD and TV land can be old shows in HD!

They already did this to some popular shows like Friends that was actually filmed on film, that 70's show was on film and converted... over time most of these older shows will show up in HD

gwilliam
join:2010-03-20

gwilliam

I would rather see more premium HD movie channels added first.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to neufuse

to neufuse
said by gar187er:

tv land in HD?

said by neufuse:

why? You know most of the old shows where filmed on film and easily converted to HD due to the fact the old film was by todays standards "HD" or close to it... reprocess that old film into HD and TV land can be old shows in HD!

You guys realize that more & more of TV Land's shows, are now original shows (actually) shot in HD...makes sense to me to have it in HD.
DirecTV just added it a couple months ago...
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

I thank people for their input. : )

I also find, with someone having mentioned HDNet Movies, that it is weird that Comcast doesn't carry that or Sony Movie Channel. They are HD-Only programmers and, for movielovers, they're a great alternative to AMC, Fox Movie Channel, and Turner Classic Movies.

dishrich mentioning his understanding of TV Land HD with its growth in originally-produced series (Happily Divorced, Hot in Cleveland). Yes, it is partly why I listed it. Add to that any specials and past series (Everybody Loves Raymond, The King of Queens, The 70's Show) which are shown in linear high definition. TV Land HD is now being carried by both AT&T U-verse and DirecTV. Bright House Networks has it. I wouldn't be surprised if Time-Warner Cable also carries in its lineup TV Land HD.

My thinking is that Comcast, given its No. 1 status (for leading the industry with cable subscribers), has the means to lead the way with the most up-to-date and absolute best high-definition channel lineup. It would have to be willing to do that.
macnbc
join:2009-01-12
Arlington, VA

macnbc to LoveHD

to LoveHD
I wish they would add the whole slate of HBO channels in HD. We only get the main network in HD in the DC market, but I know HBO simulcasts HBO2, HBO Family, HBO Signature, etc. in HD as well. If Comcast charges a premium fee for it, best to get it in full HD!
Os
US

Os to LoveHD

to LoveHD
I'll try and address everyone's suggestions:

js3353: WGN America HD is carried in most markets. Sometimes, Tribune will not let it be on systems where they own another affiliate. This is the case in Philadelphia, and while its SD version is available in Western PA, it's not in HD in Pittsburgh. Areas in the far Northeast don't have it either.

I've seen Youtoo on some Comcast lineups, notably areas from Time Warner Cable. Blue Highways TV is carried in Jacksonville (FL) on Comcast systems.

mountlaurel: The only Encore channels currently available in HD are Encore Action and Encore Drama. DirecTV added Encore Action. Very few providers have them. Blue Ridge Communications in PA has them, Mediacom has them in areas they've gone all digital, and that's about it. IndiePlex and RetroPlex HD are becoming more prevalent on Comcast systems, but mostly in the Southeast and far West.

bubba555: You must be on the Northwest/Port Murray system. By my account, that is the only system without the new batch of HD channels in New Jersey.

LoveHD: Some areas in New Jersey from Paragon Cable carry HDNet Movies on channel 896. Those are the only areas that have the channel. Considering the format change and many providers dropping it, I think it's very unlikely to see HDNet Movies on Comcast or see AXS.TV added to Comcast systems that don't have it. For the most part, the areas that have it are the larger metro areas, with the exception of DC and Atlanta.

Time Warner Cable has TV Land HD in most of its territories in California, the Carolinas and the Northeast region now. It's still missing in Texas and the Midwest major clusters. It is becoming more common to find. Charter has it in all markets. Cablevision has it. Even little Antietam Cable in Hagerstown, MD just added it.

macnbc: All HBO and Cinemax premiums are available in HD. All Showtime premiums are with the exception of Showtime Family Zone (which is not carried by Comcast at all in most regions, including Arlington). Comcast has these in some regions, but never in the Mid-Atlantic. In areas with FiOS (who has 41 HD premiums available), this is a major reason to go with Verizon.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to LoveHD

to LoveHD
if axs tv allowed online streaming I'd be happy. They show a lot of country concerts I want to watch BUT Comcast doesn't carry the channel.
macnbc
join:2009-01-12
Arlington, VA

macnbc to Os

to Os
said by Os:

macnbc: All HBO and Cinemax premiums are available in HD. All Showtime premiums are with the exception of Showtime Family Zone (which is not carried by Comcast at all in most regions, including Arlington). Comcast has these in some regions, but never in the Mid-Atlantic. In areas with FiOS (who has 41 HD premiums available), this is a major reason to go with Verizon.

Believe you me if Verizon ever LET me get FIOS I'd be more than happy to jump ship, but despite them being 3 blocks down the street from me they're not planning to add service where I am in the foreseeable future. Regardless, the point of the thread was asking what HD channels Comcast should add, and I definitely think there'd be value in them adding the premiums nationwide, particularly now that they have more bandwidth to play with after eliminating analog.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Os

to Os
said by Os:

I'll try and address everyone's suggestions:

js3353: WGN America HD is carried in most markets. Sometimes, Tribune will not let it be on systems where they own another affiliate. This is the case in Philadelphia, and while its SD version is available in Western PA, it's not in HD in Pittsburgh. Areas in the far Northeast don't have it either.

I've seen Youtoo on some Comcast lineups, notably areas from Time Warner Cable. Blue Highways TV is carried in Jacksonville (FL) on Comcast systems.

mountlaurel: The only Encore channels currently available in HD are Encore Action and Encore Drama. DirecTV added Encore Action. Very few providers have them. Blue Ridge Communications in PA has them, Mediacom has them in areas they've gone all digital, and that's about it. IndiePlex and RetroPlex HD are becoming more prevalent on Comcast systems, but mostly in the Southeast and far West.

bubba555: You must be on the Northwest/Port Murray system. By my account, that is the only system without the new batch of HD channels in New Jersey.

LoveHD: Some areas in New Jersey from Paragon Cable carry HDNet Movies on channel 896. Those are the only areas that have the channel. Considering the format change and many providers dropping it, I think it's very unlikely to see HDNet Movies on Comcast or see AXS.TV added to Comcast systems that don't have it. For the most part, the areas that have it are the larger metro areas, with the exception of DC and Atlanta.

Time Warner Cable has TV Land HD in most of its territories in California, the Carolinas and the Northeast region now. It's still missing in Texas and the Midwest major clusters. It is becoming more common to find. Charter has it in all markets. Cablevision has it. Even little Antietam Cable in Hagerstown, MD just added it.

I am going to shoot down that tribune theory right now as Time Warner Cable has WGN And WGN America HD in Los Angeles and NYC both are cities that have Tribune Stations KTLA and KPIX the only areas that are not allowed to carry WGN America are in Illinois due those systems having to carry WGN-TV 9 Chicago which is basically the same as WGN America except the prime time block is CW programming on WGN-TV. The reason why WGN America is not carried in Philly is likely due to comcast not having a demand for it or it got dropped in the 90s when systems had to make room for all in market locals that demanded carriage the were full power.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

4 edits

dishrich

said by Os:

Sometimes, Tribune will not let it be on systems where they own another affiliate.

Absolutely NOT true - since ALL prog on WGN-A has specifically been tailored to NOT show ANY prog, that would conflict with ANY other local stations prog ("Syndex Exclusivity") there would be NO reason for them to NOT allow it - that is the whole idea of WGN-A. It is actually considered a "basic cable channel", just like USA, TNT, etc. & no longer a "superstation".
said by motorola870:

the only areas that are not allowed to carry WGN America are in Illinois due those systems having to carry WGN-TV 9 Chicago which is basically the same as WGN America except the prime time block is CW programming on WGN-TV.

The ONLY areas in IL that this applies to, are in the Chicago DMA - ALL areas OUTSIDE of it can ONLY carry WGN-A, due to Syndex rules, including in adjacent DMA's. (like Rockford, South Bend, IN, etc.) You do realize that IL has 10 DMA's, including Chicago.

And actually, the differences between the 2 versions are MUCH more than CW prog; pretty much most of the syndicated prog shown on WGN-9, (like Kelly & Michael, Maury, Rachel Ray, etc.) is replaced w/alternate prog on WGN-A, that is NOT subject to Syndex rules.

WGN-A also does NOT show the 5 hour early morning news block, nor the late 5pm news hour. Most late night prog is different between the 2 feeds.
As I stated above - except for some of the local newscasts & baseball games, it is vastly different from it's local Chicago counterpart.

(And FYI, I do have access to the WGN-9 (HD) feed, so I am VERY familiar with BOTH feeds - even though I am outside of it's area... )
Os
US

Os to LoveHD

to LoveHD
There's some inaccuracies that have been introduced here.

1. WGN America SD/HD is carried in some areas of Southern California by Time Warner Cable, but not all. The City system does NOT carry it in any form. More systems do NOT carry it than do.

2. While WGN America is a cable channel now, it was not always considered as such, and was not added in various regions because of the presence of a Tribune affiliate. During the early days of the WB, WGN Superstation did air WB programming, and was used in areas that lacked a WB affiliate. While there's no reason they can't add it today, they never have in certain regions. WGN America was not in NYC until 2011 or so.