uniqs
share rss forum feed

PhilMc

join:2013-04-13
Keller, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Monitor and TV setup help

I have a 27" desktop LED monitor and a 42" LED TV in the same room. Both are connected through HDMI (Nvidia GTX680). Mainly I only want to use the 42" TV for gaming, and right now have the two screens setup to mirror (duplicate).

(stupid) Question: If one of the two screens is powered off, does that remove the load of the 2nd mirrored display from the GPU? It seems easiest to me right now to just mirror the displays and only have turned on the one I'm using.

Audio: I have a big problem here. For the desktop LED Monitor, I'm using the onboard Realtek analog jack to a set of desktop speakers (labeled as 'speakers' in Windows Playback Devices). For the LED TV, I'm using the HDMI digital audio. Right now that HDMI audio is set in Playback Devices (Win7) to be the default audio.

Also, even if the LED TV is powered off, the 'Speakers' are not used. I originally assumed if the TV was powered off, Windows would automatically switch to using 'Speakers' which are enabled and working. But, it doesn't work that way - Windows only seems to use the HDMI to the TV not matter what.

I'd love either both the 'Speakers' (Realtek andalog) and the TV HDMI to be working at the same time or perhaps there's some easy way to flip back and forth. The only thing I can see to do now is to open playback devices and change the default (which is a pain and for some reason when I make the HDMI not default and try to set it back as the default, it's touchy and takes a little bit to start working right).

Thanks for any advice.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by PhilMc:

I'd love either both the 'Speakers' (Realtek andalog) and the TV HDMI to be working at the same time or perhaps there's some easy way to flip back and forth. The only thing I can see to do now is to open playback devices and change the default (which is a pain and for some reason when I make the HDMI not default and try to set it back as the default, it's touchy and takes a little bit to start working right).

Both working at the same time -- I think you can forget about that because the drivers are not written for that. Switching is, just as you described it. It's a PITA, I know, and for that reason, I try to use one set of speaker for most everything.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to PhilMc
Some sort of A/B channel switcher maybe?

MystBlade
Premium
join:2002-10-21
Lacey, WA
reply to PhilMc
Nope you have to switch it just like you have been doing. Happens all the time when you connect a laptop to a monitor that has sound built in. It defaults to HDMI sound and I just disabled the HDMI sound and used the onboard sounds. But as it seems you want to use both one for gaming and one for the other.

Even if you add another sound card you are still going to run into the same issue, because your computer can only use one device at a time.

There is a such thing as auto sync that when a device is turned on it enables it, most common in smart TV's for inputs. Would work for you but the big catch is your computer is always on. Catch 22.

Just do what I did and spend the $$ on a very nice LED Gaming Monitor 27" or 30" it seems like you want to play your games on a bigger screen.

Or get wireless headphones so you can sit in your comfy chair have your sound, not have to switch it, and hear emails at the same time. What a deal
--
[url=http://www.zetbit.com/][img]»www.zetbit.com/sig-1489863.jpg[/img][/url]