how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimmyK814

join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

Slower internet speeds

This is the first I've noticed it... but like another has mentioned in a different market, speeds are beginning to slow during prime hours.

I pay for the 40/3 service in Altoona. In the past couple of weeks it won't go above 18-20 during 6-9pm. As it gets later in the evening it slowly climbs back up to the advertised speeds.

Seems to be saturation of bandwidth based on the observation of peak vs. off peak hours.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Saturation is usually dependent on the node and how many lines are subscribed on to it.

They might need to split the node. There's not many connections on my node it seems (A lot of retirees, less computer literate types).

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

This is the first in probably 10 years I've seen speeds drop below advertised speeds. I always thought that was commendable!

Perhaps it will be temporary.

robry
Premium
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA
reply to JimmyK814

I have 40/3 in Johnstown, I'll do some tests tonight around those times and see how it looks.

also, can you do a test to speedtest.atlanticbb.net vs like www.speedtest.net ?

the one at atlantic stays in their network, so that will tell you if it's a node/area thing, versus abb's connection to the upstream internet.

JimmyK814

Altoona, PA

Cool, thanks. That's the one I've been using to test with. I've tried speedtest.net additionally, and it's very close to the same at those times.

It's been a week or so since I've checked so I'll have to try again as well. It's perfect at obscure times such as 4 am when I should be sleeping.

robry
Premium
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA
reply to JimmyK814

you know I haven't been around much during those times. I'll try tonight, I should be around, it worked good on my friends new S4, he was getting 40Mbit over wifi at 10PM