spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cubbies

join:2009-12-11

Motherinlaw moving in, help with locks

So the motherinlaw is moving in. I plan on changing all the locks out so its all 1 key (easy for her). She is known to loose keys. What do you recommend that can be easy re-keyed (preferably by me).

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

said by Cubbies:

So the motherinlaw is moving in. I plan on changing all the locks out so its all 1 key (easy for her). She is known to loose keys. What do you recommend that can be easy re-keyed (preferably by me).

Make sure that her key does not allow her in the house.

If you want one key for both front & back, it is easier to just change out the locksets, than getting them re-keyed. If you call around to a few locksmiths, you will find out that they cost more to re-key door locks, than it would cost you to go to the local Lowe's or Home Depot and get new locks.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Cubbies

said by Cubbies:

She is known to loose keys and you are planning to give her one that will open any of your doors?

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to Cubbies

Try the Kwikset smart key system »www.kwikset.com/SmartSecurity/Re···ogy.aspx

you will be buying several different keyed locks that can all be keyed to one key. If she loses a key,just take a different key and re-key all the locks to the new key. very quick to do. the other option would be to use the combo locks. never use a key again.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

1 recommendation

reply to Cubbies

keyless entry locks. problem solved.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Cubbies

Many options:

- the traditional option is manual re-keying which isn't all that difficult. Re-keying kits for common locksets (kwikset, schlage) are readily available at many home improvement and hardware stores. I have done re-keying on Schlage C1 locks (the most common) and if you don't count looking for a dropped spring on the carpet it was a reasonable fast and easy process .

- much easier is re-keying with kwikset smartkey or schlage securekey where the lock cylinder does not need to be removed (since you seem to anticipate having to do it more then once). Note: I don't like the complexity of those modern locksets and prefer the simple reliability of the old fashioned ones.

- another option is installing number combination door locks. There is no key for the mother in law to loose (which someone else could then use to enter the home) and the combination is easily changed if necessary.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

you will be buying several different keyed locks that can all be keyed to one key. If she loses a key,just take a different key and re-key all the locks to the new key. very quick to do. the other option would be to use the combo locks. never use a key again.

+1

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Cubbies

My mother-in-law is almost 80 and has lived with us for years. At my old house, I went with a Schlage electronic keypad lock on the front door. I put a matching standard lock on our back door so in case she had any problems with the new-fangled electronic lock - she never did. As an extra backup, she had a transmitter for the attached garage in her car.

It was easy. They keyed them to match at Lowes when I bought them.

She gave up her driving privileges when we moved down here to Florida, so it's not really an issue as she can't really go anywhere unless someone takes her.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

Agreed.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Cubbies

said by Cubbies:

So the motherinlaw is moving in.

Sorry to hear about that. As others have said the keyless entry ones would work fine.
--
Professional student pilot!

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON
reply to Cubbies

Cubbies forgot to mention that his mother-in-law has a bad memory so he would have to tattoo the combination number to her hand

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dick white

said by dick white:

said by PoloDude:

+1

+2

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

8 recommendations

reply to Cubbies

said by Cubbies:

loose

said by Jack_in_VA:

loose

said by liebold :

loose

It's lose.

Sorry, three strikes and my inner pedant takes over

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Cubbies

Or do what professional landlords do and get locks with interchangeable cores. That way you change the core and not the lock. I know Best Access is hard to purchase from but there are other brands that sell SFIC locks to locksmiths.

Changing a core is much easier than changing the whole lock. And if your relative is up there in age, get ADA compliant lever locks on all the doors.

My Grandma has severe advanced arthritis and I changed most of her locks with ADA lever locks and I did so at my expense.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to pike

said by pike:

said by Cubbies:

loose

said by Jack_in_VA:

loose

said by liebold :

loose

It's lose.

Sorry, three strikes and my inner pedant takes over

I didn't realize we had grammar police but you are correct. It is lose. I don't have the time to proof every post I make as I'm Busy Busy Busy.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Or do what professional landlords do and get locks with interchangeable cores. That way you change the core and not the lock. I know Best Access is hard to purchase from but there are other brands that sell SFIC locks to locksmiths.

Changing a core is much easier than changing the whole lock. And if your relative is up there in age, get ADA compliant lever locks on all the doors.

My Grandma has severe advanced arthritis and I changed most of her locks with ADA lever locks and I did so at my expense.

I have IC core locks on all of my houses. It takes about 15 seconds to rekey a lock. You just use a special "control" key, turn it and the key cylinder comes out. Reverse process with differently keyed lock cylinder and you are done. It is now very hard to find IC core locks which aren't ADA compliant as they are considered commercial locks and that is pretty much required now on commercial. Translated -- knob style locks are hard to find as they are all lever style now. IC core locks and cores are easy to find on ebay.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
reply to averagedude

+3, I've been using this kwik smart security locks for 5 years, after lock bumping became well known. It's an excellent bump proof solution.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Thanks for reminding me about the lock bumping. Looks like something I need to add to my list .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

said by IowaCowboy:

I have IC core locks on all of my houses. It takes about 15 seconds to rekey a lock. You just use a special "control" key, turn it and the key cylinder comes out. Reverse process with differently keyed lock cylinder and you are done. It is now very hard to find IC core locks which aren't ADA compliant as they are considered commercial locks and that is pretty much required now on commercial. Translated -- knob style locks are hard to find as they are all lever style now. IC core locks and cores are easy to find on ebay.

What brand do you use?

The original landlord in our current building (before he sold it to the current owner) used Best Access but I don't know where he got them as they are very difficult to obtain. They won't even distribute them to locksmith shops. When the building was sold, he installed Kwikset SmartKey (which came in real handy when the problem tenants moved out next door, I re-keyed all the locks for her).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

A good locksmith has them. I think many of mine are Falcon but the brand doesn't matter -- you can mix it up with one brand lock and another brand core. Just search for "IC Core" on eBay or google.

Edit -- Arrow is another good brand for them.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Cubbies

Kwickset combines the smart key with the combo lock, so you can have the best of both worlds. She doesn't need a key, but she can use one if she wants. If the key goes missing, you can re-key all the locks yourself although I am not sure where you would get the key to model the rest on. Maybe a locksmith can do that...? With the Kwickset combo lock, she can have her own combination and you, yours. I did a post a year or two back about the lock. I have been very happy with it. The first set of batteries went a year or so. Once in a while someone screws up the synchronization of the bolt but all you have to do is cycle locked/unlocked with the door open to fix it. You can screw it up by opening the door too fast. That probably hasn't happened but 2 or 3 times. If your mother in law is absent minded, she may be more prone to forget to lock the combo-lock with a button press. It is just so nice not to need a key. They are about $100.

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

reply to CFoo

said by CFoo:

Cubbies forgot to mention that his mother-in-law has a bad memory so he would have to tattoo the combination number to her hand

Make the combination the year she was born. If she can't remember that she probably won't remember that she lives there either.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Cubbies

My wife locked herself out of the house once or twice. Fortunately I was home at the time. So I just replaced all of the entry door locks in my home so that she could not do so again.

I replaced the Kwikset standard dead bolt on the front door with a Kwikset Smart Key push button electronic deadbolt. I replaced the standard Kwikset knob with integral lock on the door between the garage and living space, with a Kwikset Smart Key push button electronic handle lock. I replaced the deadbolt in the back door with the smart key deadbolt, included in the replacement handle set Kwikset sent me, because the finish on the original handle set deteriorated.

I replaced the standard Kwikset knob with integrated lock on the back door with a simple passage lock with no key. That way my wife cannot lock the back door without turning the thumb turn on the deadbolt from the inside or using a key on the outside. I saved about $125.00 because the front handle set was replaced under Kwikset's lifetime finish warranty.

If you install one of those lifeline systems for your Mother in Law, for one of those I have fallen and I can't get up situations. You can give the lifeline company an entry code to keep on file so if there is an emergency, the responders will not have to break down your front door to get in.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to pike

said by pike:

said by Cubbies:

loose

said by Jack_in_VA:

loose

said by liebold :

loose

It's lose.

What makes you think that you are right ? You are outnumbered 3:1 in favor of "loose" and you can't even spell my name correctly ("I before E except after C" has many exceptions including the fact that it does not apply to proper names)

Just kidding, I actually don't mind getting corrected and there is always the chance I might eventually remember it. The "lose" vs. "loose" case is particularly hard since the word is not spelled like it sounds! As for the spelling of my name, I don't like it, but I've gotten used to the fact that most people get it wrong.
--

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to CFoo

said by CFoo:

Changing the combination would be literally a painful process. Ouch!!!
--

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

Make sure that her key does not allow her in YOUR house.

FIFY.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

+1 and my MIL moved in with us last year.

I hope yours is as nice as mine.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Cubbies

I have 3 exterior doors, and a number of years ago I got a combo pack from Lowes (I think) to replace the lockable door knobs and deadbolts which were all keyed the same. I just searched and don't see them at Lowes. However, I found these at Amazon:
»www.amazon.com/Bedford-Nickel-Ma···bs_hi_22
--
Mac

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

said by CovMac:

I have 3 exterior doors, and a number of years ago I got a combo pack from Lowes (I think) to replace the lockable door knobs and deadbolts which were all keyed the same. I just searched and don't see them at Lowes. However, I found these at Amazon:
»www.amazon.com/Bedford-Nickel-Ma···bs_hi_22

You cannot beat Amazon for the prices, especially if you have a Prime account.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to Cubbies

Kwikset Smartkey (and pretty much all Kwikset) is junk. I rekeyed a 'normal' Kwikset knob yesterday and the metal spindle is now plastic. Did not know they could make a crappy lock even worse! The Smartkey locks are known to randomly fail and the plastic insides basically turn to shit.

I would either go SFIC (which I have never seen on a house) or a good Schlage lock. I can rekey one in about 5 minutes.