how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tracyl

join:2013-05-02
Raleigh, NC

1 edit

Uverse Wi-Fi / DNS issue no one can solve? Please help :)

Hi all,

My internet has been down since Monday morning. A tech came out Tuesday and tried for 3 hours but couldn't fix it.

I spent hours in queues on chat support last night, only to be told the wire they fixed Tuesday wasn't fixed.

And when they couldn't reach dispatch to confirm that it was fixed (we were 49 in the queue), they promised to call me back after they did and while I waited up til after 2AM, no one ever did.

Today's tech says his iPad is showing the problem is inside my house. (Even though they changed the modem the other day.)

And they just tried a port swap they were sure would work and it didn't.

So I'm praying you all can help! I'm self-employed and really need my wi-fi! (And yes, I miss my DVR functions.)

Here's what's going on:

I CAN connect to the 2WIRE network. That shows as working and connected. And it says "Internet Access."

I CAN'T get any browser to work. Chrome, Safari & IE--nothing. And I've tried it on a hardwired PC, laptop PC, the tech's phone and my iPhone. Cross browser, cross platform--nothing.

I CAN'T get the DVR functions requiring the internet (pause, record, troubleshoot) to work.

I CAN get Internet messaging and services like iTunes updates that don't rely on DNS name servers to work.

I CAN get the browsers on my laptop to work if I hard code the DNS settings to Google's public servers.

I know I'm not an expert, but it seems pretty clear to me that it's a DNS issue. The tech that came didn't know what that was. And the ones on the phone kept insisting it was a line issue.

From what I can tell, I can't change the DNS settings for the 2WIRE router anywhere myself.

And like I said, the port swap they were sure would work, didn't.

So what do I do now???

Tracy

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

Re: Wi-Fi / DNS issue no techs seems to be able to solve

EDIT: Nevermind, I overlooked where you said that you had manually entered the Google DNS servers into a notebook, and the notebook then worked OK.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

tracyl

Raleigh, NC
Yes, I should also say the modem was swapped out already, although the guy today didn't think it was because it still had the same 2WIRE number.

Hello, you did not state the type of RG/modem that you current have but based on comment that it did not look changed I believe it is a i38hg if so you have an iNid install. After replacing the IU (i38) a factory reset of the inid is needed.
On the BBU (backup battery unit, white box providing power for inid) upper left side is a hole with red circle, insert small object and hold till both lights flash red, release, in about 10-15 minutes iNid will be up, now FR IU (unplug, depress small button above power cord while plugging back in) in a couple minutes broadband and service lights should be on, if done properly your wireless devices should see the new IU 2wireXXX as opposed to old 2wire.

If this is not what you have please post what RG you do have.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to tracyl

Re: Uverse Wi-Fi / DNS issue no one can solve? Please help :)

what is the model of the unit you have?

Also, does anything work with just one PC-->wired-->2wire?

tracyl

Raleigh, NC
reply to my thoughts

Re: Wi-Fi / DNS issue no techs seems to be able to solve

Yes, i38HG

OK, I will try that. I did just unplug everything for 15 minutes and brought it all back up. But did not do it in the order you suggested.

tracyl

Raleigh, NC
reply to David

Re: Uverse Wi-Fi / DNS issue no one can solve? Please help :)

i38HG

No, even the hard wired PC does not work.

tracyl

Raleigh, NC
reply to tracyl
Yay! OK, now after doing my thoughts' sequence above, the hardwired computer, laptop and wi-fi on iPhone work!

The DVR functions don't work still, but I'm thinking I probably need to power that off and back on?

Also, it's very odd... The clear label on the back with the model number lists a different 2WIRE number and WEP to use. Yet, the tech put the yellow one from the previous unit and info on the front and that seems to be what's working?

Thanks you guys!

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by tracyl:

Also, it's very odd... The clear label on the back with the model number lists a different 2WIRE number and WEP to use. Yet, the tech put the yellow one from the previous unit and info on the front and that seems to be what's working?

If I remember correctly, these are items that can be changed inside the GUI. He probably changed it to your old info so you didn't have to change the info in all of your devices.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by weaseled386:

said by tracyl:

If I remember correctly, these are items that can be changed inside the GUI. He probably changed it to your old info so you didn't have to change the info in all of your devices.

You might be on to something there. If he changed it to match your wi-fi config you had, you might have to recreate it/change it back.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
there is a way to go into the settings and to invoke wireless retrain and it will see the current inside unit and use that 2wirexxx. But since you did the factory reset it should have seen the new one and that should be what you can see for wireless devices

s2Legion

join:2013-05-12
Colchester, CT
reply to tracyl
If the IU got swapped and it kept the old 2Wire Info...the tech didn't factory reset the INID to clear out of the old IU.

The best way do solve this solution is to unplug the old IU, factory reset your IPSU (inside power supply unit) red button on left side. Hold for 20 seconds till power light goes green again.

Im hoping its on a Cat5e HR for the best signal possible. You probably don't have a spare IU laying around, but it would be easiest just to install a brand new one after the factory reset of your INID.

You can also go into the IP address 192.168.1.254 you will need the system password of the cover of your IPSU to make any changes. Then go into the router itself and name the network whatever you would like.

What type of Windows or OS are you running on CPU??? If you have Vista WEP Open seems to work best for me on my repairs when devices have issues with WIFI.