spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gabor

join:2013-05-01

How safe is a cloud based antivirus?

I've just got a 1year WSA antivirus for free and I intend to install it on my main pc.

Searching the "Help" I found out that WSA doesn't have a resident database and all file are scanned in the cloud.

How safe is to run such AV when all your files are "inspected" on the cloud and you never know who/what is on the other side of the cloud?

Expand your moderator at work

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to gabor

Re: How safe is a cloud based antivirus?

What is WSA?

Expand your moderator at work

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to gabor

Re: How safe is a cloud based antivirus?

WSA = Webroot SecureAnywhere

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

Yep, got a PM from the OP. Another senior moment for me.

gabor

reply to La Luna

»www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-p···rus.html

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to gabor

I'm not a WSA guru or even a user, but from what I've read about it, your files aren't exactly sent to the cloud to be scanned. Instead, WSA has a small resident engine on the local computer that analyzes the files, and which communicates with rules and reference info located in the cloud, to make its determinations. A lot of it is heuristics-based, along with a modest amount of signaturing. When your system isn't hooked to the net, the resident engine journals whatever goes on, so that once net connection resumes, it can roll back whatever has occurred should something be detected after-the-fact.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to gabor

I won't use a cloud based only anti virus solution on a PC based system. Cloud assisted is fine with traditional signatures and heuristics.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

WSA has a small resident engine on the local computer that analyzes the files, and which communicates with rules and reference info located in the cloud, to make its determinations.

So aside from marketing hype ("it's in the cloud") what's the advantage of such an approach? I'd think that storing definitions locally (i.e. on HD) would be faster.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

your files aren't exactly sent to the cloud to be scanned.

I don't know a lot about it either, but 'sending files to the cloud' sounds like the absolute worst way you could design it, from the viewpoint of performance.

gabor

Well.....I install it!

I seems like , when you do a full scan , ALL your files will have MD5 determined and compared with the info in the cloud...

I other words ,the "cloud" will know each and every minute all what is in your pc... your privacy is gone but the scan, I have to say, is very fast and the foot print is insignificant.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by gabor:

... your privacy is gone but the scan, I have to say, is very fast and the foot print is insignificant.

I'll stick with "slow" scans thank you
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to gabor

I use Webroot and MBAM. I like them both.

As to my privacy on the files I have on my PC... oh well. lol!