Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Even the Ad Industry Doesn't Know Who's Tracking You

»www.itworld.com/it-management/35···n-t-know from »yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/02/···king-you

"Web tracking has become so widespread that nobody knows who all these companies are or what data they're collecting..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

With so many players digesting mostly the same raw data, there simply has to be an enormous amount of money in play to justify such a crowded field all making a going business out of slicing and dicing. That, or there are a lot of utterly stupid marketing departments out there being suckered by empty promises of "smart analytics". Or both.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to antdude

I wonder if thats 100% accurate that they really dont know?

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4
reply to antdude

Re: Even the Ad Industry Doesn't Know Who's Tracking You

TrackerMap uses data collected by the Ghostery browser tool to display the various entities that take up residence on your computer when you visit a site.

...some are behavioral trackers that use cookies to follow you around the Web so they can build profiles of you and your habits.

Can I be tracked if I don't set tracking cookies?

----
rich

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to antdude
quote:
In other words, ToneFuse is in the data mining business, along with just about everyone else.
...the "no s**t, Sherlock" comment right there. SOMEone is making money off your data.

Regards