how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Drone Shield: A $70 Drone Detection System

Meet Drone Shield, an ambitious idea for a $70 drone detection system:

Aerospace engineer wants to scan for audio signatures of flying robots.

On Tuesday, an ambitious aerospace engineer from Washington, DC began seeking donations on Indiegogo to create an “open-source drone detection system.”

The Drone Shield would combine a Raspberry Pi, a signal processor, a microphone, and analysis software to scan for specific audio signatures and compare them against what known drones sound like (because obviously a Predator drone is going to sound very different from a small quadcopter.) Once a match is found, the Drone Shield then sends an e-mail or SMS to its owner. As of this writing, the campaign is only closing in on one-tenth of its goal with $301 out $3,500 raised.

John Franklin, the project’s organizer, believes it would cost around $60 to $70 to make one, but he’s hoping to raise funds from other privacy-minded citizens like himself. He notes the idea here is to counter the rising use of drones not only in foreign theaters of war, but also in domestic skies.

"I'm a problem solver and I'm trying to gauge if this is a problem that people are interested in solving,” he told Ars. “The idea here is that it becomes an open-source thing and people could contribute their own signatures.”

“This project is yet another indicator of the fact that there is very strong and widespread sentiment on the ground about drones—and it’s one of tremendous skepticism,” wrote Linda Lye, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California, in an e-mail to Ars.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

Ooooo... I signed up.

Can't detect enough spy drones, is what I say. Not sure what I will do when I detect them. Maybe let them follow me to where they use them for target practice?

"Pull!"
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by beck:

Ooooo... I signed up.

Can't detect enough spy drones, is what I say. Not sure what I will do when I detect them. Maybe let them follow me to where they use them for target practice?

"Pull!"

Apparently, we think a lot alike: »Re: Google Glass hackers can see what you see hear what you hear

Scary, isn't it?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
reply to beck

said by beck:

Not sure what I will do when I detect them.

Yes, exactly what are you supposed to do when you get this email?

"Once a match is found, the Drone Shield then sends an e-mail or SMS to its owner."

Run around like a chicken with it's head cut off?

FF4m3

@rr.com

said by Trihexagonal:

said by beck:

Launch your own personal interceptor drone, naturally.

FF4m3

@rr.com

said by FF4m3 :

said by Trihexagonal:

said by beck:

Launch your own personal interceptor drone, naturally.

Perhaps something like this!

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road

Are those control wires on the top right fly that is flying?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by beck:

Yes.
--
~ Project Hope ~

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to FF4m3

I'll be sure to ware my foil hat

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

said by beck:

Yes.

Darn! What good is a spy fly if it needs control wires?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by beck:

said by EUS:

said by beck:

Yes.

At 80 milligrams, it certainly can't heft much payload, let alone internal power supply and comm gear. So it's pretty much limited to leap-frogging pennies. And perhaps reeling in fresh grant money...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to beck

said by beck:

said by EUS:

said by beck:

Yes.

As the linked article explains the drones are still under development and as such are not yet deployable.

But one day they will be.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

At 80 milligrams, it certainly can't heft much payload, let alone internal power supply and comm gear.

As of today, with current technology that is publicly available.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3

Robotic insect: World's smallest flying robot takes off:

The current model of robo-fly is tethered to a small, off-board power source but Dr Ma says the next step will be to miniaturise the other bits of technology that will be needed to create a "fully wireless flying robot".

"It will be a few more years before full integration is possible," he said.

"Until then, this research project continues to be very captivating work because of its similarity to natural insects. It is a demonstration of how far human engineering ingenuity has reached, to be mimicking natural systems."

Dr Jon Dyhr, a biologist from the University of Washington who also studies insect flight, said these flying robots were "impressive feats of engineering".

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to beck

said by beck:

Yup, and that's also a pair of tweezers holding it up by it's hind leg.