uniqs
share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

How long of a drive to Myrtle Beach, SC?

From CT I'm guessing 16 hours?

Looking at the prices for a flight Aug 24th I might be better off just driving? It seem like flights with more then one stops are the most and the cheapest I saw so far was $312 and the highest $1K

The local airport near me (less then 5 miles) Westchester county airport the cheapest flight is $588

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 recommendation

better then the one I was using here, thanks!

»www.travelmath.com/driving-time/···to/29578

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to Subaru
It can be done in a day's drive. Only 689 miles point to point, or about 12 hours with no stops. If you figure driving on average 75 mph, you can do the drive in under 10 hours drive time.

You never mentioned how many gallons your vehicle's tank holds, average mpg that you get, when driving an average speed of say 70mph, for a hour time.

Figure probably two fill ups, that would give you two food and pee breaks during the trip, unless you have a weak bladder, then expect a stop about every hour or so, which would extend your trip time.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
My car holds 15.9 gal with a avg of about 28 MPG on the highway.

I plan on making a few stops, The thing is I have two weddings to go to back to back, One would be here in CT but it wont be over until evening.. So I would have to find some places to rest before hand.

I don't want to get to Myrtle Beach too early because the other party is also driving and they are paying my hotel, I would need to find out from them what time they are leaving.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
Depends on what time you plan on leaving. If you leave around 8 in the morning, figure probably around 9 or 10 that night, if making some stops. If you plan on boogying and getting there quicker, maybe around 6 or 7.

You can always find somewhere to hang out. I always find some pretty good deals on rooms, on Travelocity. Kayak I have found, does not save much, due to most sites online all have the same prices pretty much.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
reply to Subaru
You're welcome.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Subaru
Google Maps estimates:

I95 S - 689 mi, 11 hours 17 mins (In current traffic: 11 hours 16 mins)

I-78 W and I-95 S -746 mi, 12 hours 23 mins (No traffic information)

US-29 S - 747 mi, 12 hours 52 mins (No traffic information)

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Subaru
Also if your driving don't forget to budget for tolls for bridges and such, EZ pass is good to have here. You can navigate around some but best to stick to them if time is of the essence and less frustrations. Plus travel time will vary depending on time of day your coming into the major cities like NYC, Philly, Baltimore/DC areas. Lots of construction everywhere and delays will add to your travel time.

If I were you I'd try to start out after 8pm that way you could get through NYC, Philly, Baltimore/DC corridor pretty easily and quickly then take a rest time somewhere past that say in Maryland or Virgina. Always some rest stops along the way or find a decent parking lot and crash out in the car.

Or you could take Greyhound , just kidding I wouldn't recommend those roach coaches to anyone, plus it probably take them 2 days to get you there.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
2013 Streets & Trips (set at default speeds)
711.3 miles
10 hr & 38 min
Add time for stops & slow traffic.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Fir_Na_Tine
I have plenty of money on the ezpass this time :P I guess the last time I went to NJ something must of happened and it never added more money to the account got stuck at the gate.

and Greyhound sucks I took it back in '03 I took it down to VA but I took the train back! lol They gave us a driver that did not know the area so we got lost..

I tend to stop in Maryland first but might be sooner then that given this weird wedding in the evening with my cousin, that's the only thing is I haven't checked up on road work the good thing about this is I will be getting a dry run because I have family in NC so it's pretty much almost the same way and I would be going to see them 2 weeks before driving down yet again.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to wth
said by wth:

2013 Streets & Trips (set at default speeds)
711.3 miles
10 hr & 38 min
Add time for stops & slow traffic.

Wow I did not know they still made streets and trips

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Subaru
Just keep away from major cities during rush hour. If you take I95 around DC during a rush time you should add about 3 hours. I assume other major cities you would be drivign past can also be bad but I still have nightmares of DC traffic.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Subaru
If you wedding ends in the evening, Catch a nap in you car then leave late at night. That will get you south of DC early in the morning . You want to be on the south side of DC by 6am the latest. After that it's an easy downhill run.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Thanks

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Subaru
Was that $312 fare RT?

Because even at 28mpg you are going to be spending at least $200 on gas, plus car wear, possible damage/accident, time & wear on you, plus tolls, food, etc.

If you can get that fare think I'd take it and save yourself a lot of stress.

BTW did you check fares from both NYC area and Hartford, that short drive upstate and LT parking might pay off Never know with the odd way fares are structured. Also checked alt days the difference going off peak might more than make up for an extra hotel day.
--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru
The drive from before Baltimore through to Richmond is bad almost anytime. Night is better. There is construction on 95 as you get to Baltimore. If you don't went to get off the road to stop, they closed the "Maryland House rest stop. So, on 95 there is only one stop for food or gas from the start of Maryland until after DC but you can get off of 95.

The map from Chinabound shows taking 295 through DC. That's a thrilling drive during the daytime traffic.

If you have a satellite radio you can get some traffic reports. If not, WTOP 1500KHz (I think) has DC traffic every 10 min.
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico."

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
Have you thought about taking RT1/13 down after Philly and taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel?

It can take a lot of time away from the Baltimore, DC and Richmond traffic. The tolls for the bridge and Rt 1 tolls can be paid via EzPass. No tolls after the bridge tunnel

If you plan on a weekend, the Rt 1 tolls go from $1.00 to $2.00 a pass. The bridge is $12.00 each way.

After the bridge, you take I64 to RT 58 to I95 (about 2hrs from the bridge. Gas in Va Beach is around $3.29 right now. Lots of low cost motels along the way. May be a good halfway stopping point.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Well it would be a weekend thing it's on Aug 24th but I've never taken that way before.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
Not a bad run. Personally I would take the fastest route, and stick with i-95. If you have a iPhone, you can use the Inrix Traffic and/or GPS Drive apps for traffic alerts.

GPS Drive, I have found it to be the best, when it comes to GPS apps for the iPhone. Inrix Traffic is also better than the traffic info with Google or Apple maps.

Another good app is also Hema's USA Atlas.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I'm going to use a gps unit due to the areas I will be going has spotty coverage.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
Still are nice tools to have on your iphone or android.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I use google maps on my phone but I have it set for other things while driving.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Well leaving on Friday, only thing about the site that ChinaBound gave me is the total gas and speed are way off.. No way it would only cost me $94 in fuel for the whole trip

JustBurnt

@rr.com
Each way is about $100 using your est of HWMPG, distance of ~720 and the average price of fuel.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
that calculator wont allow you to enter in your tank size, I'm not sure why it says 720 miles since other sites says 639 I'm going to have to at least fill up 2 times maybe just around 3 times when I arrive. It takes about $50 to fill my tank in CT (far cry from the $20 it used to be)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
The drive was nice but man it had me go on rt. 701 for like 100 miles.. that was down right painful!!

golfer55

join:2009-12-25
Grottoes, VA
I know have taken that road before nothing on it but churches & cemetery's

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
and a lot of farm land.. I was was sticking to the speed limit but man people see to do near 80 on that part of the road and only slow down when you get to the town area or the traffic circles.