share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

APRS

I used to run a APRS rig, I'm not sure what happened maybe it was because I was running off a battery pack but the last time I used it my radio locked up with all of the display lit up (LCD) I assume some glitch?

I haven't powered it up in at least 3 years

I was going to get another radio but I've been slacking on this but I have a long road trip in Aug (Myrtle beach, SC) and was thinking about bringing it along or maybe finding another radio before then.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
And your question is??

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
Sorry I was digging in storage and I found the radio, but the question is which 2M transceiver has a data jack?

I just powered the kenwood up and the display is going nuts.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAaQBK9s···youtu.be

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
I don't know about that radio but most of them have a reset sequence using the keyboard to reset the micro processor. Might try to google it up.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I'm looking to replace it with a ICOM IC-208H soon.

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
reply to Subaru
APRS is 1200 baud, it can be piped in/out through the headphone microphone port on most any HT or 2M radio.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by OldCableGuy :

APRS is 1200 baud, it can be piped in/out through the headphone microphone port on most any HT or 2M radio.

Yep thats how I have it on the current setup, the hacked cable is because the jack on this one is 6 and it was a little hard to find a 6 pin female jack but I found it.

the icom is Rj-11 which from from what I understand is enough to power the GPS but I'm not sure if it's radio power or just GPS it's been awhile since I used it but if I do get that icom I would have to redo my setup.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
I was just looking in the online manual..

"MEMORY BACK-UP LITHRJM BATTERY
A lithium battery is contained in the transceiver to retain
memory. Therefore, turning off the POWER switch, dis-
connecting the power cable, or a power failure will not
clear the memory. The battery will last approximately five
years.
When the battery discharges and erroneous display
may appear on the LCD. Lithium battery replacement
should be performed by an authorized Kenwood service
facility - either your Kenwood dealer, or the factory"

I think this model is from the late 70's so I'm not sure if it's ever been replaced.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Hmm I can't figure out how to get xastir to show up, it says it's installed in linux mint 11 but it's not showing.. I'm going to switch to fedora 18 to try something else out.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Does this look good?

»aprs.fi/info/a/KB1QXO-9

I have to replace that piece of crap GPS unit.. it's a serial GPS that I hacked but it has a evermore GPS chip, about the time that sirf II was just coming on the market..

this thing is so bad if you go down a street with tree limbs that go over a roadway that's enough to lose your lock, then take about 25 seconds to get it back.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Well I think my tinytrack 4 got bricked tried to update the firmware and it failed and now it wont do anything when you power on other then having the two LED's lit.

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
On those radios if the battery went dead or was removed they lost all memory and had to be reprogramed. That's why needed to be sent to the factory for replacement.

You could do it yourself if you made some jumpers and kept voltage on the circuit.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
I don't recall the Kenwood radios being like that. If/when the battery died, you just lost whatever you had programmed.

Some of the earlier Icom radios definitely were like that (I've got an R-71A I just fixed), and there are at least two third-party vendors that sell replacement boards that don't kill the radio if the battery dies.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Subaru
Yeah, some of the early programmable ones did have issues if the internal battery went dead.

I use a Kenwood TH-D7A(G) and plug in a Garmin III+ and it works great except for the fact it is only 5 watts and my mobile antennas don't work as they should.

I would like to get a Kennwood D700A or D710A and just plug in the Garmin and still have a second band to talk on.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
That's the only thing I haven't talked much on the radio at all since I got my call sign maybe 20 min and I've had it for a few years now.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
Always have the option.

OldCableGuy

@communications.net
reply to Subaru
Why have you not talked much? I think that APRS is fun, but why track yourself and others if you don't know who they are? Don't you have nets and things where you are at?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by OldCableGuy :

Why have you not talked much? I think that APRS is fun, but why track yourself and others if you don't know who they are? Don't you have nets and things where you are at?

My transmit location is a little iffy.. If I could get a J pole I think I could do it..

I can hit WB2HWW with my HT from my apartment but I need to be near the window and on high power. Plus I do it because I like to show my family the things you can do and it's not just "another hobby"
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to Subaru
You can make a ground plane 2-meter and 70 cm for a few dollars; $4 SO-239, some RG-8x coax, and 5 20-inch pieces of #12 copper wire. See my thread in this dead forum.

Although if indeed you get a $39 j-pole, it will work even better. Just prop it against a wall if you can't put it up or outside. This one works great: »www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Johnny:

You can make a ground plane 2-meter and 70 cm for a few dollars; $4 SO-239, some RG-8x coax, and 5 20-inch pieces of #12 copper wire. See my thread in this dead forum.

Although if indeed you get a $39 j-pole, it will work even better. Just prop it against a wall if you can't put it up or outside. This one works great: »www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

I have a mag mount antenna and I put it on the underside of my window AC but I noticed the signal meter when on high power it's not really high, in the car however it worked fine.. I assume it had to do with the ground plane?
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
Probably. The magmount uses the car roof as a ground plane. There's really no way to prove that using the AC is not adequate, unless you can borrow an antenna analyzer. It won't do any good to just bring the antenna somewhere - you need to put the analyzer on it while it is in its operating configuration.

I've been very happy since I bought that $39 j-pole (actually I got the $49 version which has the long element in 2 sections). I have it up against a wall now but will be putting it 10 feet higher up in the attic as soon as I fish the cable. As it is, my Kenwood D710 can hit several repeaters 10-15 miles away on 10 watts and I am down in a hole relative to them.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I'm in the same boat, my HT at 5 watts and a antenna I can get out about 16 miles which is pretty amazing if you ask me giving how it is.

I do need to get a SWR meter

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
I guess we get spoiled in the midwest. I live in Iowa, can hit about 5 repeaters on 1/2 watt from my basement, if I connect to my outside antenna and use 100watts I can reach repeaters over 80 miles away.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by OldCableGuy :

I guess we get spoiled in the midwest. I live in Iowa, can hit about 5 repeaters on 1/2 watt from my basement, if I connect to my outside antenna and use 100watts I can reach repeaters over 80 miles away.

Iowa is nice and flat in most of the state, with lots of tall towers. I used to have a 70cm machine in central Iowa that was at 460 feet. I could hit that thing from 50 miles away with 5 watts. I don't do much with 2m or 70cm anymore, not even sure what repeaters are out there other than the local one I put on the air and occasionally use. We recently moved it to a new tower so don't even know it's coverage area anymore as I haven't had a mobile radio setup in over a year now.

PL239

join:2013-06-17
Aliquippa, PA
reply to Subaru
Yaesu 8800 / 8900 both has a data port.
You don't have to sacrifice the mic jack just to run APRS.
I'm sure other Yaesu Models has the same feature.
Some old Alinco's such as the 605 also has a data port.

If you use APRS for vehicle tracking - you are using it for all the wrong reasons.
It wasn't designed to track things - but for Ecomm's where you are at a location and need help - it sends the GPS coordinates and also allows you to send simple text messages..

That old Kenwood you have is ancient..
A lot of the old hams in my neck of the woods has one just like yours. YES - the battery goes dead and you have to upgrade it - PL board - if it doesn't already have the upgrade installed.