noomi
join:2001-04-14
Beverly Hills, FL

2 recommendations

noomi to samkaye

to samkaye

Re: Cookies not working

Finally found the problem!!
It was a setting in my modem (Mot.SBg6580). Under firewall, it had "filter cookies" checked. Don't know how this happened. I never changed anything and nobody else has access to my computer.
Thanks to all who tried to help.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm so glad you figured it out and let us know.

I had that modem briefly. I didn't like it at all. I exchanged it for the Surfboard 6141 that I am happy with.

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to noomi

MVM

to noomi
said by noomi:

Finally found the problem!!
It was a setting in my modem (Mot.SBg6580). Under firewall, it had "filter cookies" checked. Don't know how this happened. I never changed anything and nobody else has access to my computer.
Thanks to all who tried to help.

Your cable modem is accessed from your cable provider.
If they pushed an update to the modem, then the setting may have been enabled after the push.
Always keep an eye on your modem, as you can tell when it has been rebooted from a push update.

noomi
Beverly Hills, FL

noomi

In the logs, it says that the updates failed 3 different times.
"SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present".
Should I care??

TransitMan
MVM
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

No. That is an issue for the cable company.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to TransitMan

Premium Member

to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:

Your cable modem is accessed from your cable provider.
If they pushed an update to the modem, then the setting may have been enabled after the push.
Always keep an eye on your modem, as you can tell when it has been rebooted from a push update.

Yeah, and that cannot happen if you have a MODEM. The OP has one of those god-awful pieces of junk that also has a firewall and parental controls and can be a wireless router (but all that costs $10 a month more) and enables TWC to have too much control over the user's firewall, etc. The OP should return that invasive piece of junk and get the Surfboard 6141 instead. It is a MODEM and nothing else and doesn't require logging into it in order to check the modem stats or logs. The OP should have a firewall separate from the modem. If the 6141's firmware is updated, that would never interfere with the OP's firewall settings.

The OP should be concerned if the modem failed a firmware push even once much less three times. The next push could brick it and the OP should call tier 3 about it. Plus, the OP should complain loudly to TWC regarding the silent, sneaky, without the OP's express permission, resetting of his/her firewall settings. Of COURSE the OP should be concerned about all of this!

TransitMan
MVM
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

The OP has not indicated whether it is his personal modem to avoid the "Modem Fee" or if it is in fact TWC equipment.

Even though the push update failed, he still has access to the internet. And, and only then, when TWC bricks the modem should he be concerned, especially if it does belong to TWC.

As for calling Tier 3, if the cable modem is his that he bought to escape the "Modem Fee", he could call, but I doubt it go anywhere. But anything could be worth a shot.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The OP should be concerned if the modem failed a firmware push even once much less three times. The next push could brick it and the OP should call tier 3 about it. Plus, the OP should complain loudly to TWC regarding the silent, sneaky, without the OP's express permission, resetting of his/her firewall settings. Of COURSE the OP should be concerned about all of this!

Missing software during a firmware download is not going to brick the modem. Realize the modem has to download the firmware, check it, and reboot. If it never is successfully able to download, it's not going to do the remaining steps.

Nothing to call tier 3 about.

noomi
Beverly Hills, FL

noomi

I rent the modem. Don't really care about firmware update as I haven't had any problems before.
How some can say that this model modem is apiece of junk is beyond me.
How the filter cookies was checked, is also beyond me.
I hope if someone else happens to have this problem, this thread will be of help.
Thanks again.
And no, I never use wireless.