Search similar:

uniqs

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207

[Internet] Bell will run a fibre to your house for a 2 year cont

I am in Toronto btw.

I heard this from a relative that Bell will run a fibre optics to the house if you sign a 2 years contract with them. The person (non-technical) was told of this from a Bell store. Is this true or false?

Is this something for the Fibe TV, Fibe Internet, or you need to sign up for both? How much are per month for the 2 years are we talking about here. I thought neighbourhoods will get their turns whenever Bell comes around to it. I don't mind the FTTH with 150mbps both ways, but at what cost. Maybe I can get my father to pay for the Fibe TV part of it.....

Current I have the Fibe 15/10 that actually works like 15mbps down and 1.78 mbps up. Not much I know but it beats out the previous hi-speed plan that only had 6/0.7. The old arrangement just cannot handle the load when my parent's TVPad is streaming. It won't even register the load after the upgrade. The Bell tech told me I can never have FibeTV or higher packages unless they run fibre to the pole first. FibeTV may work in bad performance due to the low up speed.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

Re: [Internet] Bell will run a fibre to your house for a 2 year

Never heard of that, unless it's for some crazy deal.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to hlo207

to hlo207
I had some Bell-contracted door-to-door salesperson tell me something similar (there is fibre on <semi-major street a block away>, they can bring it to your house and you can have Fib(r)e). It's not true.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

said by squircle:

I had some Bell-contracted door-to-door salesperson tell me something similar (there is fibre on <semi-major street a block away>, they can bring it to your house and you can have Fib(r)e). It's not true.

The Bell CO is less than 500 metres straight line distance from my house. I am sure there are fibre connections there. However the copper wires go around the long way to get to the house. The Bell tech who installed my current internet told me there are over 1km (something like that) of wires between the CO and house, too far for the really high upload speed.

If they ask me to subscribe the highest speed internet Bundle and Fibe TV for 2 years to run the line; they can forget that. I can wait for my turn eventually. If there is no rate increase and I can get full 25/10 or old 50/50, maybe... I have been on Bell Internet for the last 13 years anyway, another 2 years locked in won't kill me.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to hlo207

Premium Member

to hlo207
If they were talking a commercial install, sure they'd run it for a 2 year contract... But you'd be talking a 10k+ install charge, and 2k or more a month for service.

If you're looking for a residental service; unless you're in a FTTH trial area, or one of the very few areas that are being overlayed with FTTH, not happening...
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to hlo207

to hlo207
Half true.

They will run fibre to anyone who asks, as long as you agree to a long term commitment and/or insane installation and monthly fees that would be pretty hard to swallow for a non-business user.

If you want faster internet, you might want to look into Cable.
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

2 edits

docbill to squircle

to squircle
Several times on the bell canada website, I see they offer fibre to my door. The cost is $200/month, and last time I saw it the data cap was still pretty low. It keeps reappearing and disappear from the website, so it might be an error in their website. But even if it is an error for my residence, that means it is available to some people...

Edit: Today I see Bell Fibe Internet 175/175. $149/month. 300 GB usage cap. Not quite fiber speed, but I bet they do bring a fiber to the door, and just not offer the full speed at that price. For those keeping track, it would take just under 4 hours to burn through the month's data cap at that speed...

According to the website: "Coming to new neighbourhoods every week, Bell Fibe Internet 175/175 delivers fibre optics right to your home. You get as much speed whether your downloading or uploading, a blazing 175 Mbps either way."

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

said by docbill:

Several times on the bell canada website, I see they offer fibre to my door. The cost is $200/month, and last time I saw it the data cap was still pretty low. It keeps reappearing and disappear from the website, so it might be an error in their website. But even if it is an error for my residence, that means it is available to some people...

Edit: Today I see Bell Fibe Internet 175/175. $149/month. 300 GB usage cap. Not quite fiber speed, but I bet they do bring a fiber to the door, and just not offer the full speed at that price. For those keeping track, it would take just under 4 hours to burn through the month's data cap at that speed...

According to the website: "Coming to new neighbourhoods every week, Bell Fibe Internet 175/175 delivers fibre optics right to your home. You get as much speed whether your downloading or uploading, a blazing 175 Mbps either way."

Because it disappears sometimes due to you validating your address via phone or postal code, thus eliminating the FTTH options from your selection. It will only reappear when you clear your cache or delete your cookies.

FTTH pricing is visible to everyone, until you check availability.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207 to docbill

to docbill
said by docbill:

If I can get it for sure, I don't mind paying the extra $30 for unlimited bandwidth. I wonder what will they charge if I throw in the Fibe TV as well, then just $10 for unlimited.

The Bell tech told me when I got my current config installed that "my dream" will only come true when the "Check Availability" says FTTH. Otherwise, dream on......
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill

said by hlo207:

If I can get it for sure, I don't mind paying the extra $30 for unlimited bandwidth. I wonder what will they charge if I throw in the Fibe TV as well, then just $10 for unlimited.

Bell has a history of applying "fair usage" restrictions to "unlimited" plans. I'm guessing Bell would classify anything more than say 600 GB as not being fair usage and disconnect the line. So you can count on one 8 hour day of full bandwidth for $179...
dpFlipFlop
join:2012-03-31
K4A

dpFlipFlop

said by docbill:

Bell has a history of applying "fair usage" restrictions to "unlimited" plans. I'm guessing Bell would classify anything more than say 600 GB as not being fair usage and disconnect the line. So you can count on one 8 hour day of full bandwidth for $179...

Luckily they don't do any of that funny business to FTTH customers on the 50/50 or 175/175 plans
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to docbill

to docbill
Did more then a 1TB, didn't hear anything from Bell.

outsider80
@bell.ca

outsider80 to hlo207

Anon

to hlo207
I just saw that I can have Bell Internet 175/175 at my house. I called Bell and I took the Bell TV Fibe and the Bell Internet 175/175 with unlimited downloading.

I'll let you know how is everything in a few days

Handsome Ham
@204.101.19.x

Handsome Ham

Anon

So how is Fibe service? I am being installed on Saturday for my new home build. Apparently I have Fiber to the home.

I am getting the following:

12 months free Fibe TV
6 months Free Phone
I could of took 6 months free 50/50 fibe internet, but took the $49.95 on-going deal instead