spc
Search similar:

uniqs

me87
join:2002-12-08
Iapetus

me87

Software to spy on your kids?

Someone asked me to find him a remote desktop type of program that will not alert the remote user. He wants to be able to shut down the computer if his kid is using it improperly.

I am already looking at windows live but another free alternative would be nice.

Thanks

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

4 recommendations

Phoenix22

Premium Member

said by me87:

Someone asked me to find him a remote desktop type of program that will not alert the remote user. He wants to be able to shut down the computer if his kid is using it improperly.

I am already looking at windows live but another free alternative would be nice.

Thanks

heres a really free alternative.........parenting........i'm 1949 model so we did things differently then........
you tell the child you have installed a keylogger, evil spirits, and gps trackers on his /hers bike or car........

make them believe.........

you are not trying to be their bff.........

if that does not work..........then do it.........imho

me87
Iapetus

1 recommendation

me87

Its a complicated situation where a divorced couple is using the kids as pawns. Long long story. I have told him what you suggest.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

2 recommendations

Snowy to me87

Premium Member

to me87
Since you posted this to the security forum rather than the software forum I'll give you a security/privacy view.

As Phoenix22 See Profile already pointed out, keylogging @home is not a preemptive activity.
As a last resort condition of net access keylogging has it's place if used responsibly.
Responsible use starts with disclosure.

Free is nice as in ring tones, cool smileys, wallpapers etc... but a free keylogger?
You'd recommend a free keylogger based on a post reply in this thread?
That's nuts.
If the situation needs a keylogger the cost is easily justified.
»www.spectorsoft.com/prod ··· ndex.asp

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to me87

Anon

to me87

Re: Software to spy on your kids? ... but maybe your ex too.

said by me87:

Its a complicated situation where a divorced couple is using the kids as pawns. Long long story. I have told him what you suggest.

If your friend wants to monitor and audit his kid's web activity, he should use a product for these things, such as the popular K9
»www1.k9webprotection.com/

Of course he'd have to have access to the physical PC to use K9.. If he doesn't and he is intending to remote into or keylog a computer where he does not have physical access, does not reside there nor is his PC, then that would be illegal (check your states wiretapping laws) no matter if it's his kids using it or not nor his ex or anyone. Do not help him do this if that's the case. The old "I want to check on the kids" at my ex's on that PC who I am in a legal battle with is not new...

-Jim

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to me87

Premium Member

to me87

Re: Software to spy on your kids?

For starters apply opendns and close off subjects that you are trying to prevent access too.

me87
Iapetus

me87 to Snowy

to Snowy
The thread was move here from Software forum.
I don't need a key logger, just a remote desktop in stealth mode.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

old_tech to me87

Premium Member

to me87
It is called being a parent. If you are scared of what the kids are doing online, do not give them the username of the account you log them in with, place the computer in a common area, and check browser history every now and then if you wish.

If they are older teens and have a computer in their bedroom, pop in to see what they are doing online, sit and chat with them to see what they are doing. Basically be a parent who is not so overbearing, that it makes them uncomfortable, bur one that they understand that they know you care what they are doing.

In all reality, using software to replace the parent or using it as a overlord, is the completely wrong way to go.
old_tech

old_tech to me87

Premium Member

to me87
said by me87:

Not something to be involvd in, and both parents need to be slapped to get them to quit acting like spoiled children and brats.

Without a warrent or court order, placing the software on the computer cannot only get the parent whoms household it is in, in trouble, but the person that it installed it on there for that parent.

Suggest walking away from this situation very quickly, and distanc yourself very far from both parties.

Let the courts handle the situation. The jusge will decide what is best for the kids, and usually are really good at slapping idiot stupid parents.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

Not something to be involvd in...

Suggest walking away from this situation very quickly...

+100

ph0enix
join:2013-04-26

ph0enix to me87

to me87
I personally will never ever suggest using any software like this, basically because you can't trust what is running behind the scene.

As old_tech See Profile mentioned to monitor browser history but if they are aware of this I want to tell you that today's browsers including Chrome and Firefox got a feature that will let you login with an account and sync your history, passwords, bookmarks, and more. Login with your Gmail account on Chrome or create a Sync account on Firefox. Run each browser as a new instance and login to see what things are synced.

For remote computer shutdown, there are some apps that lets you set a timer where the computer will be turned off automatically after that period and disabling it needs administrator credentials but to be honest I don't remember what the software name was.

It's a complicated work, be careful to lose your kids' trust. Ouch

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to me87

Premium Member

to me87
said by me87:

It's not likely any information gathered using this kind of of the unannounced spying could be used in a court of law or by CPS if that's what the remote monitor parent wants to do.
I'm not a lawyer but I listen to one on the radio.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to me87

Premium Member

to me87
Hmmm, my radar says don't get involved. I would suspect that the party that wants to install this particular type of software is looking to do more than monitor the kid. Which is illegal.

"....He wants to shut down the computer if his kid is using it improperly"..... isn't the mother capable of doing that from right there in the house? Why does he need to stealthly spy on them?

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

old_tech

Premium Member

Because one they cannot let go, two it is about control, and three if it is "messy", which in other terms, both parties need to be taken out to the woodshed and given the switch; the very last thing that needs to be done, is use the kids not only as pawns on either side, but also invade the trust of the kids and the other party. Just move on and be there for the kids, be hospitable to each other, and leave the grievances to let out in the arbitration.

me87
Iapetus

me87

Thank you for all the advice.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to me87

Premium Member

to me87
said by me87:

Someone asked me to find him a remote desktop type of program that will not alert the remote user. He wants to be able to shut down the computer if his kid is using it improperly

it sounds illegal to me.. i think you should discuss the matter with a lawyer before becoming a co-conspirator..