SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Watchdog sump pump/backup

Anyone here use a watchdog sump pump/backup?
I was looking to buy this, but not to sure..
»www.homedepot.com/p/Base ··· o-IKNvx4

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Yep I had one. I had the cheap $147 one. The only thing I didn't like about it was the battery. You have to fill it yourself which in its self isn't an issue. But you buy that box of acid and you end up with 1/4 of it left over. WTF are you supposed to do with it? My left over box is still sitting in the basement.

I dropped my little control box in the sump pit and fried it. So keep that in mind. You get that wet, it's done. I need to replace mine still and when I do will get the one you posted. The only difference is I'll spen a few extra bucks and get a maintenance free deep cycle marine battery instead of the crappy ones they sell at HD. I don't trust them.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
My parents have had the fancy one for many, many years. The main control box was replaced or repaired once, and the battery a few times.
adamtech78
join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

I have two pits.
One is near the water tanks and that pump almost never runs.
In the hours before the $h!t hit the fan on the 18th the main pump in the other pit would run every 5 minutes.

Both of the backups are watchdog backup only, meaning the main pumps were the existing ones in the house. The pit where it gets lots more action the original pump died and I replaced with a good brand (forgot) the pump is green.

On one of the models I always had problems. I replaced the battery, then the brain box, then everything (kept on returning to HD). I did even get free acid out of the deal. After things were sorted out both units are solid for 2 years. I check water level and add every few months.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to SuperNet

Mod

to SuperNet
I installed one of those at my sisters:

»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=1531

No major issues that she's told me so far, think it was throwing a battery alarm that she had to talk to Home Depot about. Personally I think they've made these a little too fancy for what they need to do.
whymeintrouble
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

whymeintrouble to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
i believe my parents have one of the dual battery setups. my dad's saved their basement this big last storm

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks everyone... I installed it.. Couple questions

»PVC rubber piece and other PVC ?'s , is it OK?

drmorley
MVM
join:2000-12-20
Three Lakes, WI

drmorley to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
It's a good model--go for the 1/2 HP model as the 1/4 HP model can't keep up when the main goes out and it's really raining.

If you're still in the in same area you're not far from me and I'd get a generator as the backup unit will only run for about 8 hours under a heavy load.

We're finally installing a 20KW whole home model in a few weeks.