uniqs
share rss forum feed

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

MoP Tank Pull ...Err, Poll

Poll
Which class do you feel is best in MoP (explain)?

Blood DK

Prot Pally

Prot Warrior

Guardian Drood

Brewhaha Monk

Votes:43

--
Absölution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 0/3 ToES, 1/13 ToT

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

Blood DK, self-heals and a lot of cd's to use. When played right can do amazing things.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31

^ this. I love tanking on my DK, dont care for tanking as pally though. Warrior is good, but DK is just amazing.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Even when I have all tank classes at 90, DK and Warrior are my favorite right now, DK for all mention above, and Warrior for PvP and pure badassness.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium
join:2000-08-12
New Boston, TX
kudos:1

Damnit, now i want to start a DK! lol

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Carpie

where is the "i'd rather eat class" or the "I'd rather heal" choices?

Carpie

united state
reply to Carpie

I have a Prot Pally, Prot Warrior, and GDrood that I've tanked with. I've only ever tanked dungeons with them though and have never played a Blood DK (or any other spec for that matter) or a Brewmaster Monk.

Out of the three, I chose Prot Pally even though I would probably choose the GDrood in raids if I were to tank with him. The only reason is for simplicity. I think the GDroods are simple to play and can have awesome dps. I always feel like things are available to me; that I'm not waiting on certain things to come off of CD. Bad side is that you don't get to show of your new gear.

Prot Pally is fun to play and I feel pretty unstoppable. My trouble with them is that their dps is just horrid. Not that I want them to be out dps'ing dps specs, but it's just painful to do daily stuff which requires one mob to be killed. Even multiple mobs seem slow (especially when compared to Druid). Plus they have the potential to be pretty complex (or if the glass is half full, have a lot of options available to them). For example, those of you that are great prot pally's talk about using your Hand spells correctly and as a base. I've never used a Hand spell. Ever :P My tanking interest (saying expertise would be a stretch) breaks down when I have to start casting spells on other players too. The greats about the Pally though imo, is that they are just awesome and are the epitomy of a knight/tank. It's nice to show off your gear in them.

The prot warrior is the in between the other two for me. Good dps, good survivability, but not mind blowing in either. Plus like the Pally, they have "a lot of options in which to draw from". For me that equates to more spells than I have buttons or attention span for. I like playing them but I like playing them as Arms better.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Carpie

I picked Blood DK, even though I normally tank on my Protection Paladin. A large part of that has been that my DK was in my personal guild. As a solo character the Blood DK had no health issues.

The Warrior is okay, but more work since you have more than a dozen skills you use when tanking.

I haven't ever tanked on a druid or monk. I am working my Horde Monk up as a brewmaster and we'll see how that goes.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Carpie

Prot Paladins are out of control.... they can solo 2 tank fights with near ease. Their healing and dps beats most people performing those roles, while tanking bosses. Its absurd the numbers they pull.... GG haste prot paladins..

Carpie

united state

said by Arsinic:

Their healing and dps beats most people performing those roles, while tanking bosses. Its absurd the numbers they pull.... GG haste prot paladins..

What? Where are you seeing Prot pallies put out absurd dps? I've seen Ret Pallies do it. I've seen good numbers on Blood DKs. But I've not remembered any Prot pallies putting any staggering numbers out?
--

Feralmordius

join:2011-01-18
reply to Carpie

Blood DK seem to be the top tank right now for self heals and dps numbers. Don't see to many monk tanks, not sure if they are still too new or it is a play style thing.

Pallys are great for self heal and raid heal but suffer on the dps side. They can only solo tank some mechanics because of their stack dropping bubble.

Guardian is what I am playing now just because I find it more fun.
--
Feralmordius on Ravencrest Server (US)
Tank for Pride and Ego

Taino

join:2010-10-15
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Carpie

»www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q···3%A0msey

Haste Prot is crazy at the moment. Right now Prot Pallies are the only tanks that can ignore certain mechanics because of SoTR's damage reduction.

Edit: Wrong Link
»www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/pla···der/dps/

Look at how many of the top DPS are tanks. Mostly Blood DK's and Prot Pallies

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2
reply to Carpie

I love my prot pally. Battle healer glyph , haste stacking , my bubble stack remover , and not to mention my sexy xmog too!!!

Currently leveling a monk brewmaster and almost 88 on that toon.

I have blood DK but I fell out of love with them once the inital MoP nerf's hit them. That and once we lost our other tank and we recruited a blood DK , i switched to the pally for class balance.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Carpie

No Brew monks??

Wishflthinkn

join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV
reply to Carpie

Love my DK but based on the comments here I will have to take a serious look at my Paladin. I have all 5 tanking classes at max level. Best DK (due to gear) worst Monk (Due to stagger mechanic and lack of play time/gear) Most fun Warrior (by far) ranks in playabilty DK, Paladin, Warrior, Druid, and then Monk IMHO. I am by no means an expert, just my experience in general. NTM I have seen some awsome tanks from each class and a geared Brewmaster is hard to keep up with on DPS on alot of mobs. I believe all of them will have those fights that they shine in for sure. TY all for giving me a reason to learn more about tanking on my Paladin.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
reply to Carpie

I just started playing blood spec on my DK from unholy. DPS is lower but survivability is so much higher. However my DK is just an alt that does farms, does dailies, and hunts rares mostly.

I haven't done instances or raids yet. I have tanked for the world bosses. Not quite geared for tanking yet but I did get a few drops from Galleon, etc.

It does seem like they are prone to huge damage spikes but that may be due to my gear.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Carpie

Brewmaster.

1. Dual-wielding tank. Seriously, it's fun. Yes, staff/polearm are options, but I feel my Elusive Brew charges are smoother DW than 2H. I've done both so far, and still prefer DW. That doesn't mean I won't use the best ilvl option I have at hand.

2. Monks tend to take less damage over the course of a fight, even though they have less armor. One major reason is Guard scaling the AP. High Vengeance=big bubble. Plus bonus healing to yourself (from yourself) while it's up. So it can be used both in anticipation of a big hit, or right after a big hit. Better used as a cooldown instead of replacing it any time the cooldown is up. Purifying Brew also lets you take a big hit and clear off the staggered damage instantly. Stagger also smooths your damage intake - making what could be spikier on other tanks less spiky. You will stagger every hit you take - that's the replacement for the extra armor all other tank classes get.

3. Ox Statue bubbles, while not as OP as Glyph of the Battle Healer for Paladins, also scale with the BrM's AP. Especially handy on fights with minor, but constant AoE.

4. Generally do more DPS, due to preferring Haste/Crit over Mastery by far, although just having "enough" haste and crit does allow some to start grabbing mastery.

5. Can queue up for LFR as DPS. Seriously, this is a huge benefit. If I don't have another tank queuing up with me, I am not trusting whatever stam-stacking LFR hero queues as tank for shorter times.

Some cons (not to me, but I've been a raid tank at some point since Vanilla)...

1. Lack of damage mitigation cooldowns. One's a talent, making you choose between magic or physical. I keep a stack of tomes on me at all times for talent switching.

2. BrM probably takes the most skill to do. At all times you have to keep in mind whether to purify the damage you have, or if there's a big hit coming, wait for it and then purify. Plus keeping shuffle up (noob BrM make the mistake of purifying too often, and shuffle falls off, instantly making them a hell of a lot more squishy) and managing Elusive Brew without "wasting" stacks over 15.

3. Perceived as "bad" tanks due to less stamina in gear, because stamina isn't really a priority. As long as you have "enough", which, for the most part, is that supplied by gear. In my 10-man my HP is ~500k or so buffed (Agi food/flask). Warrior tank's is creeping up on 700k. I still take less damage through the course of a fight. But I've seen BrM get VTKed in LFR because of not enough HP.

That all said, all tanks are viable for every fight - some may just have a tighter learning curve than others. Personally, I don't care what class a tank is, as long as they know wtf they are doing.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Taino

said by Taino:

Haste Prot is crazy at the moment. Right now Prot Pallies are the only tanks that can ignore certain mechanics because of SoTR's damage reduction.

Look at 10/25 heroic and count the Blood DK vs. Brewmaster Monks. Looking at raidbots, BrM are either 1st or 2nd dps in each category. BrM monks are a lot like DKs in Wrath. (Although not quite as bad) There's a lot more bad ones than there are good ones.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Carpie

Go look at WoL..

Go look at top tier progression guilds armories..

Prot paladins stacking haste in BiS gear is absurd.. Constant procs mean they can barely spend their holy power fast enough...

I think its jsut absurd how tank classes are at a point agian where they are wearing damn near full on dps stats/gear..

Blood DK's wearing dps tier gear lololol

Carpie

united state
reply to Taino

said by Taino:

Ok, I have officially seen the (holy) light on this. I've haste built my prot pally the last two weeks and found myself on my arse in shock last night as I was top dps much of the time, and total damage done overall for the 2nd wing of HoF and ToES LFRs. Now granted, it is AoE heaven so pulling the 160k dps (at not even ilvl 480 I don't think) isn't completely accurate, but 1) I AM A TANK and 2) everyone else had the same AoE opportunity.

I have a whole new respect for the Prot pally right now and can't wait to see what I can do with him as I continue to grow him. He's still just a Spring chicken atm.
--
Absölution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 0/4 ToES, 1/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 1/12 ToT

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium
New Boston, TX

What type of gear are you using to gear a Haste Prot Pally? Using ret gear or just reforging everything you can into haste?

Carpie

united state

I'm a mixed bag atm. I grab anything with Expertise/Haste that I can, but am queuing as tank so am getting tanking gear also. Hell I even have a purp PvP piece on that dropped from Galleon yesterday. As tier tokens drop, I'm going for the Ret set rather than Prot; balancing dps vs survivability. I've been reforging towards exp/haste but am still gemming Stam.

The toon is Thaylen on Eredar server if you are interested in looking him up.
--

Carpie

united state

Also just to note and cut off any possible criticism from folks that look the toon up, I'm purposefully not enchanted on all pieces. I'm not really trying to get him to optimal performance right now, just trying to get to a decent gear level so am not wasting enchants on anything less than 476. As I get decent pieces (or have need to tank a Normal), I'll start to optimize.
--

Taino

Reviews:
·Optimum Online

If you go full on into Haste as a prot pally you really need to get to 15% expertise. The reason for the haste is to generate HP faster and smooth out damage intake. Doesn't work though if you are being parried. I am still stacking mastery as I don't have enough expertise yet. 11% right now. That's fine for 5 mans and normal modes but once you get into heroics it gets harrier.

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium
New Boston, TX
reply to Carpie

will have to play around with reforging tonight on my tank to see how it goes

Taino

Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to Carpie

»www.sacredduty.net/
For all of your prot paladin needs I love reading the posts by Theck and Mellorie even if the math goes way over my head.

Carpie

united state
reply to Taino

said by Taino:

If you go full on into Haste as a prot pally you really need to get to 15% expertise. The reason for the haste is to generate HP faster and smooth out damage intake. Doesn't work though if you are being parried. I am still stacking mastery as I don't have enough expertise yet. 11% right now. That's fine for 5 mans and normal modes but once you get into heroics it gets harrier.

Nog. I am so far from optimal right now that it is frightening to think of what I'll be capable of once I get there. I've just been focused on getting my gear level up to 480 so I can get into ToT LFRs and then I'll start to try and optimize. Admittedly, my single target dps is nothing worthy of bragging about.
--

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Carpie

I am at 13%exp and 13% haste from gear/enchants/gems on my Prot Pally. My Ilevel is 501. Raid buff stam gets to about 624 to 626k depending on what food I eat. I just started using the enchant on my weapon that procs either Crit, Mastery or Haste. Going to try that out for a bit.

Could someone copy and post the text from the link, firewall is very unfriendly here.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mordred:

Could someone copy and post the text from the link, firewall is very unfriendly here.

It's an entire website/resource with lots of good protadin stuff. Well worth the time to browse through when you get home.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

cat666

join:2013-04-26
reply to Carpie

I've played all tanks, mostly only briefly and at low levels.

Prot Pally is my favorite, and the only one I ever tanked properly at end game with. It just feels natural and right.

Warriors are my second favorite, again it feels natural, but the toolkit is lacking compared to a pally.

Monks/Death Knights are both pretty equal from a tanking perspective. They are a bit fiddly to master and I never feel in control.

Druid tanking I just can't get to grips with.

Blood Death Knights are awesome solo classes though, I breezed through 85-90 without difficulty and could cope with huge amounts of mobs. As soon as I enter dungeons though, I struggle to keep aggro and seem to lose health like nobodys business. Much smoother transition on the pally.

I'm sticking to healing though.